Page 26 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    They are there. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Many significant parts in the engines that power your typical airliner are made that way.......
    The difference is perception.
    1. Early use of MIM parts in firearms was less than ideal.
    2. Firearms have a history of being hand-crafted by skilled artisans. Any move away from that is met with complaint even though the practice is unsustainable in today's world.
    3. MIM was a move to cut costs, not improve the product. People have a negative reaction to cost cutting measures even when it benefits them.

Use of MIM in other industries doesn't suffer from these perceptions because the target market is different (or entirely ignorant of the technique) and because those who are aware understand the benefit of the practice vs other methods.

Even though I am aware of the benefits or at least the reasons for its use, I still put greater emotional and historical value in my older Smiths *because* they were carved from steel and fitted by hand (mostly). They are mechanical works of art to be appreciated for decades and handed down over the generations. My newer guns utilizing MIM are just tools to be used until they wear out and then replaced with like copies. Just like an aircraft engine or Toyota Camry transmission.

Chris

Site Supporter
    You are correct, but a lot of people in business have never and will never learn that. At the same time, a properly run mfg process development project will not rely on the typical gun forum interpretation of "QC" (aka inspection and rework) to get products done right.
    I was taught that ideally, QC should be unnecessary if the manufacturing process is correct and done correctly. In the real world, if the cat is away, the mice will play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Doesn’t the asshole you shoot deserve the very best?
    As do the guys in the Property Room?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Even with perfect reports, there is still part of me that is Kimber leery.
    I feel the same.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I was taught that ideally, QC should be unnecessary if the manufacturing process is correct and done correctly.
    False. QC makes sure your manufacturing process is within bounds and STAYS within bounds as machinery and tooling wears, shifts change, suppliers change, and a million other things that are outside of the "ideally" world.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My suspicion is what we're seeing are a lot of "fuck that, we gotta meet the shipping date" problems. Once they get past the initial batch and get to normally feeding guns into the supply pipeline, things may be better. Maybe.

I'm not familiar with DLC. If I get one, it will mostly be a range toy. I'm not going to tote around a $1,500 Colt when I have a couple of $250 Model 64s to fill that role.
    On the former I'm inclined to agree, though I'd really like to see the new Python be the improved design and materials, warrantied, hard use, no lock, mid-size .357 sweet trigger out-of-the-box shooter sans quality control issues on large-scale production I've been waiting for from S&W.

Ha! I know...

On the latter, I'll tote any of my guns that fit the need and will do the job, irrespective of price. What I like about new, current production is it isn't special and can easily be replaced; I'll pay extra for that.

DLC, Diamond-like Carbon, is an extremely tough, abrasion and corrosion resistant finish. Ion Bond is one company that applies it to firearms. I have been most impressed with it.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Only if the new Pythons start having occurrences of firing pin breakage.
    That does seem to be an early issue, but corrected. All makers have firing pins break; I won't fault Kimber much on that one.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

They are there. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
    Not disagreeing -- genuinely wanting to have the goods on the new Python, about which detailed information is still scarce: how do you know with certainty Colt used MIM, and do you know which parts?

(Pro MIM here, for the record..)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    False. QC makes sure your manufacturing process is within bounds and STAYS within bounds as machinery and tooling wears, shifts change, suppliers change, and a million other things that are outside of the "ideally" world.
    That is the way it is supposed to work, but your “false” statement contradicts my firsthand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    As do the guys in the Property Room?
    Just gonna veer a bit off topic here, but IMO losing a gun to the property room, while sad and hopefully temporary, is a fine way for a gun to leave my life. I carry the gun I shoot the best (within reason of course, I am not able to feasibly conceal my 8 3/8" model 57) and it's likely the gun I enjoy shooting the most or am most familiar with. To me, the ultimate purpose of almost every handgun I own is defense of life and limb.

Anyhew, back to the scheduled programming. New python looks dope, I'll definitely buy one if they un-fuck the teething problems. Otherwise I'll be keeping my eyes out for a good deal on a pre-lock 4" 586

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List