Page 51 of 132 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    My son works at a local gun shop. Today was his first day back. About 10AM, he pings me with a pic of a 4.25” Python...
    Can he teach you how to post pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Can he teach you how to post pics?
    Though I am a boomer, and despite popular belief we do have the ability to maneuver around computers, tablets and smartphones.

Proof of life, so to speak.

I’m really looking forward to this new journey. Revolvers are a bit of a foreign language to me. It’s an exciting new chapter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Inkwell 41; 07-09-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Just gorgeous! Great way to experience revolvers, too.

A 4" Python is the one that got away and I regret it still. Some 25yrs ago, a couple of buddies came to visit and a range day was a given. One of them was apprenticing under a gunsmith in their home town and had brought along the 4" 686 that was his first project. He'd converted it to a buttery double action only and removed the hammer spur without a blemish. I shot it so well that I just had to have one of my own.

A few days later, I'm at the Indy 1500 (yeah, I'm old enough that gun shows were where you used to go to get good deals and computers were huge things you only saw in movies) where yet another buddy had a table and I told him I needed a 686 asap. No problem, he says, but you really ought to buy that Python I've got on consignment.

It was a blued 4" that had been Magnaported and was ridiculously under priced by the owner because the red insert was missing from the front sight. I examined it, but said, nah...gotta have a 686. I wanted to shoot immediately and I wasn't gonna wait to get a sight fixed. About 45min later, my mind started working correctly again and I fast walked back to D's table to buy the Python.

Me: You're right, I'll take the Python!

D, laughing: Man, the very next dude that came to my table snatched that thing up.

Me: Fuck.

Also me, every single time I remember that morning: Fuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Just gorgeous! Great way to experience revolvers, too.

A 4" Python is the one that got away and I regret it still. Some 25yrs ago, a couple of buddies came to visit and a range day was a given. One of them was apprenticing under a gunsmith in their home town and had brought along the 4" 686 that was his first project. He'd converted it to a buttery double action only and removed the hammer spur without a blemish. I shot it so well that I just had to have one of my own.

A few days later, I'm at the Indy 1500 (yeah, I'm old enough that gun shows were where you used to go to get good deals and computers were huge things you only saw in movies) where yet another buddy had a table and I told him I needed a 686 asap. No problem, he says, but you really ought to buy that Python I've got on consignment.

It was a blued 4" that had been Magnaported and was ridiculously under priced by the owner because the red insert was missing from the front sight. I examined it, but said, nah...gotta have a 686. I wanted to shoot immediately and I wasn't gonna wait to get a sight fixed. About 45min later, my mind started working correctly again and I fast walked back to D's table to buy the Python.

Me: You're right, I'll take the Python!

D, laughing: Man, the very next dude that came to my table snatched that thing up.

Me: Fuck.

Also me, every single time I remember that morning: Fuck!
    I had a similar experience in the mid-90s at a show in Houston. An old codger had a table set up with a bunch of guns, including a 4" stainless python he was listing for $400. I didn't have that much cash on me, and he wasn't interested in any of the things I was walking around. Walked across the venue to the ATM, pulled $400 in cash, and by the time I got back to his table, it was gone. Fuck. Me. Running.

I'm not much of a Colt revolver fan but this thread has me interested. I just sold 2 1911's with the idea of buying a 44 mag something or other. I got geared up for a 44 mag with new dies, brass, powder, etc thinking that's what I needed as I've never had a 44 mag before. Originally it was a lever rifle but honestly I have no room for another rifle in the safe and I'm not buying another safe.

So now what? I've got a 4'' S&W 625 that I shoot a lot since I put a dot on it. After seeing the pic that Inkwell posted, that has me wondering about a new Python since Colt probably won't make a 4" Anaconda and they're still about 1K above MSRP.

I guess my question is can one put a dot on the new Python? Newer Smiths are already drilled for a mount. All one has to do is remove one screw on the OEM rear sight bar and mount the plate.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I guess my question is can one put a dot on the new Python? Newer Smiths are already drilled for a mount. All one has to do is remove one screw on the OEM rear sight bar and mount the plate.
    Good question. @jetfire ? @Inkwell 41 ?

Anyhoo, I'm bidding on this one. If I tap out, I'll let all y'all know.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Good luck. I see many for sale on the internet so don't get too crazy.

https://www.customshopinc.com/produc...-hard-case-31/
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@Stephanie B…. Regarding a RDS, there doesn’t appear to be any visible means for attaching one. Someone might make a mount. For me, I just don’t see that happening. Good luck with your auction.

To everyone with regrets for not buying the one that got away… An hour before I heard this was in the case at the shop, I had mentioned to a friend that I never miss an opportunity, to miss an opportunity. Wednesday was an exception to that.

PSA don't do what I did

I just had my first oops with my Colt, more me and load than the gun. None of this was the guns fault. It is still shooting really small groups

I loaded up some 170gr SWC from Rim Rock for field use and proceeded to lock the gun up. Who knew Colt has shorter cylinders? I did but it escaped me somehow. I loaded the rounds to the front of the crimp groove and applied a moderate roll crimp. I was crono testing and was only loading 5 at a time and as luck would have it I rolled the empty chamber across the forcing cone. The cylinder would not rotate nor could I get it open. It took a minute to figure out what was wrong, see picture. I had to shave the bullet down to an angle with a knife and it still took a soft tap with a rubber handled screwdriver to open up the cylinder.

The ammo shot great in three Rugers and I now have a dilemma if I want to have a heavy load for the Python, I will have to trim the brass shorter or find a different bullet. I may just stick with 158s in this one.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

I’m out.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List