Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom grip makers?

Custom grip makers?

I have somewhat unusual grips on my two J frames. They work very well for me, but they are sticky for pocket carry. The maker has no interest in offering them in other materials.

Is anyone aware of custom grip makers that could duplicate them for me in a hard material? I don’t think that would be an issue if they don’t go marketing them. This would be a good project for an enthusiastic part time craftsman.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Are you able to post pictures of the grips? That would help identify potential alternatives.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

They are the Ergo Delta grips:

Name:  64E6DB29-6920-4ACC-900E-1459F4A44E06.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  41.7 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    They are the Ergo Delta grips:

Name:  64E6DB29-6920-4ACC-900E-1459F4A44E06.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  41.7 KB

I've been curious about those, other than Caleb/jetfires seemingly stalled review of them I haven't seen much out there about them. Very few j-frame grips seem to cover the back strap that dont make the grip too long for pocket carry.
    Other than the sticking issue, how do they do with regards to recoil and control?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I've been curious about those, other than Caleb/jetfires seemingly stalled review of them I haven't seen much out there about them. Very few j-frame grips seem to cover the back strap that dont make the grip too long for pocket carry.
    Other than the sticking issue, how do they do with regards to recoil and control?
    Exceptional shootability, and much more natural pointing. They are just sticky for pocket carry.
    Ken

Exceptional shootability, and much more natural pointing. They are just sticky for pocket carry.
    Try a layer of electrician's tape. Start at the top and work to the bottom or it will dig into your hands and peel off more quickly.

Replace as needed.

Yes, I'm a redneck.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I've been trying to find someone to make wood or G10 duplicates of Pachmayrs J frame "Compac" grip for ages. I've tried some of the similar designs without any joy so far at all. Most companies insist on making their grips in similar profiles with a full set of finger grooves, and that just ain't the same.

I have somewhat unusual grips on my two J frames. They work very well for me, but they are sticky for pocket carry. The maker has no interest in offering them in other materials.

Is anyone aware of custom grip makers that could duplicate them for me in a hard material? I don’t think that would be an issue if they don’t go marketing them. This would be a good project for an enthusiastic part time craftsman.
    Its amazing to me how many companies are making pantographs and how few businesses there are offering services.
    Heres a gunstock company Im sure there are businesses that offer these services but you will have to search. Sign carving is another business you could look under. Or wood working forums. Or small custom grip makers. They are all working from patterns which you already have.
    If I was going to the trouble to get one set Id probably get two.
    Some examples after a brief search
    https://www.macongunstocks.com/services.html
    https://m.facebook.com/hillbillygrips/
    Last edited by UNK; 08-07-2021 at 08:03 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Glad I'm easy to please...(relatively speaking).

I just replaced the OEM Hogue Bantam boot grips that came standard on my 642-1 with a pair of Hogue Bantam G-10 "Piranhas".

Perfect laser fitment, no need for adjustment...just a dab of Loctite on the screw. Excellent grip without seeming overly aggressive, and no grabbing my cover shirt.

I liked the OEM rubber boot grips, but they were delaminating from the plastic substrate. So, it was time to try something different.

I almost threw on my old wooden Magnas with a Tyler T-Grip I saved from my early 80's Model 36, but I resisted.

Here's an image from an ad:

Not custom, by any means, but good enough for my daily carry around home and environs.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

G10 materially and grip-wise is superb in my expereince, but be forewarned that it'll likely scratch and/or mar the finish that lies underneath; if the G10 grip covers more landscape than other grips, and you subsequentyly opt to replace the G10s with another grip it can be a bit of an aesthetic spoiler if you're OCD about finish appearance.

Probably a bigger issue with a blued finish than stainless.

Best, Jon

User Tag List