Page 53 of 132 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Yup, and It'll run through lever guns in the .38 case as well.

I do prefer it in .357 cases as I'm really smitten with it at 1200fps. They're being carried as we speak.
    Yup, it'll fit in M19/66 cylinders due to the longer cylinder length. When I first tried them in my M27 (lo, these many years ago!) and they didn't fit, I used them in my M19. I haven't tried them in .357 brass in L frames.

Update: 38 is scarce around here, there is no 357 to be found I don’t reload (yet, anyway) and don’t have any other revolvers. I was able to buy 2, 50 boxes and have put 99 rounds through it. 1 round of Winchester white box, 130 grain jacketed, failed to fire. Primer strike was good, writing it off as a dud. Overall, I’m very happy with this gun.
    A couple of minor quibbles. The grips aren’t great. I don’t feel like I’m getting the best hold on the gun. The space between the rear of the trigger guard and the grip itself needs to have more fill. Considering a set of Hogue wood grips. Stippled wood is an option, so I might go that route.
    The rear sight notch isn’t very deep and the face of it is… busy. I’d like an Elliason style rear blade, but reproduction Elliason’s, like Kensight’s, won’t fit. I was hoping that Bowen would release a Rough Country rear sight but a very nice email reply from Mr. Bowen himself, indicated that isn’t on any roadmaps for now.
    Last, the trigger. It’s flat faced with serrations and I think it would benefit if it had a rounded profile. I’ve been dry firing it a lot and my index finger gets sore where it rubs on the edge. It’s not razor sharp, but it’s a hot spot after 20-25 dry fires. I don’t have the issue with my Beretta 92.

None of these things detract from the overall appeal of the Python, though. I am enjoying learning about shooting revolvers and welcome any advice on becoming proficient with them.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If that’s a Lyman 358429 or a copy thereof, it was designed as a .38/44 bullet rather than a .357 bullet. You need to load it in .38 Special brass. Do some research on .38/44 or .38 Heavy Duty loads. I have some I’ve loaded in .38 brass over six grains of Unique and it runs 1070 fps from my 4” M28. Note that this load is considered too hot to run in most .38s and is usually shot in.357s.
    They can be loaded in .357 cases by seating & crimping over the front driving band.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    They can be loaded in .357 cases by seating & crimping over the front driving band.
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that? Alternately, you can load them in .357 brass and crimp them in the crimp groove and shoot them in a K frame .357, the cylinders are long enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I always though it was an old wives tale... it would be VERY difficult to do unless you had CHF barrels, which Colt did not. Or you could use a special, long tapered reamer.

The "silver ball" treatment (if it was used) would not produce a tapered bore.

Probably the secret of the python barrels was simply that they were very well made, and even most important, with a 1-14" twist rate that is faster than the 1-18 3/4 used by S&W and better with wadcutters.
    Dick Metcalf described having seen the silver ball treatment in “Shooting Times” back in the 80’s.

Colt would not reveal the composition of the ball, but he said the bore was mirror bright afterwards.

I have read both claims but you can't have it both ways.

Ball burnishing is a standard industrial process, but I don't know how to form a tapered bore in mass production.
    I don't even know how Harry Pope did it custom. He said he did not emery his barrels. Maybe he was covering up with a narrow term, maybe he used some other lapping compound.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I have read both claims but you can't have it both ways.

Ball burnishing is a standard industrial process, but I don't know how to form a tapered bore in mass production.
    I don't even know how Harry Pope did it custom. He said he did not emery his barrels. Maybe he was covering up with a narrow term, maybe he used some other lapping compound.
    It could be done with a tapered bore relying on spring back of the steel, but it wouldn't be consistent at all, certainly not in a production process. I could be wrong but don't think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that? Alternately, you can load them in .357 brass and crimp them in the crimp groove and shoot them in a K frame .357, the cylinders are long enough for that.
    I never knew they would fit in a K-frame.

All I ever cast and loaded were shot in my Ruger OMBH. The first time I cast any I loaded in .357 cases and seated to the groove, then found they were too long for the Ruger or a Model 27 I had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Sent my sample of one back to the factory for repair. I assume that they will convey the nature of the defect and the fix when I get it back. I will share any helpful information I learn.
    Hieronymous, any update with your Python?

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Hieronymous, any update with your Python?
    Sorry, actually not. My dealer struggled to get a repair return ticket during the transition from Colt to CZ; rather than remain in limbo, he gave me the option to return it, and I took him up on it. I’ll have to scratch the Python itch another time.

User Tag List