Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

.32 vs .38

So if you could have an otherwise identical revolver in .38 or .32, which way would you go? Obvious things that come to mind are cheaper ammo and snake shot available for the .38, and an extra cartridge and Buffalo Bore wadcutters for the .32.

Thoughts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

.32 craze is a fad that won’t last very long. My opinion.

Site Supporter
    For me, the only advantage a .32 would have is an extra round in a J frame. That would be more than offset by the extra expense of factory ammo and also setting up for reloading (I'm currently in the process of loading a five-gallon bucket of .38 Special brass). While I do carry a J frame on occasion, as a retired guy who a) stays out of NPEs and b) follows the Rule of the Three Stupids, that juice just ain't worth the squeeze. I'm 72, maybe when I'm in my eighties that math will change.

OTOH, if I stumbled onto a 6" M16-something square butt, I might could be persuaded, but that would be for UIT Centerfire.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

In terms of the abundance of loadings and of availability (pretty much any small town store that offers any ammo will have some form of.22LR, 12 gauge and .38 Spl.), I'd lean toward the .38.

Growing up in a small town (then ~2,000 pop), I could find .38 in a local hardware store, an auto parts store, and any number of "country stores". Not so much .32, IIRC.

(Old fart musing: One of those country stores parking area, at least from the store front to the gas pumps, was "paved" with soda pop bottle caps. Early and smart recycling.)

.32 S&W J frames bring crazy money, and their front sight isn't compatible with the D&L sight installation, which is frustrating. Darryl sure likes the .32 and I thought the testing they did at the Gunsite revolver round up showed the Buffalo Bore wadcutter performing very well.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I would jump all over a .32 caliber J frame loaded with Lost River wadcutters. The sixth round gives a bit of extra comfort. One would have to be a reloader to support it, however - but then again, one almost has to be to shoot .38/.357 in any real volume these days. Revolvers are easy to keep brass for and they’re easy on carry ammo when loading/unloading, so I don’t view those extra costs as particularly significant.

With the Kimber 6 shot 38 that weighs under 16 oz. and the cylinder is 0.1" (3/32) larger than a 642 how does that factor in?

I have only seen 32 at Cabelas in my area and I frequent many shooting stores

If 32 ammo and guns were readily available I would likely have one

But I will stick with 38 as it is much easier and more flexable

Depending on weather/sitsuation I carry a 10 shot J frames. (kinda trumps the 5 vs 6 discussion)

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    (Old fart musing: One of those country stores parking area, at least from the store front to the gas pumps, was "paved" with soda pop bottle caps. Early and smart recycling.)
    The parking lots, gutters and road shoulders of my hometown used to have a fair sprinkling of bottle caps and crushed cans; one could easily spot the brand preference changes of the underage drinking set (the ones a few years older than myself). Grain Belt, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Hamm's, Old Milwaukee...

ANYhow...

I tried occasionally (though halfheartedly) to make .32 part of my team, but I never thought they had any advantage other than adding capacity to some revolvers. I was influenced to some extent by old timers who related dismal tales of the ineffectiveness of the average .32 revolver in such mundane tasks as stopping a crazed guy threatening fellow tipplers, putting down a steer who raised objections to being butchered, etc, etc. That area between the .22 rimfires and the .38 S&W (let alone the .38 Special) was pretty lackluster to those old timers... with maybe the exception of the .32-20, which was not a particularly common handgun chambering... not in my neck of the woods anyway.

That being said, I still marvel at how many old guys (and sometimes old ladies) back then still had a relatively inexpensive .32 revolver which they seldom fired, but which was kept hidden "away from the grandkids" (wishful thinking- the kids knew where it was and how to get to it). Local men of sound repute who would be deputized by the sheriff or made special town officers would dig them out, carry them for a couple hours and put them back in some drawer. They were relatively inexpensive, one box of ammo from the hardware store might last the owner 25 years, and they would make people and animals leak... I suppose it is all in the perspective.

About all I can say is that the .327 Federal Magnum cured me once and for all of any longing for any .32/7.65 handgun that didn't come back from WWII in a GI's dufflebag.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

IMO 38 is to revolvers what 9x19 has become for pistols, may or may not be optimal, but is widespread enough to make it a big decision to deviate.
    But the 38 is probably not an optimal case capacity for best performance out of a short barrel.

But, maybe like the 30 Super Carry, it could allow someone who is already familiar to have an additional copy in the alternative chambering that holds more. So if I was going to just have one, it would be 38, but if I was going to get another, maybe one of the 32s would be interesting, since I already have four of the 38s.

I have both 38 and 32 J frames. I experimented with the 38 Short Colt in my model 36 because it's extremly hard to shoot accurately (for me) with regular loads. Accuracy improved greatly using 38 SC. My conclusion was, if I carry it I'll use 38 SC ammo. I can shoot my model 31-1 accurately with regular loads.

I'm of the opinion that 38 spl should be limited to a K frame unless you can shoot a J frame accurately. We had to qualify to use our pistol range a few years ago. The target was an 8" bullseye at 7 yds. I didn't see anyone trying that using a J frame 38. I did see several K frames and even a 32 J frame. That target would be a piece of cake for me with my 31-1, even at 15 yards. It's a 4''.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-21-2024 at 11:34 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List