Page 3 of 131 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It may be irrational AF, but I want one.

(I'd really like a Smython, though.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Supposedly there are a couple thousand made and ready to ship. Don't know what it looks like, but supposed to have King Cobra like modern lockwork. SHOT should be the place to see.
    I know I'm going to hate myself for this, but I'll likely buy one. There is a 6" Stainless Ultimate Python in my Book of Tears.

The big question is - do I send it to Bill Laughridge or Frank Glenn?

Give it time.
    Modern manufacture cost cutting notwithstanding, the SF6 I looked at and reportedly the better New Cobras don't NEED gunsmith "tuning" like old timey V spring Chamelot Delvigne guns.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I’d have to see an MSRP and have a sample in hand to inspect before committing, but I’m kinda interested

Maybe I'll actually end up with a 3" Colt Python before I die now...

But seriously 4" Royal Blue or fucking bust...that's Python 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Some of us paid good money to have the Python rebuilt to eliminate the stacking action.
    We also wonder what the hoi polloi are raving about on the stock triggers.

I saw an alleged leaked picture of the New Python. I, too, had expected a tarted up New Cobra, but if the picture is straight, it is a whole new gun.
    Reeves Jungkind was a master of the Python action! I had one of his guns for awhile.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 12-28-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

My 4" is a Jungkind duty tune, all he was doing in semi-retirement at the time.
    My 6" Colt Custom Tedford action is lighter but utterly dependent on well seated Federal primers. That is all I use in any revolver ammo, so no problem.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Reeves Jungkind was a master of the Python action! I had one of his guns for awhile.
    Jungkind was a Texas LE legend in many ways. He was Bill Jordan huge and serious. I often wonder what happened to the many TXDPS Pythons he tuned. You could carry one if you had 10 years on (usually in THP) or were a Sergeant. Looked nicer in the holster than the issue Model 28. Sometimes you wish you could see the future a bit and get something you don't know you want yet!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The "lawyer lock" isn't going away. Maybe if S&W went out of business and sold its assets to another company ("The New Smith & Wesson Co."), kind of like Piper Aircraft did, then the lock might be discarded.

Of course, that'd also mean that NS&W Co. wouldn't be doing warranty service on any of the current guns out there, but you pays your money and you makes your choice.
    Can you please explain, in legalese, why they won't be rid of it?

Since they offer the lock in basically none of their semi autos, and they offer some revolvers without locks, what possible reason could there be against eliminating them completely? Or at least leave it as an "option" that we know pretty much no one is going to order?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Can you please explain, in legalese, why they won't be rid of it?

Since they offer the lock in basically none of their semi autos, and they offer some revolvers without locks, what possible reason could there be against eliminating them completely? Or at least leave it as an "option" that we know pretty much no one is going to order?
    I'm curious too. I can only think of one reason since they've made the 442 sans lock and my 642 doesn't have one either. Ruger has a fully functional lock in some revolver models, but good luck using it. It's hidden under the grip and designed as such that it'll likely never cause a problem locking up when it shouldn't. To use it you have to remove the grips. It's like they said "OK here's your lock, now fuck off". The new Colt Cobras don't have one at all. So I'm really curious as to how S&W is locked (pun?) into the lock for perpetuity if it's not just a case of snowflake management and legal council.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 12-28-2019 at 12:31 PM.

User Tag List