Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 484

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

  1. #451
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks...

    Nothing like a tough, accurate, good looking sixgun. I just wish I had the money for one.

    Any word on replacement grips?
    I looked around the interwebz for some, since the new python and old python can share the same grips. Pachmayr has its old Gripper rubber grips which should improve control but maybe at the cost of some trigger reach; Hogue has monogrips on wood and rubber and I imagine the rubber ones help but I personally dislike their finger grooves; Eagle Grips has some as well (and they look very nice) and, except for the finger grooves I can't tell whether or not they do anything about the "roll". Most "custom" wood stocks that I've seen on the net seem to replicate the original Python ones (made by Altamont for this iteration) and probably won't change anything for the better.
    “An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  2. #452
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I looked around the interwebz for some, since the new python and old python can share the same grips. Pachmayr has its old Gripper rubber grips which should improve control but maybe at the cost of some trigger reach; Hogue has monogrips on wood and rubber and I imagine the rubber ones help but I personally dislike their finger grooves; Eagle Grips has some as well (and they look very nice) and, except for the finger grooves I can't tell whether or not they do anything about the "roll". Most "custom" wood stocks that I've seen on the net seem to replicate the original Python ones (made by Altamont for this iteration) and probably won't change anything for the better.
    My first N Frame came with Pachymayr Grippers. It's a fair ways back, but I don't recall them hurting trigger reach much. They have a weird profile: deep front to rear, but narrow side to side. The narrowness probably offsets that depth in hand positioning. Oddly, I just ordered a pair yesterday, out of nostalgia and a coupon that needed using, again for an N frame. They should be here by end of week. If I remember to, I'll report back with a fresh impression (albeit for a larger Smith frame).

  3. #453
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    South Louisiana
    IIRC, Pachmayr Grippers were offered in two versions - Grippers with the covered backstrap and Gripper Professionals with the backstrap open. I had these for K frames and found that I needed the Professionals to get proper trigger reach for DA shooting. I'm 6'1" and have average hands for my height. FWIW, all my DA revolvers other than J frames have open backstraps for that reason.

  4. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks...

    Nothing like a tough, accurate, good looking sixgun. I just wish I had the money for one.

    Any word on replacement grips?
    Nothing yet. I am trying to get in touch with old school Python grip makers to see if they fit, but a lot of those guys struggle with “email”
    I shot the PX4 before it was cool.

  5. #455
    happy sharps enabler Totem Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    PacNW
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    For those interested, here's part 2 of the article. While these were published days apart, there were written months apart. And Part 2 was written after a 500 round marathon session where I fired 500 rounds over the course of 45 minutes.

    Colt Python Part 2
    That is a dirty-ass revolver in those pics. Nice work.
    ”It's important to remember that ALL news media is a consumer product. Just like soda and fast food, they don't have any incentive to make it good for you, just addictive enough for you to keep coming back for more.”
    -Nephrology

  6. #456
    @Wondering Beard:

    Pachmayr's are here. Still haven't worked out the trade for the revolver I want to put them on but let that not stop SCIENCE! Put them on a 1917 for measuring purposes:

    Faux Ivory-ish stock 1917 style grips. Finger reach on frame marked in purple:

    Name:  20210415_191158.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  44.1 KB

    Wraparound Grippers. Finger reach on frame marked in Orange:

    Name:  20210415_191656.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  60.7 KB

    All in, at max, it might be 1/32" difference in finger reach.

    How this squares with @revchuck38 's experience with K frames I'm not sure. 1st thought is different hand shapes. 2nd thought is the finger reach differences may become more exteme as the frame size gets smaller. Not sure if that helps but there you go...

  7. #457
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    @Wondering Beard:

    Pachmayr's are here. Still haven't worked out the trade for the revolver I want to put them on but let that not stop SCIENCE! Put them on a 1917 for measuring purposes:

    Faux Ivory-ish stock 1917 style grips. Finger reach on frame marked in purple:

    Name:  20210415_191158.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  44.1 KB

    Wraparound Grippers. Finger reach on frame marked in Orange:

    Name:  20210415_191656.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  60.7 KB

    All in, at max, it might be 1/32" difference in finger reach.

    How this squares with @revchuck38 's experience with K frames I'm not sure. 1st thought is different hand shapes. 2nd thought is the finger reach differences may become more exteme as the frame size gets smaller. Not sure if that helps but there you go...
    Thank you for showing this.

    I guess if I ever get a Python I'll just have to try and see. I had Grippers on a 686 and liked them fine but that was in comparison to the wood 2x4 stocks the gun originally came with (early 90s)
    “An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  8. #458
    Site Supporter Crazy Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    In the far blue mountains
    I blame jetfire and his 2 part article for this following me home. There are other enablers too, so don't feel left out.



    I went to the local Sportsmans Warehouse for my by-weekly troll for anything useful and they had just put this on the shelf. They had 2 and before I checked out the other one sold as well. I did pretty good on the price. I had gotten my members reward coupons in the mail last week, $10 off of $50, $50 off of $250 and the one they think you will never use $250 off of $1000. They give me some grief but no where on it said I couldn't use it on firearms, so that will be a policy change soon. I haven't shot it yet, maybe this afternoon.

  9. #459
    Illinexit in T-Minus 43 RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mordor on Lake Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Nothing yet. I am trying to get in touch with old school Python grip makers to see if they fit, but a lot of those guys struggle with “email”
    Python grips from any generation fit the new guns. May be a tad bit more gappy at the base of the grip frame. But they fit and screw down firmly.
    Remember the wisdom of the Wu:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wu Tang Clan
    You best protect ya neck

  10. #460
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Python grips from any generation fit the new guns. May be a tad bit more gappy at the base of the grip frame. But they fit and screw down firmly.
    Rad!
    I shot the PX4 before it was cool.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •