Page 1 of 131 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Saw mention of this on another forum. Has anyone here heard this?

If the Python comes back, can the Anaconda be far behind?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If they do:

1) They won't be like the old ones that are "fitted and tuned". It'll be CNC and MIM and "mass" assembly like most everything is these days.

2) It will also show S&W and Ruger that they intend to stick around awhile because I can see an instant year+ long backlog, which will be a good GREAT thing! At least Ruger is introducing some new stuff, maybe it'll motivate S&W to get off their duff and innovate a bit. They can start with ditching the goofy lock.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 12-27-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    If they do:

1) They won't be like the old ones that are "fitted and tuned". It'll be CNC and MIM and "mass" assembly like most everything is these days.

2) It will also show S&W and Ruger that they intend to stick around awhile because I can see an instant year+ long backlog, which will be a good GREAT thing! At least Ruger is introducing some new stuff, maybe it'll motivate S&W to get off their duff and innovate a bit. They can start with ditching the goofy lock.
    If this would motivate S&W to ditch the lock I would consider a huge win for the entire industry.

Given some of the disturbing QC issues I've seen on the Colt Cobra line lately - a Python would be premature. There are clearly some machining and fit-finish issues that Colt needs to clear up.

Smith won't be getting rid of lawyer locks - ever. They'll always have them available in at least some of the line. Perhaps they will make more lock-free guns, but they'll always have locks. This is a company HQ'ed in Mass., where internal locks are mandated by law for guns sold there. Is Smith really going to make all of their product line unavailable to their own home state? I doubt it.

I've pretty much lost interest in Smith and Wessons at this point. I'd like to see Ruger do 3" versions of the Super GP in both .357 and 9mm and follow that up with a Super GP45. If they want to get radical, maybe a Super GP22...think they can cram 14 or 16 .22 LRs in that cylinder?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-27-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    If they do:

Maybe the new Python won't be as butt-ugly as the old Python. That revolver has some of the worst lines of any revolver on the market.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I never objected to the lines of the Python's frame or barrel, but that grip shape just didn't fit my hand for DA shooting. It didn't work in the D-frame or the massive New Service either. And, I always found it kind of curious that I was told to avoid stacking triggers by old, experienced revolver shooters, but the much touted Python trigger stacked worse than a 1st Generation Glock. And the stack was common throughout the Colt line back in the 1970s when I owned a few (Python and a Det. Spl.) and shot many more.

As to Colt bringing the model back, I would expect them to do an entirely different gun and just hanging the Python name on it to promote sales. Something like a fancied up, 6" version of their King Cobra.

Dave

Some of us paid good money to have the Python rebuilt to eliminate the stacking action.
    We also wonder what the hoi polloi are raving about on the stock triggers.

I saw an alleged leaked picture of the New Python. I, too, had expected a tarted up New Cobra, but if the picture is straight, it is a whole new gun.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Maybe the new Python won't be as butt-ugly as the old Python. That revolver has some of the worst lines of any revolver on the market.

Chris
    Bite your tongue! The Python was the most beautiful revolver ever made! Double action does stack really badly though.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Given some of the disturbing QC issues I've seen on the Colt Cobra line lately - a Python would be premature. There are clearly some machining and fit-finish issues that Colt needs to clear up.
    You should apply for the job at Hartford. I'm sure they could use a SME to fix the product line up.

My question: is this going to be a $800-1200 gun intended to compete with the 686 and GP-100, or is it a $1500-2000 gun intended to compete with.....I don't know, the even more expensive Korths and some of the more exotic Ruger and Smith offerings?

I think they would make more $$$ going option one, but it seems like the new King Cobra is intended for that niche.

Only shot a Python once, and I was too young to have any context to properly judge it.

My LNGS had a pair of lovely 2.5" Pythons which were beautiful, but not worth the $7000 tag for either IMO by a country mile. At that price, I could buy a Korth AND a mr73. Or a few Registered Magnums, or a few Triple Locks.....
    Last edited by Baldanders; 12-27-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List