Page 99 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post
    No, install is super simple and fast. The hardest part was the .039 punch. I had to order one from Brownells. It's not a common punch size outside of gunsmith circled.
    Well, shit. There goes one of my excuses for not buying a Python.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm very close to caving myself. A local LGS has several and I'm wavering between the three and four inch models. They also have a new, eight inch Anaconda. My God, that's a crew served weapon.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Pardon me while I whip this out
    Name:  Python.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  93.2 KB
    I went 4" because, frankly, the only wheelgun I'll ever CARRY for reals is a LCR, so getting the shorter barrel just didn't make sense to me. That and the fact that Colt opted for a single "vent" cut in the barrel, instead of milling two smaller cuts into the 3" barrel. If they'd gone that way, I might have gone shorter.

Fit and finish and workmanship are superb. BUT, whoever the communist SOB is who designed that rear sight had better never come near me. Damn near lost the TINY set screw first trip to the range. And the adjustments are neither predictable nor very discrete. I've already dropped a stoopid amount of money to backorder a Wilson replacement. I like the sight picture of the Harrison better, but I'm not trading one "needs three hands" adjustment method for an improved "needs three hands" system. ETA: it's also kinda crappy that Colt doesn't include a .050" allen wrench with these, since that's what you need to remove/loctite/reinstall the front sight set screw, and loosen the rear sight blade to make windage adjustments.

Who are we liking for leather for these?
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 11-09-2022 at 07:17 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Then comes the big issue for me: 3” or 4”? Carry more or range gun more?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

If you're just getting one, then the 3" is the way to go.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

That's a tough call. I'm happy with my 4.25-inch Python, but that's in part because I already have a 3-inch King Cobra which carries well and is my go-to trail gun.

The 3-inch Python was added to the California roster sometime in the not too distant past and they're just now starting to turn up in LGS up here, so today was my first chance to handle one. It feels good, balances well and feels lighter than the spec sheet would imply. The factory stocks are as some have mentioned a little larger than needed and a round-butt variant or even an aftermarket grip with the bottom rounded a bit would be an improvement to go with the shorter barrel. If I had to pick just one though, and didn't already have a 3-inch alternative, it would be a really difficult decision.

My WC rear sight should be here Friday, should be able to get that installed and tested fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    It's interesting that you say that. My BHP scabbard from Kramer is perfect, but the Commander one I ordered next doesn't hold nearly as snugly as I'd like. I sent it back once to be tightened up, and it came back with no real difference. I need to resend it.
    that's been my experience and hit rate with Kramer. They make ordering easy which is nice but they are not as safe as Sparks or especially Ralston.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have a 3 and a 4. I dont think the 3 gives up anything nor does the 4 gain anything. I know someone is going to say something about the longer sight radius but I can ding my 10" steel at 100 yards 6 out 6 times with the 3 inch. YMMV.

The pull to release on the Colt makes reloads different and it is something to consider for carry.

* I had something longer type out but shortened it to what's above.

You’ve been on the fence for a while. It’s inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have a 3 and a 4. I dont think the 3 gives up anything nor does the 4 gain anything. I know someone is going to say something about the longer sight radius but I can ding my 10" steel at 100 yards 6 out 6 times with the 3 inch. YMMV.

The pull to release on the Colt makes reloads different and it is something to consider for carry.

* I had something longer type out but shortened it to what's above.
    I bought a 4” before the 3” was introduced. The 3” is quite appealing though. What I really want is all three barrel lengths, for no reason other than I want them. Mine is a range gun. It will likely remain so.

For those looking for a robust sight for carry, this happened. https://www.dlsports.com/colt-python-sights.html

User Tag List