Page 46 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks...

Nothing like a tough, accurate, good looking sixgun. I just wish I had the money for one.

Any word on replacement grips?
    I looked around the interwebz for some, since the new python and old python can share the same grips. Pachmayr has its old Gripper rubber grips which should improve control but maybe at the cost of some trigger reach; Hogue has monogrips on wood and rubber and I imagine the rubber ones help but I personally dislike their finger grooves; Eagle Grips has some as well (and they look very nice) and, except for the finger grooves I can't tell whether or not they do anything about the "roll". Most "custom" wood stocks that I've seen on the net seem to replicate the original Python ones (made by Altamont for this iteration) and probably won't change anything for the better.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I looked around the interwebz for some, since the new python and old python can share the same grips. Pachmayr has its old Gripper rubber grips which should improve control but maybe at the cost of some trigger reach; Hogue has monogrips on wood and rubber and I imagine the rubber ones help but I personally dislike their finger grooves; Eagle Grips has some as well (and they look very nice) and, except for the finger grooves I can't tell whether or not they do anything about the "roll". Most "custom" wood stocks that I've seen on the net seem to replicate the original Python ones (made by Altamont for this iteration) and probably won't change anything for the better.
    My first N Frame came with Pachymayr Grippers. It's a fair ways back, but I don't recall them hurting trigger reach much. They have a weird profile: deep front to rear, but narrow side to side. The narrowness probably offsets that depth in hand positioning. Oddly, I just ordered a pair yesterday, out of nostalgia and a coupon that needed using, again for an N frame. They should be here by end of week. If I remember to, I'll report back with a fresh impression (albeit for a larger Smith frame).

Site Supporter
    IIRC, Pachmayr Grippers were offered in two versions - Grippers with the covered backstrap and Gripper Professionals with the backstrap open. I had these for K frames and found that I needed the Professionals to get proper trigger reach for DA shooting. I'm 6'1" and have average hands for my height. FWIW, all my DA revolvers other than J frames have open backstraps for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks...

Nothing like a tough, accurate, good looking sixgun. I just wish I had the money for one.

Any word on replacement grips?
    Nothing yet. I am trying to get in touch with old school Python grip makers to see if they fit, but a lot of those guys struggle with “email”

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    For those interested, here's part 2 of the article. While these were published days apart, there were written months apart. And Part 2 was written after a 500 round marathon session where I fired 500 rounds over the course of 45 minutes.

Colt Python Part 2
    That is a dirty-ass revolver in those pics. Nice work.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

@Wondering Beard:

Pachmayr's are here. Still haven't worked out the trade for the revolver I want to put them on but let that not stop SCIENCE! Put them on a 1917 for measuring purposes:

Faux Ivory-ish stock 1917 style grips. Finger reach on frame marked in purple:

Name:  20210415_191158.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  44.1 KB

Wraparound Grippers. Finger reach on frame marked in Orange:

Name:  20210415_191656.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  60.7 KB

All in, at max, it might be 1/32" difference in finger reach.

How this squares with @revchuck38 's experience with K frames I'm not sure. 1st thought is different hand shapes. 2nd thought is the finger reach differences may become more exteme as the frame size gets smaller. Not sure if that helps but there you go...

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    @Wondering Beard:

Pachmayr's are here. Still haven't worked out the trade for the revolver I want to put them on but let that not stop SCIENCE! Put them on a 1917 for measuring purposes:

Faux Ivory-ish stock 1917 style grips. Finger reach on frame marked in purple:

Name:  20210415_191158.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  44.1 KB

Wraparound Grippers. Finger reach on frame marked in Orange:

Name:  20210415_191656.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  60.7 KB

All in, at max, it might be 1/32" difference in finger reach.

How this squares with @revchuck38 's experience with K frames I'm not sure. 1st thought is different hand shapes. 2nd thought is the finger reach differences may become more exteme as the frame size gets smaller. Not sure if that helps but there you go...
    Thank you for showing this.

I guess if I ever get a Python I'll just have to try and see. I had Grippers on a 686 and liked them fine but that was in comparison to the wood 2x4 stocks the gun originally came with (early 90s)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I blame jetfire and his 2 part article for this following me home. There are other enablers too, so don't feel left out.

I went to the local Sportsmans Warehouse for my by-weekly troll for anything useful and they had just put this on the shelf. They had 2 and before I checked out the other one sold as well. I did pretty good on the price. I had gotten my members reward coupons in the mail last week, $10 off of $50, $50 off of $250 and the one they think you will never use $250 off of $1000. They give me some grief but no where on it said I couldn't use it on firearms, so that will be a policy change soon. I haven't shot it yet, maybe this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Nothing yet. I am trying to get in touch with old school Python grip makers to see if they fit, but a lot of those guys struggle with “email”
    Python grips from any generation fit the new guns. May be a tad bit more gappy at the base of the grip frame. But they fit and screw down firmly.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Python grips from any generation fit the new guns. May be a tad bit more gappy at the base of the grip frame. But they fit and screw down firmly.
    Rad!

User Tag List