Page 89 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Has anyone removed the grooves from the trigger yet? I know we discussed it a little here. The grooves make them really uncomfortable to shoot after a bit, my 4" isn't a sharp as the 3". I have the confidence that I can make the grooves go away with my Dremel, but I would really like to match the smooth radiused trigger that is on my GP100s, well of my Ruger revolvers and I am not sure if I can do that without mucking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Has anyone removed the grooves from the trigger yet? I know we discussed it a little here. The grooves make them really uncomfortable to shoot after a bit, my 4" isn't a sharp as the 3". I have the confidence that I can make the grooves go away with my Dremel, but I would really like to match the smooth radiused trigger that is on my GP100s, well of my Ruger revolvers and I am not sure if I can do that without mucking it.
    Have you tried just stoning the sharp parts until improved?

I rather like grooved triggers, but dont like sharp edges. A little time with a triangle ceramic stone tames the sharp parts nicely. I dont believe grooved equates to sharp edges, but theres poor execution of grooves, or perhaps poor finish work.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Have you tried just stoning the sharp parts until improved?

I rather like grooved triggers, but dont like sharp edges. A little time with a triangle ceramic stone tames the sharp parts nicely. I dont believe grooved equates to sharp edges, but theres poor execution of grooves, or perhaps poor finish work.

M issue is I almost mashed the end of my trigger finger off a couple years ago. The last 3/8 to 1/2 inch of my finger is totally numb, the rest of the pad all the way back into the first joint is hyper sensitive now. This makes the grooves feels much sharper than they actually are. I actually feel each ridge and they feel as thin as a razor. I don't have this problem with my support hand. In no way am I blaming poor workmanship on what the factory did.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    M issue is I almost mashed the end of my trigger finger off a couple years ago. The last 3/8 to 1/2 inch of my finger is totally numb, the rest of the pad all the way back into the first joint is hyper sensitive now. This makes the grooves feels much sharper than they actually are. I actually feel each ridge and they feel as thin as a razor. I don't have this problem with my support hand. In no way am I blaming poor workmanship on what the factory did.

Most unfortunate. I cut mine in a construction mishap some years ago, the tip of my trigger finger is also numb, but not hypersensitive. Ive regained some feeling but not back to normal.

It may indeed fall under the poor workmanship title if triggers have sharp edges. I think much of the smooth trigger fad came from poor work by Smith. Ive had many grooved trigger that were no problem whatsoever, even shooting 500 or 1000 rds in an afternoon, and a few, more apparent in later guns, that did have some nasty sharp edges. Now Smith makes smooth triggers because everyone seems to want them, and they get to save machine time milling grooves in triggers.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Last night at the range I shot my 4-inch Python and a Smith pre-model 17 of 1952 vintage. Both have grooved triggers, but the Smith has a heavier and narrower trigger with much finer and sharper grooving; and it was less comfortable than the Python trigger. Didn't shoot either one enough to be a problem, but the difference was really obvious. So I just pulled a couple of 1970's vintage Smith's out of the safe for comparison, a 14 and a 19, and each trigger is unique. They all have fine grooving, but the 14 trigger is so wide and light that it feels good, while the 19 has a slightly less aggressive grooving. The moderately wide Python trigger has wider but deeper grooves, seems a little more rounded at the edges and actually feels OK after the pre-17.

I'd really never paid that much attention before, looks like there's a great deal of variation by brand, model, and over time. It's more obvious on colder nights at the range. One more good reason to not shoot only on nice days or indoors.

Site Supporter

Harrison Sights Now Available

One of my few complaints about the new Python was the lack of a fiber optic front sight that is the correct height. The Marble version is too short. John Harrison today announced a replacement fiber optic front sight and rear sight blade. My order has been placed. I will report back with my impressions after sending some ammo down range.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/snak...colt-revolvers

Ordered.

Based on the detailed description on their website, I’m hopeful these solve most of my complaints about the stock Python sights. While not click-adjustable for windage (like SW rears), the tighter fit in the dovetail should be an improvement.

Site Supporter
    I examined a new Python at my lgs. In this specimen the action was outstanding. However, at the muzzle I saw numerous deep tool marks which indicated reamer chatter. Polishing would not remove these. The sight dismayed me.

Site Supporter

Harrison Sights for Python Installed

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    One of my few complaints about the new Python was the lack of a fiber optic front sight that is the correct height. The Marble version is too short. John Harrison today announced a replacement fiber optic front sight and rear sight blade. My order has been placed. I will report back with my impressions after sending some ammo down range.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/snak...colt-revolvers
    I today installed the Harrison sights on my Python. The front sight is the "correct" height, unlike the Marble replacement fiber optic. The .050" allen screw holding the front sight in place is tiny. Be very careful not to drop it. The rear sight blade took some sanding on the front edge and bottom of the dovetail. It fits snugly and has a deeper notch than the OEM blade.

I had only enough time to fire a few cylinders of 158 grain .38 special at 25 yards before dusk. I can say that the Harrison sights are a great improvement. A very nice revolver is now even better.

I installed mine on my 3” this morning but haven’t had a chance to shoot yet, too many coworkers took the long weekend off and I’m living in uniform for a few more days.

But I concur, they are a vast improvement over the factory sights with a much improved sight picture. With the factory sights I could just barely see the tiniest amount of light on either side of the front sight. I’d say it’s roughly analogous to your bone-stock factory Glock, obviously a very capable pistol but sporting their chunky plastic garbage sight picture, vs installing Trijicon HDs with the thinner XR front sight. It now feels much easier to line up the sights with equal and parallel light on either side of the front, and feels more pleasing to my eyes. The new sight picture just feels “right.”

The rear blade is what Colt should be using. In the pic, the Harrison blade is on the top with the factory blade below it. The stainless set screw being a McMaster-Carr replacement for the tiny factory offering (that I promptly lost), the much more substantial black set screw having come from Harrison. I’m doubtful this one will come loose as happened on my first outing with the Python.

The rear blade having to be fit to the rear sight base’s dovetail also gives me piece of mind that if the set screw were to come loose while shooting, it is hopefully less likely to drift under recoil. The fit was so loose with the factory blade that when the set screw loosened, the windage adjustment screw would turn with each shot and before I knew it I was hitting six inches left at 10 yards.

Consider me pleased, I just ordered another set for my 4”.

User Tag List