Page 98 of 132 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

I shelved my Pythons because of the sights. I know Kensight is/was working on a solution and I was waiting patiently. The Harrisons are an improvement of the bad design but still don't give any positive adjustment/feedback. I will get the Wilsons when I get caught up.

With these Wilsons, does that mean I have no reason not to get a Python if I've been wanting a 4" .357?

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    With these Wilsons, does that mean I have no reason not to get a Python if I've been wanting a 4" .357?

I've got a little over 1100 rounds through mine so far and the rear sight is my only issue. It took me a while to find grips I like but that's different for every person.

If I were nitpicking the only other thing I'd say is that the single action trigger sucks. Reportedly they needed it heavy to pass some tests to sell in MA and CA. I don't shoot in SA so I don't care. The DA pull is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    It's your decision, of course. We're happy to facilitate. The short answer is yes, I think with this new sight it's good to go. The long answer follows.

The best/most recent discussion of changes/improvements to the 2020 Python are at https://www.heffronprecision.com/blog and as of today it's at the top of the blog posts there. It's a long list of good things; but notice he carefully doesn't say anything about the sights.

I think the 2020 Python is a world-class revolver. Several of us way back, talking about the QA/QC fails of other revolver manufacturers, said we'd pay more for a quality alternative. Some of us even backed that up by spending money once it became an option. Except for the sights, I've been very happy with that decision.

My first impressions taking my 4-inch Python out of the box almost a year ago were basically wow, the fit and finish on this thing is amazing. The cylinder clicks back in place with a precision I've rarely seen in a revolver. With the trigger back, the lockup is solid. Almost everything was immediately very impressive. Almost.

My rear sight was loose out of the box. I tightened it, went to the range, and it walked left. Tightened it again, it walked left again. What's the point of a continuously adjustable rear sight if it needs Loctite to stay put? The set screw is so tiny that I just can't imagine it not stripping eventually. Mine turned out to be cross-threaded from the factory, Colt customer service was really good about replacing it and sent me a whole new rear sight. They said they were having a lot of problems with the sights, to the point that customer service had them right there by the phone so they could drop them in an envelope and send them with minimal effort. But then both of them were a sloppy fit, wiggled side to side, the entire sight base. That's an easy fix with a pair of vice grips as described elsewhere, but it shouldn't be necessary on a $1,500 revolver, or on any revolver for that matter.

The Harrison rear sight blade is better, and for range use I think it solves the problem with the added benefit of a taller front sight and a better sight picture (the OEM sight picture is OK, the Harrison sights are taller and have a little more light on each side).

For me, that didn't necessarily solve the carry issue. Maybe the bigger set screw would have been enough, but I would have wanted to test it first, make sure it didn't move. Less of a concern in town, but in the woods things can and do get banged around, and in the backcountry I often use a Hill People kit bag for carry so there is potentially a little pressure on the rear sight blade during random movements, and the lesser risk of banging into a branch or other object.

Obviously I don't have the Wilson sight in hand yet, one or more of us will share thoughts upon delivery I'm sure. it looks robust though and I fully expect it will be plenty rugged for woods carry. I have an order acknowledgement but not a shipping notice yet, so not sure when I'll be able to test it. At a minimum, it's a one screw solution for windage adjustments instead of two.

So if the Python meets your goals and is within budget and you can find one at or under MSRP, which isn't that hard most of the time now, there's no longer any excuse to wait. Kudos to Colt for building a functional work of industrial art. Shame on them for putting that toy rear sight on it. At least it's now an easy fix, and things will only get better as the aftermarket support grows. There are a lot of new Pythons on the street, which is incentive for the aftermarket.

My 3” Python today at a LE/Mil shoot we hold at Sig in Epping. This stage was six partially hard-cover obscured targets at ten yards. Fire one to each target, mandatory reload, fire one to each target SHO. A perfect revolver stage.

https://youtu.be/EUuwrcJIg2g

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    My 3” Python today at a LE/Mil shoot we hold at Sig in Epping. This stage was six partially hard-cover obscured targets at ten yards. Fire one to each target, mandatory reload, fire one to each target SHO. A perfect revolver stage.

https://youtu.be/EUuwrcJIg2g
    The stage builders up at bearcamp love to fuck with me. Always putting up 4 targets or 3 targets plus a steel.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post
    Any difficulties with the installation?

ETA: Sold out.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 11-09-2022 at 04:52 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Any difficulties with the installation?

ETA: Sold out.

No, install is super simple and fast. The hardest part was the .039 punch. I had to order one from Brownells. It's not a common punch size outside of gunsmith circled.

User Tag List