Page 121 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1318

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I'm curious about the stacking I found in the last 1/3rd of the trigger travel. The triggers of the other Python and Anaconda didn't seem to have the stacking like my 3" does.
    Is that something that you have experienced with your Pythons?

Frankly, I believe I could live with the trigger weight, but the stacking is not conducive to shooting well for me. My Ruger .454 Super Redhawk has a smoother, more consistent trigger pull.
    Mine does stack a little bit, but I find that just continuously pressing the trigger through it's arc would lead me to some pretty unbelievable accuracy. It does slow me down at the end of the trigger press a tad, but if it's a longer or more complicated shot, I find that's actually rather helpful as it lets me clean up the sight picture before the hammer drops.

Shooting quickly, it doesn't seem to matter.

That said, my 686+ does have a nicer DA trigger (It's been worked on) and shoots about as well. Oh well. Both are phenomenal pistols and I like them both quite a bit.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Unfortunately my Python has developed the bad habit of the cylinder jumping past the cylinder stop and the trigger failing to reset when the trigger is run too quickly.

The bar on what defines "too quickly" lowers with each occurrence. I guess it's time to send it back to Colt.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Unfortunately my Python has developed the bad habit of the cylinder jumping past the cylinder stop and the trigger failing to reset when the trigger is run too quickly.

The bar on what defines "too quickly" lowers with each occurrence. I guess it's time to send it back to Colt.
    Well, that kinda' BITES--Any idea how many rounds you've put thru it and/or how much it's been Dryfired?

Both of my Python's have been sent back to Colt.

The 4.25" went back for light primer strikes and cylinder not rotating.

The 3" was sent back for light primer strikes and terrible "end shake" or also referred to as "end play."

I've since learned that I have to be mindful about ammunition selection and know for sure, that I will never use Armscor through the Colt's. Colt obviously sacrificed primer ignition reliability in favor of the trigger press.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
    Well, that kinda' BITES--Any idea how many rounds you've put thru it and/or how much it's been Dryfired?
    Less than 300 rounds.

Very little dryfire.
    3/15/2016

When does the cylinder locking bolt drop, at the very end of the leade, or sooner?

Does it feel like it has strong spring tension when pushing it down with your finger with the cylinder open?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    When does the cylinder locking bolt drop, at the very end of the leade, or sooner?
    At the speed it happens, I can't really see what's going on with the cylinder stop beyond that the cylinder over rotates knocking the chamber that's supposed to be fired past the barrel. You can feel it on the trigger when it happens.

Does it feel like it has strong spring tension when pushing it down with your finger with the cylinder open?
    No. Just resting the weight of my index finger on it moves it down almost halfway. Light pressure pushes it entirely into the frame.
    3/15/2016

At the speed it happens, I can't really see what's going on with the cylinder stop beyond that the cylinder over rotates knocking the chamber that's supposed to be fired past the barrel. You can feel it on the trigger when it happens.

No. Just resting the weight of my index finger on it moves it down almost halfway. Light pressure pushes it entirely into the frame.
    You can cycle it slowly just to see where the locking bolt timing is. Just cock the hammer slowly with light behind it and see if it snaps back up right after it starts turning and drags along the cylinder, or if its right before the locking notch comes into alignment, or somewhere in between. If its late in the cycle, that may be the issue, and on older Colts can be adjusted as to timing relatively easily. The tail of the locking bolt is tweeked slightly left or right to change the bolt drop timing. I dont know yet how the new guns differ in cylinder bolt timing and adjustment.

The spring tension is another possibility, the older ones have a fairly strong spring, much stiffer than S&W bolt springs, and snapping up when cycling it slowly with the finger on it is very noticeable, as is the tension of just pushing it down with everything at rest. Again, the new ones may be different in that regard.

Asking on the Colt forum may give at least more info if not a resolution. Reaching out to the guy that was mentioned some time back as having worked on a bunch of the new guns may also give some useful insight.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-03-2023 at 12:10 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Sounds like they are "hobby" guns...

Site Supporter
    Less than 300 rounds.

Very little dryfire.
    Thanks for the Info--That is certainly disappointing, especially in light of my stellar experience with a New-Production SS Cobra--300 rounds fired and about 4K "Clicks" in Dryfire and it's still as tight as the day it left the Factory--I just wish Colt would get their act together, QC-wise...

User Tag List