Page 7 of 132 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Weren't Pythons expensive guns even when they were new and commonly available? Why in the hell would they be used in this fashion?

Chris
    Though they were shiny, they weren't the "New Shiny". That honor was bestowed upon the Beretta 92FS which the agency was in the process of transitioning to. And just because they carry sidearms, it doesn't mean that all cops are gun guys. It was a sad sight and I still cringe, almost 30 years later.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Farm and Fleet Rantoul, IL 1982. In the case sat a Dan Wesson 15-2 and a Colt Python. I had to make a decision. Being a poor college kid, I chose the DW, and had money left to buy a padded case, a few boxes of ammo, and have beer money left.

The ignorance of youth.

I’d like to see a pic of one of these. Just because....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Though they were shiny, they weren't the "New Shiny". That honor was bestowed upon the Beretta 92FS which the agency was in the process of transitioning to. And just because they carry sidearms, it doesn't mean that all cops are gun guys. It was a sad sight and I still cringe, almost 30 years later.
    So these where "surplus guns" that had been in use and now replaced with the new Berettas? I suppose that makes some sense. My initial thought was that they were purchased specifically for this role, which seems like buying a Mercedes to run in a demolition derby.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    So these where "surplus guns" that had been in use and now replaced with the new Berettas? I suppose that makes some sense. My initial thought was that they were purchased specifically for this role, which seems like buying a Mercedes to run in a demolition derby.

Chris
    Yeah. If the only alternative was cutting them up or melting them into slag, then I reckon the right call was made.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Farm and Fleet Rantoul, IL 1982. In the case sat a Dan Wesson 15-2 and a Colt Python. I had to make a decision. Being a poor college kid, I chose the DW, and had money left to buy a padded case, a few boxes of ammo, and have beer money left.

The ignorance of youth.

I’d like to see a pic of one of these. Just because....
    I have a similar tale of woe. I believe the year was 1979, my choice was between a Security Six or a Python at a LGS. Also, being a poor college kid I choose the Ruger. Which I still have (as well as my youthful ignorance some would say), and occasionally dust off and enjoy.

I try not to think about the respective resale values.
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 12-31-2019 at 02:09 PM.

There was talk of Uberti toying with the startup of a Python clone. I am sort of glad they are not doing that. If any new Python is being made, I would prefer COLT to attempt selling a modern manufacturing model.
    ( Let Colt sink or swim by their own merit and business skills)

Uberti would , most likely , make a finely fitted Python replica .
    Custer wore the 1st "Arrow shirt".
    Given the size & power of “Ivan”, we must now … and ever be Vigilant.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
    There was talk of Uberti toying with the startup of a Python clone. I am sort of glad they are not doing that. If any new Python is being made, I would prefer COLT to attempt selling a modern manufacturing model.
    ( Let Colt sink or swim by their own merit and business skills)

Uberti would , most likely , make a finely fitted Python replica .
    It’s not like Colt hasn’t sold re-branded Italian clones of their former products before.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s not like Colt hasn’t sold re-branded Italian clones of their former products before.
    Makes you wonder about a new Python, doesn't it?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Makes you wonder about a new Python, doesn't it?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    I’m kind of excited about this. My only experience with Pythons was at the academy where they were used for force on force training. Bright stainless Pythons, piled up in milk crates, by recruits that had no idea what they were. I still cringe when I think about the sight of those high polished revolvers being treated like Raven .25 autos in an evidence locker. Sigh.
    The two "red gun" rifles I had a FLETC to train guys with?? An HK-416D, and a COLT M-16 (not an A1, a no fence, no Forward assist, three pin, early 60s M-16). They were tossed around quite a bit. absolutely tragic.

THere is a post somewhere archived on here, where i document being on a "gun destruction detail" for the feds. Two UHaul trucks full. It was tragic.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List