Page 5 of 132 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Maybe the new Python won't be as butt-ugly as the old Python. That revolver has some of the worst lines of any revolver on the market.

Chris
    This is sarcasm, right?

The Python is arguably one of the most beautiful guns ever made.

Regarding triggers, I’m surprised some criticize the Python trigger. As far as a factory gun, my Python trigger better than any of my Smiths.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    This is sarcasm, right?

The Python is arguably one of the most beautiful guns ever made.
    Not at all. I admit the finish, especially the Royal Blue version, is fantastic, but the physical lines are all wrong. The barrel, with the full underlug, rib, and ramp sight, looks like it's expanding as you approach the muzzle. The gripframe flares out too much as you approach the bottom (or it's too narrow up top, could be either). The gun just looks wrong to my eyes.

I'm not doubting the mechanical precision or workmanship, but I do feel they got the lines wrong on this gun.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Can you please explain, in legalese, why they won't be rid of it?

Since they offer the lock in basically none of their semi autos, and they offer some revolvers without locks, what possible reason could there be against eliminating them completely? Or at least leave it as an "option" that we know pretty much no one is going to order?
    IIRC, the lock comes from them being purchased by Saf-T-Lock just after the dreaded "Agreement". Unless the company has changed hands since, they are literally owned by a handgun lock company.

Why they continue to manufacture lock-free revolvers and haven't incorporated them into their Semis is anyone's guess

Chris

Site Supporter
    Why they continue to manufacture lock-free revolvers and haven't incorporated them into their Semis is anyone's guess

Chris
    My early M&P40 has the hole for it, though my early M&P45 doesn't. The only lock-free revolvers I can think of are alloy-frame J frames, the lock versions of which apparently have a documented history of sometimes locking up when they're not supposed to.

ETA: Sorry for contributing to thread drift!
    Last edited by revchuck38; 12-29-2019 at 09:07 AM.

The new Python looks interesting, However, being a new project for Colt, I’d wait awhile after they hit the shelves and see if any problems pop up, after all these aren’t the same hand fit Pythons of the past that Colt was famous for. These are likely to be full of MIM, with the possibility of a corner or two cut here and there..

Why they continue to manufacture lock-free revolvers...
    My understanding is that the lock-free 642/442/etc came around again once several large agencies started dropping the internal lock j-frames from lists of accepted/authorized/issued back up and off duty weapons. This is also why only j-frames are available without the lock; j-frames are the last of the police carry revolvers in wide use.

We know what S&W is, we’re just determining price.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Regarding triggers, I’m surprised some criticize the Python trigger. As far as a factory gun, my Python trigger better than any of my Smiths.
    I agree. The only comparable DA revolver trigger I have ever used was a S&W custom shop gun, not a standard production gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Mine, on a Python I bought in 1972, stacks at the end of the pull. It's still very shootable, though I honestly prefer the S&W. My only complaint about the Python is the serrated trigger. It's an irritant when shooting double action. All academic at this point. Though I still dry fire it and oil it occasionally to keep it exercised, I stopped shooting it about 4 years ago when I was advised that it was worth too much money to keep shooting it and risking breaking it. It's a great heirloom gun to leave to my daughter.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Given some of the disturbing QC issues I've seen on the Colt Cobra line lately - a Python would be premature. There are clearly some machining and fit-finish issues that Colt needs to clear up.

Smith won't be getting rid of lawyer locks - ever. They'll always have them available in at least some of the line. Perhaps they will make more lock-free guns, but they'll always have locks. This is a company HQ'ed in Mass., where internal locks are mandated by law for guns sold there. Is Smith really going to make all of their product line unavailable to their own home state? I doubt it.

I've pretty much lost interest in Smith and Wessons at this point. I'd like to see Ruger do 3" versions of the Super GP in both .357 and 9mm and follow that up with a Super GP45. If they want to get radical, maybe a Super GP22...think they can cram 14 or 16 .22 LRs in that cylinder?

RR, I was really indecisive about S&W.....until last week. I'd been saving for a S&W MP340 for quite awhile and reached financial solvency recently. However, I kept reading posts about how S&W was turning out some bad revolvers and to make mattress worse, their customer service and support weren't keeping up. Well, I decided to enlist the help of a good friend who has a long history with revolvers and take a chance. I ordered it and 9 days later, it arrived. After a thorough inspection by my revolver savvy friend, I brought it home. Even though I've yet to live fire it, it appears to be flawless. I've already posted about how good the trigger is - easily the best DA trigger this admittedly inexperienced revolver guy has ever felt. The only problem I can foresee is that I fear I might become a wheelie freak - it is that nice. Last night, I ordered some VZ grips - the only thing I needed to change. I'm hoping to rectify the lack of live fire experience very soon.

User Tag List