Page 60 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

I’m THIS close to buying a new Python. It doesn’t help that my wife keeps saying, “Let’s Buy One!” I’d like to see it before I buy it. My King Cobra far exceeded my expectations when we bought it last month, and its finish seems like the third iteration, based on the pics and videos I’ve seen since 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    That is not “well below MSRP”.

MSRP on the Python is $1499,
    Very surprised but glad to learn that, I remember 1,995, then early summer it was 1,795, that is a huge drop. And there appear to be a lot of these in market now.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Very surprised but glad to learn that, I remember 1,995, then early summer it was 1,795, that is a huge drop. And there appear to be a lot of these in market now.
    Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of MSRP, manufacturer’s suggested retail price. It has always been $1499 on the new Python [reference January 2020 Colt press release].

The prices are still above MSRP except for a few suppliers.

Most guns (and other consumer goods) in normal times have a street price below (often well below) MSRP, a number which is designed to let the retailer make adequate margin even when selling for under that price, and making the (still profitable) retailer price look attractive to the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of MSRP, manufacturer’s suggested retail price.
    My reference was incorrect to say MSRP, I have never even looked at the Colt site, I have been following it on two distributor price lists, which are really tracking the street pricing and of course usually under on most items, but in this case have apparently been over for a long time.

I saw that NRA TV did a number on Colt building revolvers again. In testing for the Cobra .357 version they said they ran 12,000 proof loads through one and got zero frame stretch. Impressive. I really hope they stay in the revolver game this time and at the level they are. It should put some pressure on the others.

Site Supporter

Python Trigger

The 10-press average for my Python trigger is 8 lbs. 1.3 oz. per my Wheeler gauge. The gun has 150 - 200 rounds fired.

Name:  20211112_124154.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  20211112_123645(1).jpg
Views: 290
Size:  47.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    The 10-press average for my Python trigger is 8 lbs. 1.3 oz. per my Wheeler gauge. The gun has 150 - 200 rounds fired.

I’ll be in my bunk.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Mine (date coded for September) is within a couple ounces of yours measured with the same model of trigger scale. The smooth (not ‘stacky’) DA press in this particular revolver has been really good for me. SA is just a bit south of 4.5# and dead crisp with absolutely zero discernible movement or overtravel.

Very nice. I find that at 8lbs that shooting DA is almost cheating.

Just re-checked after reaching 1000 rounds (480 full-house .357, the rest .38 spl +P) , plus around 2K dry presses on snap caps. (This might explain why my DA press with the thing seems to be improving!)

SA weight is also down from when it came out of the box at 4# 8 oz, now at an average for 10 pulls of 3# 13 oz.

By way of comparison this is nearly 2# lighter in DA and 1.2# heavier in SA than my (performance center worked) circa 1997 686 Plus. That might explain why I shoot the Python better than the Smith in DA despite the less-than-perfect grip shape.

The odd thing is, I also seem to group a bit better than the Smith with it offhand at 25 in SA. I won’t deny this might just be a function of how taken I am with the Python overall- when you really like something it can sometimes affect your performance with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List