Page 61 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter

Yet more Python trigger

The weight and absence of stacking are great. However, the trigger itself is flat, narrow, and serrated. I'm sure it can be smoothed and rounded easily but, that's not within my comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I saw that NRA TV did a number on Colt building revolvers again. In testing for the Cobra .357 version they said they ran 12,000 proof loads through one and got zero frame stretch. Impressive.
    12K proof loads through the same gun? Very good data point on the frame stretching...did they mention if they had any part replacements required? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    12K proof loads through the same gun? Very good data point on the frame stretching...did they mention if they had any part replacements required? Thanks!
    The guy from Colt that said it didn't specify, but he sure implied that very thing. No comments or questions on any of the rest of it. I also recall the Colt reps saying lots of good things about the new Python along similar lines. Very heavy usage with full magnum loads.

Site Supporter

Fiber Optic Front Sight

Brownells.com just notified me that my fiber optic front sight ordered 11/03/2021 was shipped 11/17/2021. Get 'em while you can.

I have a set of 3rd generation Python stocks I will be installing. The factory grips, while attractive, are too small for my hands while running fast cylinder dumps with full power .357.

I did a bunch of 25-yard 6-shot drills yesterday, and had to re-set my grip on the stocks every third round. If I didn’t, and just toughed it out, it would create flyers at 7 and 2 o’clock.

Precision singles and doubles are not a problem- the issue manifests itself in longer strings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Followup:

These modern, 3rd generation (1979-1985) target Python stock reproductions have solved my traction issues with the OEM stocks.

They fit the modern Python every bit as well as the OEM Altamonts, but are far more grippy. Fit and finish are impeccable, with very well-defined checkering. The wood grain on both sides matches up very well at the parting line. Medallions are properly staked to the stocks as well, and perhaps even a bit crisper than the OEM medallions. The increased height of the checkered panels is just what I needed to solve my tendency to have to re-establish grip in the midst of a string of rapid fire with full power rounds. Speedloads with the Safariland Comp-II’s are the same as with the OEM stocks- no problem.

Sourced from Deerhollowonline-dot-com, which seems to cater to the collector market, and the transaction was completely trouble-free. Not cheap, but a lot more affordable than NOS Python stocks for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Archer1440; 11-20-2021 at 05:17 PM.

@Archer1440 that is a beautiful revolver. I had a 4" Ultimate Python years ago that I sold when it was worth 3X what I paid and I was concerned about fragility and finding parts so I sold it and I probably lost a few grand from that transaction now that prices are where they are. Nonetheless, I'm excited about the new guns and might purchase a replacement as I don't want guns I'm afraid to shoot because I don't know if I can get parts or anyone will know how to smith them correctly. If these prove out with the MIM parts and early issues (non-revolving revolver due to side plate coming lose, muzzle crown damage, seizing, parts breakage, etc) are rectified, I want to buy one and support Colt.

@Spartan1980 posted some promising info on longevity with full house magnums and I'm hoping to learn more before I buy this when I don't have an MR73, but there is a thread making me wait on that too.

Funny how some of these threads are not always enabling and may give you pause before laying down money. Usually works the other way,, but not always.

I waited over a year and a half before picking one of these up, and I’m glad I did. All reports say current production is good to go, which has certainly been the case with mine (a bit over 1000 rounds now and nearly half of those, full power .357 loads.)

Not to say they all work- but this sample of one has been pretty good. It was date coded in September of this year.

I’m confident- and borderline competent enough with it- to carry it, which has significance to me personally.

Here's a data point from a Colt Rep. Go to about 14:00 in the video.

He also mentions the King Cobra

Just a minor maintenance heads-up: At about 1100 rounds, I thought I noticed a very- very slight difference in the fit of my side plate at the seam just outboard of the left grip. No issues with the action, at all.

It occurred to me to double-check the torque on the side plate screw (left side) under the grips.

I found that the screw was, indeed, slightly loose. I will note that I had sprayed a bit of Ballistol into the action in the past, and the screw was a bit oily- with no sign of threadlocker on it. I cleaned the threads, applied some Loctite solid, and re-torqued the screw, which re-set the plate and perhaps headed off a possible down-the-road issue.

I would suggest that anyone with one of these revolvers perform the same check, being careful to use the correct hollow-ground bit.

Under magnification, there is no visible wear to the ratchet or hand, no change in the (fairly tight) forcing cone gap, nothing has moved on the sights, and despite a few thousand draws from leather, no finish wear- at all.

User Tag List