Page 107 of 132 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1318

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

I waited til today to go to the range, it was an interesting day. We're sort of between two storms, with cells of rain alternating with sun.

I RSO at two local ranges, one nearby and pistol only, one 45 minutes away and both rifle and pistol, 7 to 600 yds. I have keys to both, but decided to wait and go to the more distant one because I can work from the holster there on weekdays which are RSO access only, and I also needed to sight in a RDS on an AR.

That range is 12 miles inland and partway up the slope of the coast range, it's in a valley within timber lands. Well below the snow line, but generally cooler and wetter than at the coast this time of year. Leaving the house it was 50s and sunny, at the start the range wasn't bad at all, sunny and 47. Then the rain came in, it dropped to 42, and turned to sleet.

Name:  IMG_0533.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  45.2 KB

It took a cylinder to adjust to the new grips, after that they made it easier to shoot well. That's despite cold and wet fingers, because I did about half the testing out on the grass at various distances and fully in the weather. With 38 sp 158gr LSWC 3.5 Bullseye loads, it didn't shift at all in my hands, very secure grip. Tried a few after that with my USPc and that was actually slightly harder to hang onto in the wet conditions, although with warmer 9mm NATO level loads.

Overall it was a fun day, in a strange way it was more interesting than a boring warm sunny day would have been. I will get to the other range next week though and test a little more extensively.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My lgs has been stocking Pythons which sell quickly. Sitting in my reserved seat there, I have very closely examined two recently shipped Pythons. Each was an outstanding specimen.

S&W L frame holsters also fit Pythons.
    If Colt unfucked the rear sight, and offered a smooth trigger as an option, S&W could stop making six-shot 686s.

Just the opinion of someone who bought her first S&W revolver when James the Pious was president.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Removing trigger grooves is easily done to look like a factory offering, I've had several Smith triggers undergo this operation. After locating a good tech, you can remove the trigger and send it.

WC has the front FO sights back in stock: https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Colt-Py...products/1544/

I’ve been using the stock front sight with a WC rear, but the FO sight picture on the Python looked pretty good. I never had a chance to try it, so I just ordered another.

Well, I'd put one of my old Smith's, that had become too collectible, on the market to cover the cost of the Python (and then some). I finally got it sold and was jonesing to hit the LGS. Then, my oldest son informed me he's taking his cunt of an ex-wife back to court, in order to gain primary custody of their two kids. Consequently, I gave him the proceeds to help with the attorney fees. You'll all have to carry on without me in the new Python club, for the time being.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I’ve been using the stock front sight with a WC rear, but the FO sight picture on the Python looked pretty good. I never had a chance to try it, so I just ordered another.
    I'll bet that you'll love the FO sight. It is very fast to acquire.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I just wish my 4.25" (7/21 manufacture) would stop the light primer strikes. Even after a return to Colt back in October. All factory ammo, to date the Python doesn't like Armscor and PMC Bronze. Even my Anaconda had a couple light primer strikes using Hornady Leverevolution. Just not warm and fuzzy over their ignition system. Seems colt sacrificed reliability in favor of trigger pull.

I'm sorta hesitant in upgrading to the Wilson sights given the ignition issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I just wish my 4.25" (7/21 manufacture) would stop the light primer strikes. Even after a return to Colt back in October. All factory ammo, to date the Python doesn't like Armscor and PMC Bronze. Even my Anaconda had a couple light primer strikes using Hornady Leverevolution. Just not warm and fuzzy over their ignition system. Seems colt sacrificed reliability in favor of trigger pull.

I'm sorta hesitant in upgrading to the Wilson sights given the ignition issues.
    I've had a small handful of light strikes myself - thought I was over-seating primers. I'll have to try with factory ammunition and see what we see.

Still impatiently waiting for Wilson sights to be back in stock, and for someone to come up with a smooth trigger option. Unfortunately, there's only one "gunsmith" in town, and he's a hack that I'd never let anywhere near my Python.

Over on the Colt forum, a member posted "we are going to release a heaver V-spring shortly to address light strikes" the problem is no one knows who the "we" is yet.

I haven't experienced any light strikes with the 3 inch that fail to ignite a primer but I feel like it's on the ragged edge of reliability and would appreciate a little heaver spring. My 4 inch is great. I have considered swapping springs around but until I get a set Wilson sights, they are just range toys.

No light strikes on any of the 3 Pythons I’ve owned. The last one has had plenty of rounds, including cheap Norma. I’ve ordered a bunch of Federal, but only because it’s not as smoky as the case of Norma I have.

Is it difficult to remove the sideplate? Not at all. I’ve seen comments on other forums about bending the mainspring outward, so…

User Tag List