Page 76 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

I think it was C.E. Harris who would zero an adjustable sight at its intended range and intended load.
    Then epoxy it.
    He said if he changed his mind, he could melt the epoxy and move the sight as required.

I never had any trouble out of an Elliason on GC or Python except the one installed crooked.
    My SM ACE .22 kicked the front sight loose but never moved the Elliason.
    And a King National Match fixed broke in half from the vicious recoil of my 1991A1 9mm.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The Hogue grip made a huge difference in shooting the Python for me. The gun no longer moves around in my hand. In addition, my granddaughter came with me today. At 21, it was her first time shooting… anything. We had an LTT 92 Elite, the Python, a suppressed AR carbine and a range rental 9MM, suppressed, select fire, AR. She did extremely well and says that she liked shooting the Python the most. Today was, truly, a good day.

Last, a Bowen Rough County rear sight would be a nice add that these 60 year old eyes would appreciate.

This description of an Elliason rear sight says it will not fit 2020 Pythons: https://stores.kensight.com/elliason...-square-blade/

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    This description of an Elliason rear sight says it will not fit 2020 Pythons: https://stores.kensight.com/elliason...-square-blade/

And the next question that comes to mind is "How much different is it, can it be fitted to a new one?"

It may not be drop in, but it also may not be too difficult to fit one up to work with a little work. If anyone has an example of both to compare.....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

The local Sportsmans Warehouse has THREE Pythons in stock! Fortunately, my wife and I have the flu. 🤣

The rear sight walked a little left again. Pretty sure I know why, more on that after verifying. I hadn't really noticed at 25 yards, but then aiming six at the 200 yard steel... I hit the plate to the left of the one being aimed at, and there was no wind. Back to 25, sure enough it was a couple inches left and the convenient dots on the rear sight showed that it had drifted just a little.
    I put a bit of solid blue Loctite on mine and it hasn’t budged with well over 1k downrange.

Same story with my second Python though the round count is less.

I suggest you do the same. Solves the issue completely, in my personal experience.

I also paint-filled those little dots, and witness marked the elevation screw, to help provide a quick visual confirmation in case either ever does move.

They have been rock-solid, but it’s nice to have the easy confirmation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Archer1440; 01-16-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    And the next question that comes to mind is "How much different is it, can it be fitted to a new one?"

It may not be drop in, but it also may not be too difficult to fit one up to work with a little work. If anyone has an example of both to compare.....
    The OEM width on the 2020 sight is the same as the stated width for the Kensight (0.315) and the length is close, a little longer presumably to include the more robust design (1.565 OEM vs 1.582 KS). Biggest visible difference appears to be the stepped design of the Kensight which suggests the blade may sit a little higher. Probably not too difficult to fabricate a taller front sight if that's the case. Of course there could be differences on the bottom of the rear sight because of the thicker topstrap on the new Python, no point in looking without having both sights in hand. The basic design is similar to the GP-100 (a pin in front, the elevation screw as the rear attachment) but the GP-100 is shorter at 1.300.

At $69 for the Kensight, that's not much of a risk.

The OEM width on the 2020 sight is the same as the stated width for the Kensight (0.315) and the length is close, a little longer presumably to include the more robust design (1.565 OEM vs 1.582 KS). Biggest visible difference appears to be the stepped design of the Kensight which suggests the blade may sit a little higher. Probably not too difficult to fabricate a taller front sight if that's the case. Of course there could be differences on the bottom of the rear sight because of the thicker topstrap on the new Python, no point in looking without having both sights in hand. The basic design is similar to the GP-100 (a pin in front, the elevation screw as the rear attachment) but the GP-100 is shorter at 1.300.

