Page 104 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1318

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

I'm very impressed with my 4.25" Python, EXCEPT the rear sight. Mine is so loose and sloppy that, fundamentally, it's unshootable. Best "group" I've been able to shoot, seated, with a rest, is about 4". For reference, that's about half again bigger than I can shoot in the same condition with a P365XL.

I don't doubt the revolver is capable of much better, but I can't get any of that with the POS rear sight. Shelving mine to avoid wasting ammo until my Wilson rear sight comes in - hopefully it'll be before I get so torqued about this that I just sell the revolver...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Part of me now has a case of the wantsies for one of these new gen pythons.

Trading on the old name aside...they seem to be a pretty solid revolver and largely corrected the failure points of the older design from what I've heard.
    Colt ought to just suck it up and license the Wilson sights.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Wilson Combat has the rear U notch sight back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I REALLY dislike U-notch sights. If they were a couple of bucks less, I might roll the dice, but I'll just wait. Impatiently.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I REALLY dislike U-notch sights. If they were a couple of bucks less, I might roll the dice, but I'll just wait. Impatiently.
    I really only look at the tops of sights, and the U notch could be filed square. Stay tuned….

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  44.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Part of me now has a case of the wantsies for one of these new gen pythons.

Trading on the old name aside...they seem to be a pretty solid revolver and largely corrected the failure points of the older design from what I've heard.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Same here. I’m seriously thinking about getting a six inch as I have Rugers in 2”, 4”, and 5”.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Thanks for that; I alerted a friend who wants a set for his Python.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

As good a time as any to summarize my current thoughts on the 2020 Python:

First, a big thank you to Colt for stepping up over the past few years and designing/producing quality revolvers. Overall I'm happy with both of my recent Colt revolver acquisitions, including a 4.25-inch Python picked up not quite a year ago.

If I were going to carry a Python, I'd get a 3-inch. The weight shown a few posts up is comparable to a GP100 MC, and I've carried those in the woods before. As it is, I'm going to stick with my 2019 Colt King Cobra 3-inch for woods carry. Not as pretty as a Python, but 10 oz lighter than a 3-inch Python, a lot easier to conceal, and I shoot it just as well out to 15 yards. For urban carry I'd consider an even lighter Night Cobra, although I haven't seen one of those on shelves in ages.

My only major beef about the new Python is the rear sight. Let's be direct, it's a joke, many examples wobble (easy to fix, but why should I need to fix it?), and the set screw design is fragile. I get the intent, but what's the point of a continuously variable windage sight if one needs to loctite it to keep it from walking? And the set screw is just too small. Easy to strip, and one whack can knock the sight out of alignment. I know it's a third-party manufacture, but Colt could have done better, much better. Why build a revolver with absolute solid cylinder lockup, and hype that in marketing, and then overlook a sloppy and toy-like rear sight provided by a vendor? I don't get it.

It's great to see the aftermarket stepping up. Harrison sights, now Wilson Combat sights, which resolve that one deal-killer issue and fit the overall quality of the rest of the revolver. Kensight Eliason sights allegedly on the way soon. Not sure what happened to the reported Allchin RDS mount, hopefully that's still to come. None of this is a surprise, given that there are allegedly something like 300,000 examples of the 2020 Python already on the street and more to follow. That's a decent sized market for a modern revolver, and given that they are moderately expensive revolvers some of the people buying them will presumably also spend on other things.

Leather is easy, because my existing GP100 holster fits well and so do at least some L-frame holsters. Stocks I think are the same as the older version of the Python, so there are already some choices there.

More on stocks, while the factory ones work better than I expected, I've come to realize that I'd prefer something not quite as thin front to back at the top. That's a personal thing, what works for my hands won't work for someone else's, so choices are good. One reason I like the King Cobra so much is that it points very naturally for me with the factory grips, and that contributes to the accuracy. So I'm considering a couple of different options and will report back after I decide and order something.

Someone on the Colt forum suggested now that we're seeing sight options, one of those companies could perhaps follow up with a smooth replacement trigger. While the factory trigger doesn't especially bother me, it is a bit aggressively grooved and someday when we have tons of 38/357 ammo and primers again, a long range session could be less than comfortable. So, a hint to Wilson Combat or whoever else is listening?

So overall, the 2020 Python is a win. I'm happy that I spent the money. For lack of a better term, the Python is a charismatic revolver, there's something intangible about it that makes it more fun to shoot.

I just got my Wilson sights today and installed them. I'm planning on taking it to the range on Saturday. Will post some pics then.

Are the 2020 Pythons drilled/tapped in the top strap? I can’t find any examples of one with a scope or optic mounted anywhere.

User Tag List