Page 65 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

I havent kept up with this thread well, will there be blued ones coming out?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I havent kept up with this thread well, will there be blued ones coming out?
    The Colt rep says bluing would add $1,000 to the price. Start at the 9 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I now have about 150 rounds through my new Python. A few more initial thoughts:

1. Safariland Comp II speed loaders clear the OEM grips, barely. Other than that faint praise, they are abominable.

Attachment 79782

2. The new production Python fits just fine in my JMCK Ruger GP100 MC holster.

Attachment 79783

3. I believe the Python is the most accurate revolver I own.

4. Perhaps due to the more highly polished finish, the Python cleans up easier than my S&W stainless revolvers.

What vintage is your JMCK? The reason I ask is the holster I got for my GP100 WC, early 2021 vintage, the Python barrel spreads the holster so nothing else make contact. I think I read where JMCK changed types molds. I am also wondering if the WC mold is different. Just gathering information before I email Tony. I highly agree with #3 and 4 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I sent more rounds down range today. The Python continues to run smoothly with no issues. I'm in discussions with Josh Bulman about a holster, belt, and speedloader pouch. He's trying to determine if his old Python mold will work.

Working with https://vintagegunleathertoday.com/ we determined that any closed toe holsters would most likely not work due to the .25 inch required by the Canadians to not be evil. Keep that in mind if having one built, other than that it should be no problem.

More church & failure drill work, this time at 25 yards. Full power .357 from the holster, DA, under 3 seconds par for the single churches, and 3 seconds from low ready with .38 spl for the failure drills. (I can assure you the “interesting” dental grouping was not intentional).

Mind you the 4/6 performance is not acceptable, but pretty typical.

It has taken me a while to get to this point, with lots of dry fire on snap caps and skip loading drills.

I have a feeling that it will take continuous effort to support this sort of thing for me, but it has been fun and educational. I can see the positive results of taming the DA and refining my grip when running my other pistols.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'm beginning to see new Pythons going for MSRP on GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm beginning to see new Pythons going for MSRP on GB.
    I paid MSRP for both of mine at my lical Sportsmans Warehouse within the last couple of months. My first centerfire revolvers, and they are outstanding!

It has always been possible to get one for MSRP if one is patient and smart about where they shop. I am not necessarily either of those, but paid below MSRP on one (even after tax and transfer fee) and right at that number for another.

Mind you, MSRP used to be the number the manufacturer would put out there so that you would feel like you got a deal on street prices that were 5 to 15% less… not what one would expect to pay, in the Before Times.

I’m just happy to see mainline ammo calibers getting down to something a bit less painful- but still far from, say, 2017.

@Archer1420

Are these both (post 628) 4.25" or is one a 6"? Struggling with the angle & a latter post (644) also looks like a 6" to my eyes. Thanks.

The easy way to spot the difference in a Python between 4.25 (or original 4) and 6 is the number of vents in the top rib. 4’s have two, while 6’s have three.

Both are 4.25”.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The easy way to spot the difference in a Python between 4.25 (or original 4) and 6 is the number of vents in the top rib. 4’s have two, while 6’s have three.

Both are 4.25”.
    Thanks. I never noticed that. Good tip and beautiful guns.

User Tag List