Page 80 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Was wondering something similar; except that instead of looking at the jobbed out sights, which are reportedly "all over the place" dimensionally, looking at a few Python frames. Colt's is supposedly holding remarkable tolerances on the in-house work.

It would seem to be in Colt's best interest to encourage quality aftermarket parts. Facilitate minor mods that address a variety of user preferences, and in theory that sells more revolvers in the long run. Providing a drawing for the sights shouldn't be very difficult.

Completely unrelated: I put another 60 rounds downrange tonight, this is rapidly becoming my favorite range toy. 148gr HBWC with the old 2.7gr Bullseye load are scary accurate out of the 1:14 twist Python barrel, and hardly any recoil. Weird thing is, it's as easy to shoot well double action as single action because of the smooth DA trigger. I could shoot this thing all night and have fun doing it (if I could replenish those primers).
    I think in this case the prints should specify the dimensions of the top-strap cut, locating pin-holes, and rear sight dimensions all in one document. Simplifying the process of converting their existing Elliason-type CAD drawing to match the specs of the Python. All they basically would do is duplicate their existing file and punch in the new specs and it run off a prototype.

I get it from the perspective of making it easier on Kensight. Basically, they want the Colt drawings, because it would simplify the process and make sure they can machine to the exact specified tolerances and dimensions. Reverse engineering only gets you close. Probably close enough, but maybe not...and you don't want to deal with a bunch of people bitching about how their sights don't fit right/zero/etc.

Y'all are killing me with the Python talk...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Y'all are killing me with the Python talk...
    Tell me about it!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Tell me about it!
    The 3" gun has my jonesin' like a meth-head on his way home from CVS with a shopping bag full of sudafed.

The 3" gun has my jonesin' like a meth-head on his way home from CVS with a shopping bag full of sudafed.
    I held one the other day at the LGS, they are asking $1699 locally. I prefer my 4.25" over the 3".

I have been in a conversation with Colt about the rear sights in trying to find "best practice" and I have been give torque specs for the screws, list below. The dude I talked to also recommended blue or purple Loctite on the set screws. They(colt) seem to be aware that the sights are lacking and that there are a few after market makers that are willing to give it a try if they could get the right information. Maybe just a little ray of hope...

Front sight screw - 4.5 inch pounds

Rear sight set screw - 3 inch pounds

Grip screw - 3 inch pounds, no loctite

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Tell me about it!

Its just a credit card payment plus I will get Cabela's points that I can use to buy ammo. Dang website wouldn't take cash.

I actually have the cash that I have been saving for a Ruger 1894, since they aren't due to hit the market until Q4, I'll use that to pay the card off before the payment is due.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I held one the other day at the LGS, they are asking $1699 locally. I prefer my 4.25" over the 3".
    I have long, long, long, lusted after a 3" Python. But the prices took the originals well out of my ability.

A new one will be mine. It is a Grail Gun for me.

It's not going to be cheap - because a stock one won't do.

Elliason rear sight
    Gold bead front sight
    Polished and then coated with DLC Black to give it as close to a 'Royal Blue' as you can get on a stainless gun

I haven't decided on grips yet, but Keith Brown made Ropers are near the top of the list...

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    If anyone’s been waiting, the Colt tritium front is back in stock at Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...97-228116.aspx
    WAY too short to use for the Python. Colt CS knows there’s a problem with the Brownells listing, that sight is really only appropriate for the KC and Cobra models, NOT. the Python… unless you want to hold 6” low at 25 and a foot low at 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    WAY too short to use for the Python. Colt CS knows there’s a problem with the Brownells listing, that sight is really only appropriate for the KC and Cobra models, NOT. the Python… unless you want to hold 6” low at 25 and a foot low at 50.
    That’s no good. Mods, feel free to nuke post #786.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    That’s no good. Mods, feel free to nuke post #786.
    Not your fault, Brownell’s listing, the product bag, and the product description all say the thing works for the Python- except, it really does not.

User Tag List