Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How bad is this screw up?

How bad is this screw up?

6.1 - 6.2 grains of CFE Pistol in 9 mm mixed brass topped with a coated 115 gr RN, OAL 1.085"

I have two hundred like that. Best I can figure the ten grain weight got dislodged off its notch while setting up the beam scale and missed it while zeroing. Later on I noticed the powder drop micrometer was at an unusually high setting for what should drop 5 grains of powder. I stopped, re-zeroed the scale, and found I had been dropping right around 1.1 gr more than I wanted.

5 grains works out to be 1185 - 1190 fps. Everything in me says trash this ammo but I figured I'd ask if there were dissenting opinions.

The ONLY way I’d shoot them would be in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, then I’d throw the brass away.

Probably best to cut your losses and not look back.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The ONLY way I’d shoot them would be in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, then I’d throw the brass away.

Probably best to cut your losses and not look back.

Okie John
    I'll go shopping for a hammer puller on Monday and tear it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Dude, go shopping for a Ruger Blackhawk convertible.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Got an open gun? [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Got an open gun? [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately no.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Dude, go shopping for a Ruger Blackhawk convertible.

Okie John
    mine shot 357/38 great but factory 9mm was quite inaccurate presumably due to bore diameter being suited to rimmed revolver round. perhaps if loading 9mm getting the optimal bullet diameter can get better performance. i agree though its a very cool revolver if it worked better for me i would have kept it.

Hammer pulling ammo apart sucks but we've all done it.

Live and learn and enjoy all your fingers.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Should have one of those anyway - we're all human, and being able to pull apart our mistakes to salvage the usable parts is useful. 5.9 grains is listed as a max load on the Hodgdon site, but that's for a gold dot bullet at 1.125" OAL, so not directly comparable to a round nose at 1.085". It's hard to accurately extrapolate what 6.1 would do since the bullets and OALs are significantly different. My wild-ass guess is that they wouldn't be into proof load territory and therefore wouldn't blow up most modern, well built guns, but would be quite unpleasant to shoot. Definitely better to do the safe thing and pull them. Easy enough to reuse all of the components - just take the decapping pin out of your sizing die temporarily.

On a separate note, 1.085" seems really short for a round nose bullet - are you loading old profile Acme round nose and/or loading for a gun with an exceptionally short/tight chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Should have one of those anyway - we're all human, and being able to pull apart our mistakes to salvage the usable parts is useful. 5.9 grains is listed as a max load on the Hodgdon site, but that's for a gold dot bullet at 1.125" OAL, so not directly comparable to a round nose at 1.085". It's hard to accurately extrapolate what 6.1 would do since the bullets and OALs are significantly different. My wild-ass guess is that they wouldn't be into proof load territory and therefore wouldn't blow up most modern, well built guns, but would be quite unpleasant to shoot. Definitely better to do the safe thing and pull them. Easy enough to reuse all of the components - just take the decapping pin out of your sizing die temporarily.

On a separate note, 1.085" seems really short for a round nose bullet - are you loading old profile Acme round nose and/or loading for a gun with an exceptionally short/tight chamber?
    I used to have a hammer pullet but broke it years ago and never bought another one. Mostly because up until early this year most of my shooting was rifle or shotgun, and I do have Hornady collet pullers for 223 and 308 caliber bullets.

So being the tinkerer that I am I decided to try to pull a 9 mm bullet off with the 308 collet puller and it worked. It left symmetric indentations on the soft lead but they are in front of the ogive so they'll shoot fine.

I pulled five off and measured the charges, sure as shit they averaged 6 grains. Tomorrow I'll pull the other 195.

The cases don't need to be resized. Just need to reflare the mouths, for which I have a separate die. No need to worry about doing so on primed cases.

The OAL seems short but these are pretty stumpy bullets and they need to fit the shortest chamber of my four CZs, which are all short CIP chambers anyway.

Bullet is this one: http://www.brazosprecision.com/9mm-1...llet_p_43.html. They run fine at 1.085 OAL.

I was half thinking to shoot them, being that 6 grains is probably just inside +P territory, but decided against it. I've never blown up a gun and don't want to start now.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-27-2019 at 11:14 PM.

User Tag List