Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the .308 Ar question

the .308 Ar question

So, is there a community consensus what to get for an .308 Ar? I thought about outfitting one with a LPVO 1-8 or 1-10 and
    enjoy a universal rifle from hunting to defense. But reliability and spare parts availability is a must.
    The DPMS G2 looked promising, did it nosedive in longer tests? The Daniel Defense? Or is there no way around the pricy Knights?
    Or did the 6.5 to 6.8 calibers make the 7.62 obsolete anyway?
    Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    But reliability and spare parts availability is a must.
    Then LMT should be at the top of your list. A poor man's KAC .308.

Site Supporter
    I had an MWS with 18" SS barrel
    It was beautifully machined, flawlessly reliable, and heavy as shit. Shooting from a bench or prone was great, if you'll be humping it very far while hunting you msy want to look for a lighter option. Accuracy was good, but not great, or at least I wasn't great at shooting it exceedingly accurately. It was a solid 1MOA rifle but even with match ammo I couldn't get much better than that from it.

I would focus on three companies; Armalite, KAC, and LMT. These companies typically build a gun that runs correctly out of the box. You can swap uppers between all three companies. Spare parts availability is usually pretty good with all three companies. If you want to build additional lowers / uppers, Armalite and LMT consistently offer parts to do so. If you're a DIY gun plumber, Armalite and LMT are easier to work on.

What are you planning to with it? Any particular reason you’re choosing .308 over 6.5CM?
    #RESIST

.308 AR-10 to a AR-15 feels like a Glock 17/19 to a G20.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Here .308 is everywhere, while its even hard to find 300BLK, let alone 6.5. I thought the lightweight, smaller frame 308 Ar
    was a trend, but it seems it went nowhere. So a modern version of Coopers scout rifle can't be built around a semi?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I thought the lightweight, smaller frame 308 Ar was a trend, but it seems it went nowhere. So a modern version of Coopers scout rifle can't be built around a semi?
    The problem was everybody going their own way. Of the big boys, Savage got sold and Big Green continued its rolling self-immolation, as well as both companies having histories of less than stellar quality and race-to-the-bottom product management generally taking the shine off the times when they don't screw up. Smaller companies never really built the volume to get to market dominance. So there's no default standard pattern, as there is with AR15s.

Nothing says it can't be done, but it won't be as easy as with an AR. Personally, my sense of it is that the 6.8 SPC is as close as we're going to get to an optimized AR-15. I find the idea of the mid-size AR frame attractive, but I can't spool myself up to think I really have a hole that needs filling in between a 6.8 SPC AR and a bolt gun in whatever cartridge is under discussion that can't be filled by an Italian shotgun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Here .308 is everywhere, while its even hard to find 300BLK, let alone 6.5. I thought the lightweight, smaller frame 308 Ar
    was a trend, but it seems it went nowhere. So a modern version of Coopers scout rifle can't be built around a semi?
    This will likely change in the not to distant future with SOCOM going 6.5CM. I got a screaming deal on my daughter's .260REM, before it was cool,and love carrying and shooting it even though it is a single shot. The cartridges are very similar and were both considered by SOCOM to replace the 7.62x51. I heard that FN is falling all over themselves making belt fed barrels in 6.5....but my source has been away for a while.

Getting an AR to 3.5 kilos including optics, magazine, and sling would be a little tough. The 1 meter length is probably easier to hit in an AR, and 7mm/08 was also a spec caliber, but no need to be a purist. We live in a capitalist society you can have whatever you want, within some seemingly arbitrary limitations, both legal and market based.

I have an AR10 itch right now, and depite how some feel about the man and his antics, when my governor introduces the black rifle bill she campaigned on, I will be ordering something from the LaRue menu...the discount on the .308 suppressor with the build kit alone got me interested. And I think LL likes his LaRue stuff, if I recall correctly. The can will fit all the rifles currently in the safe, and will find its way to work on my 5.56 patrol rifle. Note to self: when I get promoted back to Head of Firearms, campaign for 6.5 patrol rifles....

pat

So, is there a community consensus what to get for an .308 Ar? I thought about outfitting one with a LPVO 1-8 or 1-10 and
    enjoy a universal rifle from hunting to defense. But reliability and spare parts availability is a must.
    The DPMS G2 looked promising, did it nosedive in longer tests? The Daniel Defense? Or is there no way around the pricy Knights?
    Or did the 6.5 to 6.8 calibers make the 7.62 obsolete anyway?
    Thanks for any input!
    I have a lot of experience with “large” frame AR’s.

I’ve owned:
    DPMS G2 (don’t buy one)
    Larue OBR
    Wilson Combat
    I’ve built 2 for myself

My current go to rifle for hogs, and deer under 200lbs is a Wilson Combat 300 HAMR. It’s lighter, less recoil, more accurate, and more reliable than any large frame AR I’ve owned. The Speer hot core works as advertised.

If I was going to purchase another large frame AR, I would buy a Wilson or a Barrett Rec 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Finding ammo for sale around you, [emoji2368], buy it online.

I’m firmly in the 6.5 camp, don’t own any 308’s anymore.

For the money your planning on spending on a quality large frame AR and your intended uses, I strongly suggest buying or building a 300 HAMR and ordering ammo online. I bought 500 rounds of Speer hot core from Wilson, shoots sub 1” all day with my 1-8 scope on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List