Page 11 of 132 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Those 1911s are manufactured in volumes sufficient to support stainless and carbon variants. A big enough buyer pool at around $2k-$2500 does not exist to make tooling carbon barrels, frames, and cylinders worthwhile. I don’t think.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Until you accept that you are incorrect and make a public apology acknowledging your mistake - you are Black Cylindered from the Revolver Club.
    Then I will be the second to proudly join the Society of the Black Cylindered. The Python was a clunky looking handgun.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-01-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Somebody refresh my poor memory. Did Colt get it right with the latest Detective Special production series? If not, then the new Python may not be satisfactory.

I can't say I will be able to afford one of these anytime real soon, but it's nice to have another contender for nice 6" .357 when that day comes. I think Colt's engineers and marketing team all came together nicely together on this one.

If you want a gun that is new and has the hand fitting of the "true" Python, go buy a Korth. If you have $3k+ to spend.

I think this gun will have some interesting variants down the line. I have a feeling we will see 10mm, a "carry" version, maybe a .44.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Our Colt sales rep should be in on Friday,I'll post any pertinent details about the Python.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It’s like anything else. Ford had a Bullit Mustang. I doubt that it resembled the original much under the hood. Corvettes? Check. Piper Arrows? Check. Last time I looked, the local hardware store didn’t have a vacuum tube tester either. In the words of Fletch...”It’s all ball bearings nowadays.”

Just sit back and enjoy the fact that we’re becoming mainstream again! We’re on the cutting edge of modern weapons systems! (Channel your inner Costa there if you wish.)
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    My question: is this going to be a $800-1200 gun intended to compete with the 686 and GP-100, or is it a $1500-2000 gun intended to compete with.....I don't know, the even more expensive Korths and some of the more exotic Ruger and Smith offerings?

I think they would make more $$$ going option one, but it seems like the new King Cobra is intended for that niche.
    I'm going to say they went more option one than two, but I think this gun will mostly compete with the "specialty" GP-100s and 686s, and act as a "Cadillac" option (man that term is dated) to them, much like the original Python was to the rest of the Colt and Smith lines at the time.

It will be interesting to see if this gun gets a good chunk of $$ from non-gun enthusiasts who just have to have "Rick's gun."
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    A Python that can be shot for something other than bullseye and can happily digest something besides .38 wadcutter without breaking?

Sign me up.

My heart says 6".

My head says 4".
    Are you seriously going to conceal carry it? Go with your heart!
    Real guns have hammers.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

It will be interesting to see if this gun gets a good chunk of $$ from non-gun enthusiasts who just have to have "Rick's gun."

Lol. I view it as “John Davis’ gun”. No clue who “Rick” is. You mean like Rick Springfield? Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Lol. I view it as “John Davis’ gun”. No clue who “Rick” is. You mean like Rick Springfield? Lol
    Y'know, that Rick on that show where no one used the sights on any gun, leading to me to stop watching it.

Yeah, I can watch David Lynch, tons of sci-fi, and it's bad gun handling that crushes my suspension of disbelief. Don't ask me to explain.

(Gun handling on the new Twin Peaks is actually pretty good-- when it goes to shit for one character it's a sign something isn't right with him in a big way--finger on the trigger and he sweeps civvies. Also, real good guys carry 6" blued revolvers even in 2017 on the show. )

John Davis? Are you misspelling the name of the creator of "Garfield" ? 😈 No idea he was into fine guns.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List