At $69 for the Kensight, that's not much of a risk.
    A shop in Iowa looked into using the Kensight Elliason. The smith posted on his blog that the machining costs were enough that he didn’t believe there would be much call for offering the service. He also stated that, at the time, there were about 30,000 new Pythons in circulation (the Anaconda had not been reintroduced at that point) and that he felt that demand would bring forth options.

https://www.heffronprecision.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    A shop in Iowa looked into using the Kensight Elliason. The smith posted on his blog that the machining costs were enough that he didn’t believe there would be much call for offering the service. He also stated that, at the time, there were about 30,000 new Pythons in circulation (the Anaconda had not been reintroduced at that point) and that he felt that demand would bring forth options.

https://www.heffronprecision.com/blog
    Thanks, that entire blog is interesting, lots of good Colt info and some for S&W also. I'm going to drop him a note and ask if there's anything new.

The post referenced here is from 3/8/2021, and says:

"FITTING A DIFFERENT REAR SIGHT TO THE NEW PYTHON IS NOT WORKING OUT SO WELL: This kind of stuff really is quite frustrating. I understand WHY Colt did what they did, but I don't understand WHY companies aren't offering replacement sights. Here's the issue with fitting an Elliason sight to the NEW Python.

This rear sight issue has been an ongoing thorn in my side. I can understand the “theology” behind the new rear sight (at least when it was explained to me), but I’ve still been digging nonetheless.

Regarding how loose many of these sights fit onto the gun, I have developed a solution for that. Unlike many videos and internet posts, I do NOT use shims. The solution is to “squeeze” a portion of the sight so it fits snugly. No more sloppy sight! I am going to start offering it as a service for $20, because it does take a little while to do it. It’s one of those things that could be done while the revolver is here for action tuning. The current sight (once the loose fit is addressed) does have many positives.

-While it looks like an Airsoft sight, it is made from an extremely tough spring-steel.

-It offers infinite adjustment for windage, just like the pre-1950 Colt target revolvers did.

-It offers finer adjustment for elevation.

-It offers a nice sight picture.

THE BAD:

-It’s ugly.

-Adjusting windage does take additional fiddling around due to the locking screw.

As I have gone further into this, it has become clear that modifying an Elliason rear sight (Kensight is making the Eliason again-they are very nice!) will take a minimum of 4 machining steps. I will supply pics as to why this is. The Elliason sight alone is $75. All of the modification, believe it or not, is close to 2.5 hours. 2.5 hours = $112.50. That makes a rear sight costing $187.50. I don’t see many takers at that price.

The biggest problem is that the topstrap on the new Python is different. Not only in it’s thickness, but there is a reinforcing “hump” underneath the rear sight tang, located where the retaining pin is at. The new sight is contoured to fit around this. At best, a modified Elliason would have some of this “hump” showing on TOP of the sight tang.

Shortening tang-length forward of the retaining pin is 1 step. The second step is overcoming that topstrap-reinforcing “hump”. While I am doing this stuff (I am pretty busy with guns) I have been on a campaign with Kensight about making a sight for the new Python. So far, Colt has produced about 30,000 new Pythons. It should be worth it to offer a new rear sight. I will keep you all posted regarding the progress of this exercise."

Thanks, that entire blog is interesting, lots of good Colt info and some for S&W also. I'm going to drop him a note and ask if there's anything new.

The post referenced here is from 3/8/2021, and says:

As I have gone further into this, it has become clear that modifying an Elliason rear sight (Kensight is making the Eliason again-they are very nice!) will take a minimum of 4 machining steps. I will supply pics as to why this is. The Elliason sight alone is $75. All of the modification, believe it or not, is close to 2.5 hours. 2.5 hours = $112.50. That makes a rear sight costing $187.50. I don’t see many takers at that price.
    I'd don't think he'd get a lot of takers, since my guess is that most pythons won't even get fired, but $190 doesn't seem all that bad (to me) if the thing installs easily. Plenty of $100-$150 rear sights in Brownells. I bet if he sold them for $200 shipped on his site he'd move some. Bowen rough country's are $110. That being said the stock ones in the pics don't look that bad to me either.

User Tag List