Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How bad is this screw up?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you already have the Hornady collet puller, just get the right collet. It's cheap, and will likely do less damage to the bullets.

749-001-294WB
    Hornady Bullet Puller Collet/338/358 C
    Mfr Part: 392162
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The OAL seems short but these are pretty stumpy bullets and they need to fit the shortest chamber of my four CZs, which are all short CIP chambers anyway.
    I know how that goes - same deal with the Walthers I load for - just more used to seeing it be an issue with JHP/truncated cone profiles than round nose. I can load 124 gr Berry's plated round nose to 1.15", but MG JHPs have to be 1.075". Must be that the Brazos profile is stubbier than the average round nose.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I know how that goes - same deal with the Walthers I load for - just more used to seeing it be an issue with JHP/truncated cone profiles than round nose. I can load 124 gr Berry's plated round nose to 1.15", but MG JHPs have to be 1.075". Must be that the Brazos profile is stubbier than the average round nose.
    The main thing with my chosen OAL is that I'm chronoing just right in the ballpark for what Hodgdon says 5 grains of CFE-P should yield with a 115 grain LRN. That tells me that the volume of bullet I'm pushing into the case is about what it should be regardless of what the outside length is.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you already have the Hornady collet puller, just get the right collet. It's cheap, and will likely do less damage to the bullets.

749-001-294WB
    Hornady Bullet Puller Collet/338/358 C
    Mfr Part: 392162
    Thanks for the link. I'll order one in the morning.

Damn, this has me thinking about some loads I have that probably should be pulled. Lead bullets over Titegroup I loaded when you were loading the powder you could find. They are truncated cone and not sure a collet will grab them. They lead up badly but I will clean the lead before I will hammer out that many (probably still have ~1500).

Going downstairs to try that collet again...

ETA: Didn't work, just might not be enough straight part of the bullet protruding.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-28-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I was half thinking to shoot them, being that 6 grains is probably just inside +P territory, but decided against it. I've never blown up a gun and don't want to start now.
    That's the smart choice. This thread reminded me that I have a box of scary hot .44 mag that needs pulled, and that I need to order some more collets just in case.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

This is why you need a 9mm barrel for your Contender.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I like that idea more than pulling bullets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I'll start a GFM page........

Good thing you caught it, I’m always in fear of fucking up like this with Titegroup.
    #RESIST

User Tag List