Page 56 of 132 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The problem is that this isn't really a solution with the Python. I don't think anyone here would question my grip strength with a revolver, but during my 2000 round test of the Python, one of the criticisms I had was that the factory stocks tend to force the gun to roll up and into the hand when you're shooting any kind of spicy load with any attempt at speed. It's actually part of the Python's design; it's a gun that really wants to be shot single action (wide flat hammer spur) and the grip shape helps place the hammer spur under the thumb in recoil, while also preserving some of the SAA's "roll the recoil off" features.

I'd much prefer a grip shape like the Trausch grips on the Manurhin that directs recoil back and helps keep the gun flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’ve got wood Hogues on my Official Police 4” gun (same frame) and don’t remember this being an issue. Then again it’s been a couple of years since I’ve shot it.
    @jetfire, thank you for the constructive observation. It does, in fact "roll off" like a single action revolver.

@revchuck38, I've got a set of Hogue wood grips on order. Am hoping the shape and texture (went with stippling) help with this. We'll see.

Thanks all!

The problem is that this isn't really a solution with the Python. I don't think anyone here would question my grip strength with a revolver, but during my 2000 round test of the Python, one of the criticisms I had was that the factory stocks tend to force the gun to roll up and into the hand when you're shooting any kind of spicy load with any attempt at speed. It's actually part of the Python's design; it's a gun that really wants to be shot single action (wide flat hammer spur) and the grip shape helps place the hammer spur under the thumb in recoil, while also preserving some of the SAA's "roll the recoil off" features.

I'd much prefer a grip shape like the Trausch grips on the Manurhin that directs recoil back and helps keep the gun flat.
    That makes sense

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Thanks for that, you've saved me a well over a kilobuck. If I want another gun that should be shot single-action, get one of those.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

My IDPA Python has a cheap rubber Hogue grip that does ok in DA. I have since put them on my 4" Smiths for commonality.

Colt has been making that grip frame since 1908, but yes, SA shooting of even a DA revolver was the norm then and for a long time.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I'm interested to hear what you think about shooting the Python with the Grippers. After trying a large number of other grips/stocks, I've settled on Grippers for my S&W n-frames and k-frame. I'd put them on my GP100, too, but they didn't fit at all. They're not much to look at, but made a big difference for the web of my hand when shooting magnum ammo. I'm considering getting a Python, but a question I've had is whether Grippers actually fit it, and how the Python shoots with Grippers.

I apologize for being tardy, I have been busy with a new puppy. The other good news is the Grippers has changed the attitude of the Python. I shot about 60 rounds combined of 148dewc, 125jhp, 158swc and 158sjsp. I am getting more of straight back recoil than muzzle rise. The grips do not slip in my hand like the wood does. I think this is partly because I took the factory finish off of the grips when I sanded the finger grooves off and the sharp mold line off the back. The grips fit tight to the frame with zero play. They are thinner than factory and I think it will conceal well AIWB, if I can find some kydex for it. In all I am extremely pleased and have already ordered a second set of Grippers, just in case...

Gratis puppy pic

Daisy Mae, destroyer of shoes, conqueror of kibble, terror of cats...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I apologize for being tardy, I have been busy with a new puppy. The other good news is the Grippers has changed the attitude of the Python. I shot about 60 rounds combined of 148dewc, 125jhp, 158swc and 158sjsp. I am getting more of straight back recoil than muzzle rise. The grips do not slip in my hand like the wood does. I think this is partly because I took the factory finish off of the grips when I sanded the finger grooves off and the sharp mold line off the back. The grips fit tight to the frame with zero play. They are thinner than factory and I think it will conceal well AIWB, if I can find some kydex for it. In all I am extremely pleased and have already ordered a second set of Grippers, just in case...

That is REALLY good news, thanks so much! This was the last question I had about the Python. It'll still be a little while before I get one, I've got to wait on the last kid to graduate.

And I really like that puppy pic. She looks like a very fine dog.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Gratis puppy pic

Daisy Mae, destroyer of shoes, conqueror of kibble, terror of cats...
    Why do they always have to destroy shoes?

Beautiful dog.

So this rear sight…

I recently picked up my Python from the fine folks at my LGS. THE Colt Python! MY Colt Python! The first gun I wanted as a kid - Resident Evil! Half-Life! Pretty much every cop movie from the 70s and 80s! And after years of knowing they had become waaay too silly expensive for me to ever seriously consider buying an original, Colt released their improved version. I waited the requisite year+ and once the prices finally dropped to MSRP, told myself it’s time to plunk down some of that summer overtime money.

During my first range outing I was drilling rounds into the center of a B8 at 10 yards (which is great for me.) The elation I was feeling, the envious whistling from the RO…I was euphoric.

But it was only about 40 rounds in when my tight group started wandering to the left. It was then I learned the tiniest of windage set screws was loose and my rear sight had drifted. I re-centered it, but it again drifted after a few more rounds. As the set screw is such a small, uncommon size, I wasn’t able to find one behind the counter.

As I was driving home, emotions ranged from “I just shot MY Python, and it was amazing!” to “…but it crapped the bed! What a shit design of a sight!” Once home I found a 0.05 allen key to tighten it back down…and it immediately started to strip out. When I later removed it to measure it, it was dropped and lost twice in the carpet. A headlamp and magnet saved the day. During dry fire, with the set screw removed, I could see the head of the windage adjustment screw turning just from the hammer fall.

I found a slightly longer matching set screw through McMaster-Carr, which sits about flush with the top surface of the sight. For any other 2020 Python owners reading this, the stainless version (probably not the correct material for this application but hey, I can find it now without a magnifying glass) is part number 92311A08. It’s a 3-48 thread, 3/32” long 18-8 stainless cup-point. They also have a black alloy version available.

**McMaster-Carr will only send this screw out in packs of 100, so if anyone wants a handful to have in case they lose/strip their factory screw, PM me your mailing address and I’ll send you some.**

Once Bowen or another reputable company releases a replacement rear sight, this one’s going in the trash. I’m not a fan of a gun this expensive being deadlined because a near-microscopic screw gets lost. The rear sight will immediately start to drift if the set screw isn’t properly tightened.

I’ve read the accounts of GIs in Vietnam taping cleaning rods to their M16 hand guards for stuck case removal…maybe I should tape a .050 hex driver to the barrel of my Python? Maybe Colt can market some overpriced waterproof tape?

Grips- @Crazy Dane , you were right about the Pachmayer presentation grips being massive. I also ordered a NOS, two-piece Pachmayer I Frame “CI Small Grip” off Ebay which is the same dimensions front-to-back but about 10mm thinner side-to-side. They certainly feel better in the hand but I’m noticing some front sight wobble during the trigger break. I’m going to shoot with both at my next range session and go from there.

I’ve also ordered a Marble Arms green fiber optic front sight from Brownells, to see if it’s an improvement over the factory orange blade.

I’m going to make this work.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    From the Onion:

Name:  butterfly cobra.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  96.4 KB

Site Supporter

Trigger

I've fondled a couple new production Pythons. I will buy one. The trigger serrations and sharp edges bother me. Has anyone smoothed the trigger face and edges? If so, how did you go about it? Thanks very much.

User Tag List