Page 49 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

One in my LGS this AM. $1600...It's still there. They'd probably ship if someone wants one that bad, PM me.

Inspired by JCN's mad science projects, I got to wondering if I could turn my Python into a 3 inch gun... I could and then I could laugh at your fancy French guns... I gotta hit the lottery first.

COLT PYTHON 3'' BLUE BARREL WITH RED FRONT SIGHT RAMP. LIKE NEW CONDITION - Custom Shop (customshopinc.com)

Site Supporter
    I remember about 15 years ago someone was closing out stainless 3” Python barrels for $60. Oh, for a time machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Inspired by JCN's mad science projects, I got to wondering if I could turn my Python into a 3 inch gun... I could and then I could laugh at your fancy French guns... I gotta hit the lottery first.

COLT PYTHON 3'' BLUE BARREL WITH RED FRONT SIGHT RAMP. LIKE NEW CONDITION - Custom Shop (customshopinc.com)
    It took a minute for that picture to load on my crappy internet. As it was loading I was thinking, "Just under $3K for a 3" Python? I thought they would go for more than that."

Then the picture loaded and I realized it was somewhat...

incomplete.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Cylinder getting stuck

Folks, forgive me if this is an elementary question. I just picked up a 4.25” Python (beautiful by the way). It’s my first revolver. Other than shooting a Colt SAA as a kid with my father, I’ve been a semi-auto guy.

I started with some double action dry fire, and soon encountered this: every ten or so trigger pulls (not at a particularly fast tempo) the cylinder sticks, the trigger is stuck. I manually move the cylinder and it is back to normal for awhile.

Is this user induced error? Is it to be expected? Is this a phenomenon that is not likely to occur when actually firing?
    Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

This is/was to be my farm/country toy. My tanker style holster is on the way. I won’t be EDC’ing this, but I also want to have trust in its reliability. Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Folks, forgive me if this is an elementary question. I just picked up a 4.25” Python (beautiful by the way). It’s my first revolver. Other than shooting a Colt SAA as a kid with my father, I’ve been a semi-auto guy.

I started with some double action dry fire, and soon encountered this: every ten or so trigger pulls (not at a particularly fast tempo) the cylinder sticks, the trigger is stuck. I manually move the cylinder and it is back to normal for awhile.

Is this user induced error? Is it to be expected? Is this a phenomenon that is not likely to occur when actually firing?
    Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

This is/was to be my farm/country toy. My tanker style holster is on the way. I won’t be EDC’ing this, but I also want to have trust in its reliability. Thanks, again.
    Check the side plate screw and make sure it's tight.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Check the side plate screw and make sure it's tight.
    Seems so? Trigger just has issues when the cylinder is engaged. Dry firing with cylinder open is flawless. Seems like the cylinder stop can drag or get hung up?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Are you using snap-caps?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Are you using snap-caps?
    Great question. No, however, according to this video from Colt I found on YouTube this evening, it’s safe not to.

Sent my sample of one back to the factory for repair. I assume that they will convey the nature of the defect and the fix when I get it back. I will share any helpful information I learn.

User Tag List