Page 125 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1318

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter
    I emailed VZ and they said the grips are not theirs. I cannot be the only person waiting for a factory Colt Python roundbutt? Maybe it’s time Colt looked back to their history and made pre 72 detective special style service grips for the python? Extend the wood enough below the frame to round the wood grips.[

ATTACH=CONFIG]112535[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back in mid-November, I had my new Python out at the range and had 5 out of 6 rounds in a single cylinder fail to fire. I loaded those five rounds into my LCR, and they all fired on the first pull. After speaking with a VERY nice lady at Colt CS, I had an RMA, and it was back at the mothership on the Wed before Thanksgiving - 22Nov23. On Monday I got shipping notification that it was on the way back to me, and FEDEX delivered it bright and early this morning, just in time for me to throw it on top of my other range crap and head off to shoot with my buddy.

Repair slip says they replaced the hammer link, adjusted the transfer bar plunger spring, and test fired for function and accuracy. The 15-yard target included is basically one ragged hole about the size of a quarter, sure wish they'd included information on what ammo they used to get that group!

WRT reliability, I ran about 100 rounds of my .38 special handloads through it - the ones loaded with CCI's super extra hard SPPs. Happy to report that every one of those rounds went off without issue, fired both single and double action. I am happy again!

Now if I could get out of my head the thought that what I REALLY need is a 3" instead of the 4.25", I'd be happier...
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 12-14-2023 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Now if I could get out of my head the thought that what I REALLY need is a 3" instead of the 4.25", I'd be happier...
    That’s my dilemma with nearly all revolver purchases. 🤷🏼

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    That’s my dilemma with nearly all revolver purchases. 🤷🏼
    And a lot of us here are happy with that state of affairs.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Im waiting to see if it translates over to 6" 19s....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Im waiting to see if it translates over to 6" 19s....
    I'm interested in the 4" I shouldn't be, I have 15s and 66s in that barrel length, but still....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I'm interested in the 4" I shouldn't be, I have 15s and 66s in that barrel length, but still....
    Yeah, the 4" would be good also, and is my favorite all around size on a 19. I happen to have a 6" barrel that fits a 19 I have, the original barrel has a somewhat wide BC gap, the 6" is about .003"
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I’m still trying to find time and ammunition to take my new to me 4.25” Python to the range. I did swap in a Wilson gold bead front to match the Wilson rear, and Hogue rubber grips until I find some Hogue wood. It feels incredible.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

A veritable fan club.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter

Python 2.5"

I picked up a 2.5” Python the other day. My first impressions are after 460 rounds of Precision Delta 148 grain wadcutter and 40 Underwood 150 grain wadcutter rounds.

Name:  IMG_1337.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  99.4 KB

Sights / Action: The revolver appears regulated for a six o’clock hold. There is light around the rear, so picking up the front sight was easy. I prefer fixed sights on combat revolvers, I have a set on order from D&L Sports and a Wilson fiber optic front sight. The target shows the first six shots, which were rapid-fire at 10 yards (I gave in to excitement). I haven’t measured groups. I’ll focus on accuracy when I put on the new sights. The action is smooth, the smoothest production trigger I’ve encountered in recent years. For perspective, replacing the springs and rebound slide on an S&W K/L revolver with TK Custom and Power Custom parts creates a better feeling action.

Name:  IMG_1334.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  24.5 KB

Grips / Backstrap / Trigger Face / Hammer: The grips are smaller than the 3” and larger Pythons. I have medium-sized hands. My finger lands on the trigger right at the first knuckle. I’m able to press straight back and not oversteer. The backstrap is too smooth. I think this causes my grip to move upward while firing. The trigger face is noticeably serrated. Colt should offer a smooth trigger and a bobbed hammer for this concealed carry-sized gun.

Fit / Finish: It looks well made, but I’m no expert. All the revolver metrics are correct. It’s a carry gun that won’t look the same in a few years. The ejector rod is full-size. Out of roughly 100 reloads (I did some ball and dummy drills), I had three occasions where a round did not extract. That’s on me because a light flick of the wrist finished the job. Speaking of ball and dummy, you do not develop a flinch using 148-grain wadcutters.

Carry: Went out for drinks and dinner last night with Mrs. H. The revolver was in an AIWB Kramer for six hours. Very comfortable. The 2.5” barrel falls where I want, and the butt isn’t tippy, and no discomfort bending or sitting. For me, a 41oz Python 2.5 is more comfortable to carry than compact polymer semiautomatics.

Name:  Holster.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  98.4 KB

Gunsmith Support / Parts: I’m finding outside support is limited. I spoke with two reputable gunsmiths about bobbing the hammer. They advised against bobbing, telling me it would void my warranty. Also, Colt won’t sell them parts. It appears parts are only available through Brownells. There’s not much there. If bobbing the hammer voids the warranty, I can only imagine what opening the side plate would do. @colt, for the record, I will never ever remove the side plate.

Special Thanks: A shout out to @willie, who told me the L-frame holsters I was trying to sell also fit Pythons. He was right. The Python fits the Kramer and JM Custom holsters I bought for the 2.5” S&W 986.

User Tag List