Page 50 of 132 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    In the recent Gun Guys video, @Mas mentioned that one of the factors for the accuracy of the old Python was that the bore tapered very slightly towards the muzzle.

Does anyone know if this is true for the new ones? (Or iff it was really true for the old ones?)
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 06-04-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    In the recent Gun Guys video, @Mas mentioned that one of the factors for the accuracy of the old Python was that the bore tapered very slightly towards the muzzle.

Does anyone know if this is true for the new ones? (Or iff it was really true for the old ones?)
    Thats why I thought people put colt barrels on smith frames.

The Canadian c-7 does too

Yes, that's true. Can't say for the new ones, but I doubt it. If nothing else Colt has always made really good barrels. I've had more than one gunsmith tell me there's no reason to drop an aftermarket barrel into a Colt based build.

Back in the day, Colt ruled the competition world when it was single action bullseye. This was largely due to their barrel quality. That didn't start to change until the advent of DA based competition like PPC. Between my Colt OMM and my S&W M14, the Colt edges ahead in SA shooting, but the S&W eats its lunch in DA.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Another plus for Colt barrels is that they’re rifled 1-14”, which helps stabilize HBWCs. Many PPC revolvers were built with 1-10” twist barrels to maximize this.

I went out for a stroll this morning and took the Colt along, it rained, it's always raining. As I made it back home I got to my target board and decided I would shoot at least what was in the gun. After the third round I gave up and come on into the house. I had wet hands, gun was dry as I had my raincoat over top of it, and trying to hold onto those polished wood stocks was akin to trying to hold onto a greased piglet. I intend to eventually pair this with a .357 long gun to carry afield and want something a bit more grippy for inclement weather.

Searching the web for possible solutions has led me to 2 models of Pachmayrs, the 2528 with a closed back Amazon.com : Pachmayr 02528 Gripper Grips, Colt I Frame, Black (02528) : Gun Grips : Sports & Outdoors or the 2529 open back Amazon.com : Pachmayr 02529 Professional W/Open Backstrap, Colt I Frame : Gun Grips : Sports & Outdoors and this set of Hogues Amazon.com : Pachmayr 02529 Professional W/Open Backstrap, Colt I Frame : Gun Grips : Sports & Outdoors. All 3 of these have finger grooves and would most likely see a Dremel to reduce or remove them. I have never found a set of Hogue's that I like and would be the last out of these options.

Another option I am considering is just sanding the smooth off of the walnut stocks at least on the front strap or getting a second set from Altamont. I would do this before I stuck grip tape on anything, I hate that stuff.
    I did bid on set of Pachmayer Presentations on fleabay but I don't think they have been made for the Colts for a while now and concerned about the rubber being stiff and brittle. I did find a custom set of Sambar Stags for only $500

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post

Thank you, I think these are awesome, ordered. On side note I did a search there on Numrich this morning and those did not turn up.

I always though it was an old wives tale... it would be VERY difficult to do unless you had CHF barrels, which Colt did not. Or you could use a special, long tapered reamer.

The "silver ball" treatment (if it was used) would not produce a tapered bore.

Probably the secret of the python barrels was simply that they were very well made, and even most important, with a 1-14" twist rate that is faster than the 1-18 3/4 used by S&W and better with wadcutters.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A GB auction closed out today at MSRP, so it appears that the initial rush may be over.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

My son works at a local gun shop. Today was his first day back. About 10AM, he pings me with a pic of a 4.25” Python, they were asking MAP. I went to the shop this afternoon, it was still in the case, still in the wrapper. The shop has an indoor range. Long story short, I walked out with a slightly used, new production Python.

Very happy with it.

User Tag List