Page 24 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I handled a new Python today at my lgs. Price is $1549. I sat down with it and examined the revolver from end to end. Also I dried fired it perhaps about 25 times. Action is smooth with zero hitches. Typical Colt stacking is absent. My finger told me that double action pull is 12-13 pounds, and single action pull is 4-5 pounds. Timing is perfect. I detected no roughness. Bore has no visible tool marks. The barrel is a tube that fits inside a shroud, and this shroud forms the external shape recognizable as Python. Looking into the barrel shows this arrangement. One can see where the barrel and shroud meet. This obvious feature is the only cheap looking aspect noted in the new Python. It is not poorly done but is not what I expected to see.

My opinion is that if the new Python can hold up under the same level of use as a Model 19 or Model 686, and if it is as accurate they are, then the price is not unreasonable. If it falters after a couple thousand rounds, then it is a failure. I refer to shooting 38 Special Special loads primarily with a few hundred magnum rounds thrown in. This level is not strenuous.
    This is contrary to what Colt has stated. They said it is NOT a shrouded barrel. Not saying you’re wrong, but either you are, or Colt has lied.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    This is contrary to what Colt has stated. They said it is NOT a shrouded barrel. Not saying you’re wrong, but either you are, or Colt has lied.
    Let me take a 2nd look tomorrow. Certainly Colt would not lie. I have owned several of the old Pythons and have seen shrouded barrels before yet I am subject to making an error. I also will seek other opinions while at the shop. I do hope that Colt is telling the truth.

Site Supporter
    I read some of Colt's ads and one referred to a full lug barrel. A barrel placed inside a solid shroud might loosely satisfy the full lug barrel part of the ad. I am looking for other information but only to amuse myself. To save money, Colt could make MIM shrouds or use cast ones whereas extensive machining might be required to produce original type Python barrels. Or if they drilled and rifled a solid MIM or cast structure, then perhaps more expensive metal would be required for use as a barrel. Too, it's cheaper to discard tubes with errors than to discard traditional Python barrels.

Already pictures floating around on Instagram showing the first Pythons in the wild don't look great. Ugly crowns, mediocre polish on the finish, some clear issues with ejector rods (one that was clearly bent, etc.), and I've now seen at least three different reports of guns not working in DA. This is similar to issues I've seen reported with the new King Cobras. Colt is suffering from Colt-esque QC right now and should rectify it, before they bother building more guns.

I'm a Colt fan and you guys know that. If anyone is interested in acquiring a new Colt, inspect it thoroughly in person first. Too many issues being reported in a consistent manner for me to not think that most of the claims are legitimate at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Oh. Sorry about that.
    You'd think an English teacher might be able to communicate clearly....

Although perusing my posts here would probably disabuse most people of that notion.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 01-09-2020 at 12:43 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Hopefully the QC will be better in a decade or so when I can buy one.

Barrel shroud would kick my desire down a bit, however. It would seem silly next to my Trooper.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Let me take a 2nd look tomorrow. Certainly Colt would not lie. I have owned several of the old Pythons and have seen shrouded barrels before yet I am subject to making an error. I also will seek other opinions while at the shop. I do hope that Colt is telling the truth.
    By all accounts -- official Colt and secondary reviews -- it's a one-piece barrel; the crown is deeply inset, which can make it look like a two-piece.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

From the reports on the Colt Forum, the new Pythons are having their share of "first guns off the production line" issues.
    First owner to review at S&W Forum already has an RMA from Colt; big issue is the thumb release only intermittently works, small issues include rough crown, loose rear sight. Poster never got a chance to shoot it.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    First owner to review at S&W Forum already has an RMA from Colt; big issue is the thumb release only intermittently works, small issues include rough crown, loose rear sight. Poster never got a chance to shoot it.
    I saw that. It seems to be the way that things go, nowadays.

I still want the "4.25in because Canada" gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I saw that. It seems to be the way that things go, nowadays.

I still want the "4.25in because Canada" gun.
    Oh, unless this thing turns out to be a total bomb -- which I doubt -- I'm definitely getting the 4.25" with the (heavily rumored and I think likely to happen because of Colt's significant uptick in Ion Bonded products) DLC finish. I'm just waiting out new hotness prices and beta testers.

I've been wanting to update my revolver group with a trio of different-sized, different-purposed current production ones and have hesitated to go S&W (have many pre-locks) for all the usual reasons; thought it'd be Kimber but the Python -- if it's quality enough -- is a game changer for me.

User Tag List