Page 106 of 132 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1313

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Once I'm convinced these are "cured" of the initial complaints I'd like to get a 4.25 and a 3. I'm reading improved version of the original in terms of durability and longevity, but still skeptical. I don't care about collector value.
    Except for the original rear sight which I've already replaced with a Wilson Combat sight, I have no complaints about my 4.25 inch. Waited a year to let others be the guinea pigs, bought mine last January. Fit, finish, and reliability are excellent on my example, and I've seen no obvious issues on half a dozen others handled at LGS. Can't say that about a certain other revolver manufacturer in recent years. The DA trigger pull on mine is 8+ lbs and smooth, and lockup is solid after almost a year.

I went with 4.25-inch because, as noted above, it's a good all around size. The 3-inch niche is already filled by my King Cobra, although if I didn't have that and was looking for a carry option the shorter barreled Python would get some consideration. The 3-inch only recently went on the California roster and started to turn up on shelves, it wasn't yet available when I bought mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Once I'm convinced these are "cured" of the initial complaints I'd like to get a 4.25 and a 3. I'm reading improved version of the original in terms of durability and longevity, but still skeptical. I don't care about collector value.
    I’ve owned 3 Pythons, and they were all 100%. All 3 have had the same great trigger pull, and quality is perfect.

ETA Barrel/cylinder gap is near and dear to me, and all 3 Pythons had a gap of .005”. My S&W revolvers gaps varied, but nothing too bad.
    Last edited by FrankB; 11-27-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

S&W Girl goes USPSA with a Python

As those who have been paying attention may have deduced, I bought a 3" Python from @FrankB earlier this month. He installed a Wilson rear sight and a Wilson red fiber-optic front sight before selling it to me.

Last night, I shot a four-stage match with it (100 rounds). It seemed that I could get a much faster sight picture with the FO sight. In shooting, I didn't notice the serrated trigger; this morning, I can feel a sore spot on my index finger. The DA pull was just sweet in shooting, feeling out of the box a bit like a well-broken in K-frame.

I was having a little issue with extraction, but one of the professional trainers there told me that I was babying the extraction, to stop pressing the ejector rod and smack it. That did the trick. I noticed that I'm not going vertical enough in reloading; I'll have to drill a little with snap-caps.

My biggest problem, though, was remembering that I had to pull back on the cylinder latch. That's what a lot of shooting with a S&W will do. I've shot a Security Six in a match and didn't have this much of an issue. Just something to get used to.

As an aside, the guy who gave me the tip said that he has a 4.25" Python and that he uses a King Cobra Carry in his training classes because, if the only gun available is a revolver, you'd better know how to run it. (I'm guessing that he's not training newbies.)

It seemed to me that carry optics are taking over, from the number of shooters with them. One guy looked at me as I was preparing my shit for the match and said; "You're shooting a revolver in USPSA? You're an animal!" I took that as a compliment.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    As those who have been paying attention may have deduced, I bought a 3" Python from @FrankB earlier this month. He installed a Wilson rear sight and a Wilson red fiber-optic front sight before selling it to me.

Last night, I shot a four-stage match with it (100 rounds). It seemed that I could get a much faster sight picture with the FO sight. In shooting, I didn't notice the serrated trigger; this morning, I can feel a sore spot on my index finger. The DA pull was just sweet in shooting, feeling out of the box a bit like a well-broken in K-frame.

I was having a little issue with extraction, but one of the professional trainers there told me that I was babying the extraction, to stop pressing the ejector rod and smack it. That did the trick. I noticed that I'm not going vertical enough in reloading; I'll have to drill a little with snap-caps.

My biggest problem, though, was remembering that I had to pull back on the cylinder latch. That's what a lot of shooting with a S&W will do. I've shot a Security Six in a match and didn't have this much of an issue. Just something to get used to.

As an aside, the guy who gave me the tip said that he has a 4.25" Python and that he uses a King Cobra Carry in his training classes because, if the only gun available is a revolver, you'd better know how to run it. (I'm guessing that he's not training newbies.)

It seemed to me that carry optics are taking over, from the number of shooters with them. One guy looked at me as I was preparing my shit for the match and said; "You're shooting a revolver in USPSA? You're an animal!" I took that as a compliment.
    Nice

There's another Marine I shoot with regularly and he always tells me that I'm out and I don't need to make things harder than I need to anymore.

I plan on sending the cylinder out of my newly ordered mountain gun to have it cut for moon clips so I think next year it will be back to revolvers for competitions next year.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Nice

There's another Marine I shoot with regularly and he always tells me that I'm out and I don't need to make things harder than I need to anymore.

I plan on sending the cylinder out of my newly ordered mountain gun to have it cut for moon clips so I think next year it will be back to revolvers for competitions next year.
    I didn’t know that moonclips were a thing for .45 Colt.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Moonclips can be used in rimmed cartridges also. The cylinder must be machined to accommodate these full moon clips which facilitate extraction and reloading. I used half moon clips when shooting Colt and S&W 45 ACP revolvers and disliked messing with them.

Site Supporter

My lgs has been stocking Pythons which sell quickly. Sitting in my reserved seat there, I have very closely examined two recently shipped Pythons. Each was an outstanding specimen.

S&W L frame holsters also fit Pythons.

Like Willie said it's doable but my plan is to use it with ACP.

I just put a set of Hogue's on the Python, and the yard is covered with redwood needles and California sycamore leaves so plenty of good photo backgrounds, and diffuse light from storm clouds moving in.

Name:  python1.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  103.5 KB

The factory stocks were pretty good, and while taking them off I was impressed by the fit; they were tight, took a few gentle taps to get them loose. Revolver stocks are a personal thing though, and these were a bit thin toward the top for me, it complicated getting a consistent grip. On the other hand I like the rubber Hogue's on my King Cobra a lot, they're a near perfect fit for my hands. The ones for the Python are a similar design, just a little larger. So it seemed worth a try.

Initial impressions are favorable. They fit my hand nicely, and they point as well and as naturally as the KC version. My hand fits in one consistent location and stays there. Strong hand placement is a bit lower than on the factory stocks and in better alignment for a straight-back trigger pull, while the support hand is forced a little higher by the flare at the base. They're a bit longer than the factory stocks, about a quarter-inch longer, although slightly more rounded off at the bottom. Safariland Comp II speedloaders clear with ease with 357 Barnes 140gr Vor-TX. These are Pau Ferro, partially because I like darker wood, and partially because they were in stock and they took only two days to get here. The Wilson Combat rear sights are in the photo, still the factory front until I get around to ordering a WC red fiber optic.

We're expecting over an inch of rain tonight, I may take this to the range anyway and see how they work. The rangehouse is covered, it's only the targets that are out in the weather.

Those grips look nice. Good combo

User Tag List