Page 93 of 132 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    recently got one of these .
    +1 for that Privateer Brigand, he made one for my 3" new model Cobra and I love it. If I ever buy a 3" Python it will be the first accessory I order.

Any recommendations for grips for small hands? For as popular as this revolver was and appears to be again there are not a ton of options for grips.

So far the best I've found are the Pachmayr with the open back strap. The wood ones that come with it are ok but slip around too much for me. The Hogues are too big. The closed Pachmayr grips are too big.

For reference, my absolute favorite grip is the stock grip that comes with the LCR. It's a perfect fit. I know I'll never get anything like that on a Python though.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post
    Any recommendations for grips for small hands? For as popular as this revolver was and appears to be again there are not a ton of options for grips.

So far the best I've found are the Pachmayr with the open back strap. The wood ones that come with it are ok but slip around too much for me. The Hogues are too big. The closed Pachmayr grips are too big.

For reference, my absolute favorite grip is the stock grip that comes with the LCR. It's a perfect fit. I know I'll never get anything like that on a Python though.
    Hogue has a custom shop. I ordered a stippled wood grip with a single finger notch through them. Oh, if you haven’t bought a set of Harrison sights, go ahead. They are great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You may end up having to make grips fit you.

Theres only a few factory grips ive really liked, so I started modifying others to be similar. You may be able to work down some wood grips to fit you, then have them checkered to suit your preference. Ive worked down rubber Hogues some also, it made them usable for me on the gun in question, they werent otherwise. The hardest part is getting started rasping on nice grips, but in the end its been well worth it to me.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    Hogue has a custom shop. I ordered a stippled wood grip with a single finger notch through them. Oh, if you haven’t bought a set of Harrison sights, go ahead. They are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    You may end up having to make grips fit you.

Theres only a few factory grips ive really liked, so I started modifying others to be similar. You may be able to work down some wood grips to fit you, then have them checkered to suit your preference. Ive worked down rubber Hogues some also, it made them usable for me on the gun in question, they werent otherwise. The hardest part is getting started rasping on nice grips, but in the end its been well worth it to me.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try some Altamonte classic grips with a small grip adapter by Pachmayr. I'm hoping that may be the trick. Maybe some grip tape on the back strap too since the new ones are smooth on the back strap.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try some Altamonte classic grips with a small grip adapter by Pachmayr. I'm hoping that may be the trick. Maybe some grip tape on the back strap too since the new ones are smooth on the back strap.
    I'm talking to my local, friendly enabler about the possibility of checkering the backstrap at 40 LPI. Definitely need some additional grip on the backstrap.

I'm talking to my local, friendly enabler about the possibility of checkering the backstrap at 40 LPI. Definitely need some additional grip on the backstrap.

I was thinking about why checkering on revolvers isn't a thing. I think it's because so many grip options cover both straps. My old Python has serrations on the back strap and I'd even take that if I could get it.

I've got little girl hands though so the grips that cover the grip frame are generally too big for me.

I was thinking about why checkering on revolvers isn't a thing. I think it's because so many grip options cover both straps. My old Python has serrations on the back strap and I'd even take that if I could get it.

I've got little girl hands though so the grips that cover the grip frame are generally too big for me.
    Same here. The Hogue mono grip is an open back strap. I went with them because the factory stocks, while nice looking, were not optimal for shooting. These are better, but still a bit large. If I were to do it over, I’d omit the finger groove altogether.

Same here. The Hogue mono grip is an open back strap. I went with them because the factory stocks, while nice looking, were not optimal for shooting. These are better, but still a bit large. If I were to do it over, I’d omit the finger groove altogether.
    Hogues was the first one I tried. I generally love their grips. This time it was just way too big for me.

I have the open back Pachs with the finger grooves removed on my 3 inch which seems to be the best I can do for trigger reach, I have short stubby fingers on xl hands. The closed backs work but puts the reach at maximum I can do.

I have a set of Rogers that I haven't been able to bring myself to removing the finger grooves, yet, that may be even better.

Rogers grips

User Tag List