Page 88 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Got a link? There's just under eleventy-billion Python threads over there...

Thanks!
    The person who posted on that forum has his own blog. Your question relates to his blog entry of 12/5/21.

There’s a lot of information there, and most of it makes sense to my engineering brain, even if I do not personally have 100% confidence in a few of the things stated there and elsewhere in his blog.

Example:
    >Every internal part is made from Colt’s new stainless “Super Steel” that’s extremely hard and tough. Extremely. This steel is fully within the Manhurin and Korth league. I know this because I have owned a Manhurin and I own a Korth.
    With all due respect to the person who wrote that, the internals on MY two Pythons have a reasonable number of MIM parts. They are very good MIM parts, quite possibly the very best (supposedly made by Pratt & Whitney) but I’m not aware of any MIM being used in a $6K Korth.

https://www.heffronprecision.com/blog

Got a link? There's just under eleventy-billion Python threads over there...

Thanks!
    Yeah... I know, I spent a little time looking for it but hadn't come across it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The person who posted on that forum has his own blog. Your question relates to his blog entry of 12/5/21.

There’s a lot of information there, and most of it makes sense to my engineering brain, even if I do not personally have 100% confidence in a few of the things stated there and elsewhere in his blog.

Example:

With all due respect to the person who wrote that, the internals on MY two Pythons have a reasonable number of MIM parts. They are very good MIM parts, quite possibly the very best (supposedly made by Pratt & Whitney) but I’m not aware of any MIM being used in a $6K Korth.

Thanks, that helps quite a bit!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

So after 2 years and 860+ posts, I have a question.

If one wanted to add a Python to their 4” .357 fleet, are the new ones on par with the reputation of the originals or are the originals worth the $1K+ premium? The Colt slot is currently filled by a Trooper MKIII but there’s a gentle nudge telling me there should be a Python in the mix as well.

This hypothetical Python purchase would just be fondled and a range toy seeing .38s 95% or more of the time.
    I don't have a lot of experience with old Pythons; Looked but beyond my price range as a young guy in the late 1970s, more recently have fondled several over the years and declined to pay what I thought were excessive asking prices. So all I can really say is, they're pretty, and if I'd bought the best of the recent "deals" it still would have been 33% over the price of a new one, and I'd have been hesitant to ever actually shoot the thing.

My new Python is a four-inch, acquired in December 2021, and except for the rear sight I'm very happy with it. Fit and finish are excellent, and the cylinder clicks shut with a precision feel better than any other revolver I own. The factory grips fit my hands nicely. The trigger is excellent, very smooth, in a league that only some of my 1970s and older S&Ws can equal (although not the same, as anyone who has tried both can attest, both excellent but at the same time different from each other). The sight would perhaps be OK for range use, I quibble mostly because I sometimes carry revolvers for days at a time in steep/rugged backcountry and want something pretty robust... something more confidence inspiring than one little tiny set screw holding the windage in place. In a perfect world I'd make them a touch taller too, for that range use they're already pretty good at, although really I have no issues with the sight picture as is.

So my answer is that after careful thought I went for a new one and am happy with that decision. After passing several times on paying a premium for an older Python safe queen, and following the early part of this thread, I then bought a new production Python that I think is of better overall quality than most new revolvers I've looked at in recent years, and that I'm not afraid to shoot, and... this is a big one for me... I don't need to do a lot to it out of the box. Once a more robust aftermarket rear sight option is available, mine will be basically done and I'll be very happy with it.

So it's kind of the opposite of a S&W, where I usually seek out old ones in good condition, rather than buying a new one for the same or slightly more and assuming a need to do a fair amount of work to make it right.

Colt on the other hand is two for two, the 3-inch King Cobra is rapidly becoming my favorite trail gun while the Python is becoming my favorite range gun. I'll do a separate post on why when there's time, it's more about my personal needs/wants but what matters for this post is that both needed only minor things to run out of the box.

So for the Python, my vote is new production for anyone other than a collector.

Ran a bunch of Norma .38 spl through one of the Pythons today on a steel challenge stage (Pendulum).

That was a very satisfying session, that DA action is particularly good under time pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter

C&S Fiber Optic Front Sight

Has Cylinder and Slide announced when their fiber optic front sight will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    They are very good MIM parts, quite possibly the very best (supposedly made by Pratt & Whitney) but I’m not aware of any MIM being used in a $6K Korth.

1) Interesting on the source for Colt's revolver MIM parts. Is there even a rumor-mill answer for who their frame/barrel/cylinder vendor(s) are?

2) That website is just... amazing. For all the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    1) Interesting on the source for Colt's revolver MIM parts. Is there even a rumor-mill answer for who their frame/barrel/cylinder vendor(s) are?

2) That website is just... amazing. For all the wrong reasons.
    Yes, that website looks like something from, oh, 1994. However, I think it’s best that the fellow behind it focuses on his work rather than chasing a better looking website.

FYI Dave Lauck of D&L Sports indicated in an email he’s working on a replacement Python rear sight.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My step dad owned a 2”. I loved shooting it. I wish he hadn’t sold it. I loved the action. While the 2020 version isn’t as good, I still love it. Picked up and shot today. Just a range gun for me, but I’d love to throw in some .357 and stow it in a sock drawer. Target is from 25 yards using cheap 38 ammo. Never been a good revolver shooter. Definitely need to get better.

Name:  CB56A8FB-48D8-4710-8E9E-34613A8CDEA4.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  E1D8D6A2-0515-4497-9D53-2000BCD13FC7.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  43.6 KB

User Tag List