Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AOW or SBS

A folding brace on a TAC-14 makes it’s OAL at 24”... since the brace isn’t counted to that measurement. If I was just adding a brace, then yes... would still be non-NFA.

I was hoping that going AOW would allow me to bring to NJ (originally from there), since it isn’t a SBS... those are illegal within NJ (funny aside... SBRs are lumped with SBSs in NJ’s legislation; all called “sawed off shotguns”). But they included AOW as a no-no in the TAC-14 approval letter. So, SBS might be the ticket.

If I go SBS, any issue going between a fixed stock and a side folder? I know OAL is asked, but wasn’t sure if that difference mattered.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    A folding brace on a TAC-14 makes it’s OAL at 24”... since the brace isn’t counted to that measurement. If I was just adding a brace, then yes... would still be non-NFA.

I was hoping that going AOW would allow me to bring to NJ (originally from there), since it isn’t a SBS... those are illegal within NJ (funny aside... SBRs are lumped with SBSs in NJ’s legislation; all called “sawed off shotguns”). But they included AOW as a no-no in the TAC-14 approval letter. So, SBS might be the ticket.

If I go SBS, any issue going between a fixed stock and a side folder? I know OAL is asked, but wasn’t sure if that difference mattered.
    Ostensibly, one should inform the ATF to update their record of the weapon if it is a permanent change, and you have no intent to swap it back and forth depending on need.

But as seen with SBR'd AR's going from 7.5in uppers to 11.5in uppers to whatever, so long as you have the parts on hand to return it to the 'papered' configuration on demand, there should be no issue. But IANAL.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Ostensibly, one should inform the ATF to update their record of the weapon if it is a permanent change, and you have no intent to swap it back and forth depending on need.

But as seen with SBR'd AR's going from 7.5in uppers to 11.5in uppers to whatever, so long as you have the parts on hand to return it to the 'papered' configuration on demand, there should be no issue. But IANAL.
    Thanks.

I guess it would come down to comfort with the folding setup. Ideally I’d want that level of compactness... but if it sucks to shoot, I probably would just do a Magpul stock (which is comfortable from use with my 870P).

Site Supporter

On an SBS OAL doesn’t matter. An SBS, having a stock, is still an SBS regardless of OAL. doesn’t matter if the stock is a fixed, folding or collapsible.

I have a TAC-14, which I want to setup with a folding brace... legally. Now, already started getting the stuff together, but been going back and forth on whether I should mount a brace or stock on it.

If it is a brace, going to be a SBA3 on a Suarez adapter. Stock... I’m between the same setup and a Minimalist stock or a Magpul stock. I have the Minimalist on my D/I .45 AR, and the Magpul on my home defense shotgun (actually sitting in a safe in NJ until I do an addition and have a spot for it all).

I know I’m looking at a difference in the stamp cost; $5 verses $200. But are there any benefits going AOW or SBS?

We use 14” 870s at work, so I do kind of like the idea of having a similar setup at home. But I was also considering to toss it in my truck, along with my AR pistol. A compact AR probably can do a lot of what I could ask while off-duty... but I always been a fan of shotguns.

Thanks for taking a look.

I guess it would come down to comfort with the folding setup. Ideally I’d want that level of compactness... but if it sucks to shoot, I probably would just do a Magpul stock (which is comfortable from use with my 870P).
    I have the the TAC14 folding brace setup from Suarez. I set it up before the ATF clarified their policy on measuring firearms with a brace. I swapped out the MIM extractor, springs, added a mag extension, an ardius crom rail and red dot. I also put a streamlight tl racker light on it. It is a handy little package. That said, I would not describe it as pleasant to shoot with that brace. It is bearable with low recoil buck and slugs. I shoot a fair bit of shotgun for work and I don't mind it but I would not want to shoot the TAC14 in a match or class.

I took the brace off and am in the process of filing a form 1 for it.

Whether to SBS it or AOW?

I bought this gun to travel with. It is a convenient little package for travel. So for me I am going to AOW it because they are allowed in the states I frequently travel to. Moreover, I don't have to worry about the SBS interstate notice issue as cited in 18 USC 922 above. If I was not traveling to a state that did not allow SBS or if I was staying in my home state I would just SBS it. The folding brace works but a proper stock is greatly preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimichanga View Post
    I have the the TAC14 folding brace setup from Suarez. I set it up before the ATF clarified their policy on measuring firearms with a brace. I swapped out the MIM extractor, springs, added a mag extension, an ardius crom rail and red dot. I also put a streamlight tl racker light on it. It is a handy little package. That said, I would not describe it as pleasant to shoot with that brace. It is bearable with low recoil buck and slugs. I shoot a fair bit of shotgun for work and I don't mind it but I would not want to shoot the TAC14 in a match or class.

I took the brace off and am in the process of filing a form 1 for it.

Whether to SBS it or AOW?

I bought this gun to travel with. It is a convenient little package for travel. So for me I am going to AOW it because they are allowed in the states I frequently travel to. Moreover, I don't have to worry about the SBS interstate notice issue as cited in 18 USC 922 above. If I was not traveling to a state that did not allow SBS or if I was staying in my home state I would just SBS it. The folding brace works but a proper stock is greatly preferred.
    I’m in the same boat with the Suarez brace... it is sitting in NJ until I get it squared away.

I had it with the SB SOB brace, which was only comfortable after getting a rifle sighted barrel (sight plane was raised a little bit). However, I just built an AR pistol using the SBA3 brace... and it feels A LOT better than the SOB (added the Split Fix). Recoil wise, it was noticeable, but only the cheekweld part bothered me when I first got it. Don’t think it was any worse than qualifying with our 14” 870s. I would think the SBA3 and rifle sights would be a good combination.

Only difference with doing a folding stock would be a Minimalist stock riding on the tube instead... and if I did a fixed stock, Magpul.

Was doing more looking into it, and while a SBS would make the TAC-14 a shotgun (would be illegal from Jump St going back to NJ entirely), swapping the brace setup with the original birdshead grip should allow the TAC-14 the ability to go into NJ (from how I read their letter approving these firearms; actually approves the Black Aces DT, which is why I did the folding brace in the first place... but that ship has sailed). Likelihood I’ll be bringing it down is moot... but rather have the ability to do so than not. Everything else I would consider a truck gun is illegal there... at least now (.45 AR would have been good with USC magazines... but it now wears a Minimalist stock).

User Tag List