Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOW or SBS

AOW or SBS

I have a TAC-14, which I want to setup with a folding brace... legally. Now, already started getting the stuff together, but been going back and forth on whether I should mount a brace or stock on it.

If it is a brace, going to be a SBA3 on a Suarez adapter. Stock... I’m between the same setup and a Minimalist stock or a Magpul stock. I have the Minimalist on my D/I .45 AR, and the Magpul on my home defense shotgun (actually sitting in a safe in NJ until I do an addition and have a spot for it all).

I know I’m looking at a difference in the stamp cost; $5 verses $200. But are there any benefits going AOW or SBS?

We use 14” 870s at work, so I do kind of like the idea of having a similar setup at home. But I was also considering to toss it in my truck, along with my AR pistol. A compact AR probably can do a lot of what I could ask while off-duty... but I always been a fan of shotguns.

Thanks for taking a look.
    Last edited by Screwball; 12-27-2019 at 10:54 AM.

With a brace and no vertical grip it’s still a non-NFA firearm.

With a stock, it won’t be an AOW, it’d be an SBS.

Also the tax to “make” an AOW is still $200, the transfer tax is only $5.

Thanks for the cost explanation...

For the non-NFA point... it would be either an AOW (folding brace is under 26” OAL) or SBS (either folding or fixed stock with 14” barrel).

My question is if there is a benefit of going one over the other.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Thanks for the cost explanation...

For the non-NFA point... it would be either an AOW (folding brace is under 26” OAL) or SBS (either folding or fixed stock with 14” barrel).

My question is if there is a benefit of going one over the other.
    If you are going NFA just go SBS.

Going AOW with a brace is a waste.

Site Supporter
    If I am understanding the newest ATF rules correctly for measuring with a folding stock or brace in the closed position-
    - a factory original TAC 14 is a “firearm”
    - a TAC 14 with a brace is also a “firearm”
    - a TAC 14 carried concealed is now an “AOW”
    - a TAC 14 with a folding brace is also now an “AOW”
    - a TAC 14 with a butt stock is a SBS.

This sounds like a comedy skit on Saturday Night Live but it’s not funny in the slightest. It’s ridiculous.
    I hate when people call TAC 14s and AR pistols “rule bending”. I don’t have to like the laws I just have to follow them. They are not bending the rules or laws; they are following them.

So I can open carry my tac 14 because it is a firearm. I can conceal my AR pistol on my carry permit because it is a pistol.
    But what if I transport my TAC-14 in a case? A gun case? A tennis racket case?
    How did I do?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    If I am understanding the newest ATF rules correctly for measuring with a folding stock or brace in the closed position-
    - a factory original TAC 14 is a “firearm”
    - a TAC 14 with a brace is also a “firearm”
    - a TAC 14 carried concealed is now an “AOW”
    - a TAC 14 with a folding brace is also now an “AOW”
    - a TAC 14 with a butt stock is a SBS.

This sounds like a comedy skit on Saturday Night Live but it’s not funny in the slightest. It’s ridiculous.
    I hate when people call TAC 14s and AR pistols “rule bending”. I don’t have to like the laws I just have to follow them. They are not bending the rules or laws; they are following them.

So I can open carry my tac 14 because it is a firearm. I can conceal my AR pistol on my carry permit because it is a pistol.
    But what if I transport my TAC-14 in a case? A gun case? A tennis racket case?
    How did I do?
    Two issues:

You are using “firearm” when I think you mean what ATF calls an “other firearm.” To avoid confusion these are usually called “others.”

A Tac 14 does not become an AOW if carried concealed. You have itwrong.

ATF defines a “concealable” firearm as a firearm less than 26” in overall length (OAL). More correctly “readily concealable” but we will stick with “concealable” here. Per the last clarification, OAL for weapons with folding or collapsible braces is measured in the folded or collapsed position.

If it has a stock, it is either a rifle, shotgun, SBR or SBS depending on barrel length. Stocks are legally considered part of the firearm and count for OAL.

Braces are accessories per ATF definition, and thus not legally a part of the firearm. As such they do not count towards OAL.

An “other firearm” is a firearm without a stock, and an OAL of greater than 26”. It can’t be a rifle, shotgun, SBS, or SBR because it doesn’t have a stock and a stock is an essential element of the legal definition of a rifle, shotgun, SBS or SBR. Since it is >26” OAL it is not readily concealable per ATF definition and thus not an AOW.

An AOW is a concealable firearm (<26” OAL) without a stock designed to be fired with two hands - which in ATF legalese equals two grips, pistol or otherwise. Concealable firearms designed not to look like firearms like pen guns are also AOW but that is a separate discussion.

Even though we commonly shoot pistols with two hands on the one pistol grip now a days, the ATF devotion of a pistol is essentially a firearm designed to be fired with one hand. This is why putting a VFG on a pistol with a light rail makes it into an AOW.

An “other firearm” can have two pistol grips because it”s OAL makes it too large to be “concealable”/AOW.

So a stock Tac 14 or a Tac 14 with a brace, being >26” OAL is an “other firearm”

An “other firearm” remain an “other firearm” if you conceal it just like a title 1 rifle or shot gun remains what it is if you conceal it.

A Tac 14 with a folder becomes an AOW since it is less than 26” OAL folded.

An SBS remains an SBS if you add a folder because it has a stock.

Was looking into it... any truth that AOWs can cross state lines without ATF authorization? Looked at the ATF form (5320.20), and it states everything other than suppressors and AOWs (SBS included).

Not like that is a big deal for me, but those are the type of differences I was wondering about.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Was looking into it... any truth that AOWs can cross state lines without ATF authorization? Looked at the ATF form (5320.20), and it states everything other than suppressors and AOWs (SBS included).

Not like that is a big deal for me, but those are the type of differences I was wondering about.
    If you looked at the form, then you should have seen that it quotes the exact law, 18 USC 922(a)(4), which requires getting permission to for interstate moves. Read that part of the law and you'll get your answer.

Site Supporter
    I'd go SBS and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I'd go SBS and never look back.
    Why?

If you’re adding a brace to an other firearm, which doesn’t change the status of said other firearm...I guess I don’t get it.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 12-29-2019 at 04:34 PM.

User Tag List