Page 34 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Saw mention of this on another forum. Has anyone here heard this?

If the Python comes back, can the Anaconda be far behind?

Okie John
    If they get the Python to work right, I'd love to then get an Anaconda in 45 Colt (preferably 5" barrel) that is tough enough to handle a regular diet of 255 gr SWC at about 1000fps.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I suddenly got to wanting a .357 revolver, another one to add to my 4 I already had, and I looked at a Python, but like when I had one before, back about 1981, it just didn't grab me. Memories of the hand breaking (I bought it from the second owner so I don't know what it went through before he got it) and the hassle of getting it fixed. I thought what I could get for the same money in S&W? So I ended up with 2 very nice '67 and '73 vintage S&W 28's, both 4" and in excellent shape. The '67 came in the box with the tools and original sales receipt. The '73 is a nicer looking gun though. Why did I buy two of them? Well, I put a low bid on the '73, and somehow missed the '67, and when I saw it, I grabbed it up. Of course, since I didn't care about getting the other one, I got it. It almost always happens. So basically I paid $150 more for the box and it being a one owner gun. Oh well, I love N Frames and another one won't kill my wallet. I haven't looked to see if the grips on the newer one are # matching, but I would guess they are.
    Bad pic, '73 is on the left:
    Name:  iY13WI.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  54.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    I suddenly got to wanting a .357 revolver, another one to add to my 4 I already had, and I looked at a Python, but like when I had one before, back about 1981, it just didn't grab me. Memories of the hand breaking (I bought it from the second owner so I don't know what it went through before he got it) and the hassle of getting it fixed. I thought what I could get for the same money in S&W? So I ended up with 2 very nice '67 and '73 vintage S&W 28's, both 4" and in excellent shape. The '67 came in the box with the tools and original sales receipt. The '73 is a nicer looking gun though. Why did I buy two of them? Well, I put a low bid on the '73, and somehow missed the '67, and when I saw it, I grabbed it up. Of course, since I didn't care about getting the other one, I got it. It almost always happens. So basically I paid $150 more for the box and it being a one owner gun. Oh well, I love N Frames and another one won't kill my wallet. I haven't looked to see if the grips on the newer one are # matching, but I would guess they are.

You bought a much better gun, twice.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    I have wanted a 4” 28 since the late 70s when I first started shooting. I saw one at the local Cabelas last week, but $800 seemed a bit steep.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

A P&R 4" M28 is one of the best gun trades I ever made (traded a Taurus 92 clone )....that subsequently went down the road.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    My first duty gun, the revolver I went through the academy with, was a 1973 vintage M28-2. I traded it off long ago when I became a dedicated 1911 person and carried the government Model or Commander for the rest of my LEO career. Seeing Hemiram's post made me nostalgic, but every time I feel that way the prices they are asking for a Highway Patrolman kind of kills the feeling. They are certainly the working man's 357 Magnum.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    My first duty gun, the revolver I went through the academy with, was a 1973 vintage M28-2. I traded it off long ago when I became a dedicated 1911 person and carried the government Model or Commander for the rest of my LEO career. Seeing Hemiram's post made me nostalgic, but every time I feel that way the prices they are asking for a Highway Patrolman kind of kills the feeling. They are certainly the working man's 357 Magnum.

Dave
    Yeah. but the prices keep going up, so you can always get more than you pay for it..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post

Dave
    If you want one buy it now, they won't get any cheaper.

Twenty years ago I'd see them going for $300.00. They were seen as the poor mans version of the 27 and collectors weren't that interested in them, not as sexy. Now that other options are harder to obtain the prices have steadily increased. They aren't making any more of them, so I don't see that changing.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I keep seeing notices that there are new posts in this thread, but it just keeps turning out to be S&W folks talking about non-Pythons.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I keep seeing notices that there are new posts in this thread, but it just keeps turning out to be S&W folks talking about non-Pythons.
    The important thing was I had an onion on my belt

User Tag List