Page 58 of 132 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Email from Hogue gave me a preview of the grip(s) I’ve ordered.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter

More about the grios please

Those grips look fabulous. What exactly did you order? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Those grips look fabulous. What exactly did you order? Thanks!
    Top finger groove, stippled, with a speed loader cut, in Pau Ferro.

Had to email customer service to get it rolling. Hogue CS have been very good in communicating during the process. Started back in late August with an inquiry and they’ve been keeping me updated with progress throughout the wait. Right up front they said it’d be at least 60 days to process the order once I committed and we’re pretty much on track.

Site Supporter

Shots fired

I bought a 2021 production 4" Python this morning. I zeroed on steel at 25 using my coated 158 grain SWC 38 special load. This is a beautiful revolver with a very nice trigger. It shoots. That said, it has some shortcomings:

1. The factory grips are horrible. The backstrap tries hard to rotate down in my hand.

2. The windage adjustment in the rear sight is wonky. The shooter must first loosen the tiny set screw using a .050 hex wrench. I happened to have one. I suspect most don't. There are no clicks when making the windage change. It feels sloppy and unrepeatable.

3. A fiber optic front sight would be a big improvement over the factory red ramp. Unfortunately, these are very difficult to source.

All in all, I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase.

Name:  20211031_114751.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  20211031_131603.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  30.2 KB

I know Caleb got a good specimen. However, can anyone say conclusively how much (which) parts are MIM? Have the loose side plate, non-revolving revolver, muzzle crown, and light strike issues been resolved in the latest incantations across the board, or is this revolver still teething? Thanks.

Site Supporter

Link to photos of internal parts

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I know Caleb got a good specimen. However, can anyone say conclusively how much (which) parts are MIM? Have the loose side plate, non-revolving revolver, muzzle crown, and light strike issues been resolved in the latest incantations across the board, or is this revolver still teething? Thanks.
    Here's a link to some good content: https://www.coltforum.com/threads/ne...ctures.388306/

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Colt put a video out months ago directly addressing all the issues (which is rather ballsy for a gun company… looking at you, SIG…), and it’s pretty clear (from my sample of one) that currently shipped examples have all these solved- another example of why waiting after a new item is introduced has always paid off for me, personally.

Site Supporter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    Top finger groove, stippled, with a speed loader cut, in Pau Ferro.

Had to email customer service to get it rolling. Hogue CS have been very good in communicating during the process. Started back in late August with an inquiry and they’ve been keeping me updated with progress throughout the wait. Right up front they said it’d be at least 60 days to process the order once I committed and we’re pretty much on track.
    Thanks! I just placed a phone order for the same grip in cocobolo with a smooth finish:

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/colt-...ove-stripe-cap

The Hogue customer service rep was very helpful. She indicated that this grip is cut for standard speedloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Thanks! I just placed a phone order for the same grip in cocobolo with a smooth finish:

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/colt-...ove-stripe-cap

The Hogue customer service rep was very helpful. She indicated that this grip is cut for standard speedloaders.

The whole process has been pleasant.

I asked for a little extra off the left side.

Just a note to mention that my 4.25” example seems to really like the Underwood 158 grain Gold Dots. A rather zesty load, but for me, quite accurate at 25 yards offhand in DA. For me it outperformed the (much less spicy) Golden Saber loads and matched the Federal AE 158 soft points in terms of group size (but not impact point, the AE rounds impact higher, as one might expect given the lower velocity of the AE round). I shot 40 rounds of the Underwood and the accuracy was very good in my opinion. (My nerves afterwards, perhaps a bit less so… )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List