Page 119 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1318

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Skeeter Skelton got me liking 5” revolvers. I have a 629 Classic and a GP100 both in 5”. I’d been kicking around getting a 6” Python as I have 357s in 2”, 4”, and 5”, but this 5” might be the one persuading me to get a Python.

Early days of IDPA, I ran amuck on 5" revolvers, sawing off and resetting sights on 6" guns.
    Then they changed the rules. Back to FLG. I now have two twice-cut barrels, friends have the other two.

But Python is a Colt, barrel lengths should be 4 3/4", 5 1/2", 7 1/2". And 3" or 3 1/2", whichever was more common in the Sheriff's Model.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

For a 3" Python, what are the recommended and available self-defense loads in .357 Mag available these days?
    I've found online Remington 125 gr Golden Saber, Barnes TAC-XPD 357 Magnum 125 gr, Hornady Critical Defense 125 Grain FTX, and some 125 gr Black Hills JHPs.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    For a 3" Python, what are the recommended and available self-defense loads in .357 Mag available these days?
    I've found online Remington 125 gr Golden Saber, Barnes TAC-XPD 357 Magnum 125 gr, Hornady Critical Defense 125 Grain FTX, and some 125 gr Black Hills JHPs.
    Any of the modern 125grn JHPs should do the job. If I remember correctly, there was a lot of love for that load by the cops back in the day.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I read a post that the 140 was overtaking the 125 but everybody was going to automatics by then.
    Long ago, Phil Sharpe pushed his design 146 gr hollow point.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    How much experience do you have shooting .357 Magnum loads? The Golden Sabre is sort of a "-P" load, while the others (I think) are full-power loads and pretty sporty to shoot. Remington makes a 125-grain JSP load in their less-expensive line that runs about the same velocity as the full-power loads, I'd get a box of those to see if you can handle the full-power stuff with reasonable accuracy and shot-to-shot times.

Lucky Gunner did a comparison of penetration of .38/.357 ammo a few years back that can give you an idea of how they penetrate and expand. They used Clear Ballistics gel with the drawbacks inherent with that stuff, but at least it gives you an apples-to-apples comparison.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I carry 125 grain Golden Saber .357 and .38 special +P in my revolvers, including Stephanie’s 3” Python. They pack a punch, but are much more gentle on the ears than most any other .357 load. I bought some Hornady American Gunner .357 last month, and gave them away due to excessive noise. I’ve whittled everything down to what I carry, and sticks of dynamite aren’t on the list. 😳

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    How much experience do you have shooting .357 Magnum loads? The Golden Sabre is sort of a "-P" load, while the others (I think) are full-power loads and pretty sporty to shoot. Remington makes a 125-grain JSP load in their less-expensive line that runs about the same velocity as the full-power loads, I'd get a box of those to see if you can handle the full-power stuff with reasonable accuracy and shot-to-shot times.

Lucky Gunner did a comparison of penetration of .38/.357 ammo a few years back that can give you an idea of how they penetrate and expand. They used Clear Ballistics gel with the drawbacks inherent with that stuff, but at least it gives you an apples-to-apples comparison.
    I'm strongly leaning towards the Golden Saber. Thank you.

@FrankB @Salamander and others with new generation Pythons.

I just got back from my FFL where I inspected my new 3" 2023 Python. I'm sorry to say that I'm disappointed and I need advice. I decided to not do paperwork on the revolver because I am not happy with what I received considering how much money I spent on it.

The DA trigger on my Python averaged 9.5 lbs with stacking starting a little under 8 lbs and continuing up to the 9.5 lbs break. This is bad trigger compared to the other new 6" 2023 Python I tried and compared new 6" 2023 Anaconda I also tried.
    The SA averaged 5.5 lbs and you could see the hammer move back before the trigger broke at 5.5 lbs.

The seam of the side plate up by the hammer looked like one of the edges had been broken as the seam was very obvious. See attached pictures.

After dry firing in DA 10 times my finger had an imprint of the grooves on the face of the trigger. I don't believe I have another gun that has this poor of a trigger in my inventory and I have several HK USP pistols...

So, I need your advice; do I reach out to Colt and ask them to address my concerns or should I just suck it up and hope and pray that the DA trigger improves?Name:  20230915_143354.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  54.5 KBName:  20230915_122235.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  26.9 KB

@FrankB @Salamander and others with new generation Pythons.

I just got back from my FFL where I inspected my new 3" 2023 Python. I'm sorry to say that I'm disappointed and I need advice. I decided to not do paperwork on the revolver because I am not happy with what I received considering how much money I spent on it.

The DA trigger on my Python averaged 9.5 lbs with stacking starting a little under 8 lbs and continuing up to the 9.5 lbs break. This is bad trigger compared to the other new 6" 2023 Python I tried and compared new 6" 2023 Anaconda I also tried.
    The SA averaged 5.5 lbs and you could see the hammer move back before the trigger broke at 5.5 lbs.

The seam of the side plate up by the hammer looked like one of the edges had been broken as the seam was very obvious. See attached pictures.

After dry firing in DA 10 times my finger had an imprint of the grooves on the face of the trigger. I don't believe I have another gun that has this poor of a trigger in my inventory and I have several HK USP pistols...

So, I need your advice; do I reach out to Colt and ask them to address my concerns or should I just suck it up and hope and pray that the DA trigger improves?Name:  20230915_143354.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  54.5 KBName:  20230915_122235.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  26.9 KB
    I'd dry fire some first, a few others have reported rapid improvement. If that doesn't work then give Colt customer service a call, they were very responsive the one time I've needed them thus far. As you noted above, that heavy of a pull is not typical.

My 4.25 inch is currently at just over 7 lbs DA and about 4.5 lbs SA (just checked), and it's got barely 1,000 rounds through it.

On my King Cobra the side plate initially looked a bit off, I loosened the screws and pressed up on the plate and re-tightened and it lined up perfectly. Not sure if that works for the Python too, mine was right from the factory.

If you haven't done the paperwork yet, is it an option to ask for a different example?

User Tag List