Page 52 of 132 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Good luck. I see many for sale on the internet so don't get too crazy.
    https://www.customshopinc.com/produc...-hard-case-31/
    Hmmmm. I counted my pistols/revolvers yesterday, and I have twenty nine! Many are duplicates, and even triplicates. I’ve been tempted to sell a bunch, and then buy one stupidly priced revolver or 1911. The Python isn’t priced stupid enough right now, but it does have a trigger that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I just had my first oops with my Colt, more me and load than the gun. None of this was the guns fault. It is still shooting really small groups

I loaded up some 170gr SWC from Rim Rock for field use and proceeded to lock the gun up. Who knew Colt has shorter cylinders? I did but it escaped me somehow. I loaded the rounds to the front of the crimp groove and applied a moderate roll crimp. I was crono testing and was only loading 5 at a time and as luck would have it I rolled the empty chamber across the forcing cone. The cylinder would not rotate nor could I get it open. It took a minute to figure out what was wrong, see picture. I had to shave the bullet down to an angle with a knife and it still took a soft tap with a rubber handled screwdriver to open up the cylinder.

The ammo shot great in three Rugers and I now have a dilemma if I want to have a heavy load for the Python, I will have to trim the brass shorter or find a different bullet. I may just stick with 158s in this one.

Good to know. The rimrock 158 swc-wn is a great bullet too.

The 170s don't work in my M92 either

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Hmmmm. I counted my pistols/revolvers yesterday, and I have twenty nine! Many are duplicates, and even triplicates. I’ve been tempted to sell a bunch, and then buy one stupidly priced revolver or 1911. The Python isn’t priced stupid enough right now, but it does have a trigger that I like.
    Never count pistols/revolvers. My wife asked me one time how many I had and I truthfully don't know. It's in a spread sheet on my external HD but offhand I can't tell her. My reply is always how many pairs of shoes do you have? If I had to guess it's a dozen but who's counting? I only have a pair of duplicates. I'm a piker.

I read somewhere that the average US gun owner has 7 firearms, or a firearm for every person in the US.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-10-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@Borderland
    Half of those pistols are my wife’s…🤣 She wants one of everything I have, and goes through rounds like a they’re a bag of popcorn. It’s guaranteed that if I show her the Colt Python, we’ll be ordering one.

My wife pounding 100 rounds of .45 acp through a 1911:
    Last edited by FrankB; 07-10-2021 at 08:21 PM.

I just had my first oops with my Colt, more me and load than the gun. None of this was the guns fault. It is still shooting really small groups

I loaded up some 170gr SWC from Rim Rock for field use and proceeded to lock the gun up. Who knew Colt has shorter cylinders? I did but it escaped me somehow. I loaded the rounds to the front of the crimp groove and applied a moderate roll crimp. I was crono testing and was only loading 5 at a time and as luck would have it I rolled the empty chamber across the forcing cone. The cylinder would not rotate nor could I get it open. It took a minute to figure out what was wrong, see picture. I had to shave the bullet down to an angle with a knife and it still took a soft tap with a rubber handled screwdriver to open up the cylinder.

The ammo shot great in three Rugers and I now have a dilemma if I want to have a heavy load for the Python, I will have to trim the brass shorter or find a different bullet. I may just stick with 158s in this one.

Is that a new Python? If I were to buy one, 158 would be my standard load. That seems odd that the cylinder is too short for 170. That's a well known bullet weight for casters.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    @Borderland
    Half of those pistols are my wife’s…🤣 She wants one of everything I have, and goes through rounds like a they’re a bag of popcorn. It’s guaranteed that if I show her the Colt Python, we’ll be ordering one.

My wife pounding 100 rounds of .45 acp through a 1911:
    Well damn. She's a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Is that a new Python? If I were to buy one, 158 would be my standard load. That seems odd that the cylinder is too short for 170. That's a well known bullet weight for casters.

Yup, it is a new one. I read some where about the shorter cylinder having some issues with heavier bullets and never gave it any though until this happened. I did some research and have found that I really need to pay close attention to the nose to crimp groove measurement. There are some 158 that will be to long for the Colt. I am working up a load that I can take a whitetail with and secondary use for where I hike because feral hogs.

Site Supporter

If that’s a Lyman 358429 or a copy thereof, it was designed as a .38/44 bullet rather than a .357 bullet. You need to load it in .38 Special brass. Do some research on .38/44 or .38 Heavy Duty loads. I have some I’ve loaded in .38 brass over six grains of Unique and it runs 1070 fps from my 4” M28. Note that this load is considered too hot to run in most .38s and is usually shot in.357s.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If that’s a Lyman 358429 or a copy thereof, it was designed as a .38/44 bullet rather than a .357 bullet. You need to load it in .38 Special brass. Do some research on .38/44 or .38 Heavy Duty loads. I have some I’ve loaded in .38 brass over six grains of Unique and it runs 1070 fps from my 4” M28. Note that this load is considered too hot to run in most .38s and is usually shot in.357s.

Now why didn't I think of that... off to find data. Thank you. I learned something new.

Now why didn't I think of that... off to find data. Thank you. I learned something new.
    Yup, and It'll run through lever guns in the .38 case as well.

I do prefer it in .357 cases as I'm really smitten with it at 1200fps. They're being carried as we speak.

User Tag List