Page 75 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    After carrying a 4" 686 in a JMCK AIWB holster for a few days, I'm rethinking the 3" Python.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    In a negative or positive way?
    Negative. If I can carry a 4” tube relatively easily, why not?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

For some body types (like mine) a longer holster works much better for AIWB with a correct wedge. I find the 4.25 Python to carry like anything else i carry in AIWB- easy and comfortable- and personally have no use case for a 3”, but it’s great that the people who want one have the choice.

I carried my m19-3 for a year before I got my 2.75" 66. It's completely manageable. To include chilling on the couch.
    Name:  1533958836628475688062-636776.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  39.2 KB

Cutting an inch off made a noticable difference for comfort. I did the same thing with 1911s. A 5" govt aiwb is doable and really not that bad untill I started carrying a champion. I also don't find them to roll out with the shorter lever. They still seem to be long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I carried my m19-3 for a year before I got my 2.75" 66. It's completely manageable. To include chilling on the couch.
    Name:  1533958836628475688062-636776.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  39.2 KB

Cutting an inch off made a noticable difference for comfort. I did the same thing with 1911s. A 5" govt aiwb is doable and really not that bad untill I started carrying a champion. I also don't find them to roll out with the shorter lever. They still seem to be long enough.

I find the extra inch on my Python vs the 3-inch Ruger (both carried in the same JMCK George holster) has a tendency to poke the dangly bits. I just have to be mindful before I sit down when carrying the Colt, that seems to be the only issue with a 4-inch gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Meanwhile, the attempts at insane price gouging have begun…. people never fail to amaze me.
    I put that one on watch, because I'm curious as to what it will end up selling for.

Yesterday I put another 50 rounds through the Python, had intended to do more than that but half the time at the range was spent talking to other shooters, many of whom hadn't actually seen a 2020 Python yet.

The rear sight walked a little left again. Pretty sure I know why, more on that after verifying. I hadn't really noticed at 25 yards, but then aiming six at the 200 yard steel... I hit the plate to the left of the one being aimed at, and there was no wind. Back to 25, sure enough it was a couple inches left and the convenient dots on the rear sight showed that it had drifted just a little.

Today I went exploring. The photos below are of the disassembled rear sight blade. The L-shaped blade goes in a channel in the sight base, the screw rests loosely in a pair of small cuts, and the end of the finely threaded screw goes into the far end of the sight. Then the set screw is supposed to hold the whole thing in place. That seems to be pretty delicate. Holding it next to a Bowen Rough Country rear sight for my GP100 just now only emphasizes that feeling.

This is an otherwise well designed and good quality revolver with a really lame rear sight design. According to folks on the Colt forum the rear sights are jobbed out by Colt. After seeing how it's held together, it's probably fine for range use where I can keep a .050 allen in my range bag. I can't trust this rear sight in the wilderness though. If the set screw lets loose, the rear blade walks all over the place. I'd really rather not find that out at the wrong time and when I'm 20 miles from the nearest road.

Colt is selling a lot of Pythons, and that's a good thing. Now how do we convince someone to design and build a robust aftermarket rear sight assembly upgrade? That's currently the only thing in the way of happiness.

Name:  IMG_4368.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4369.jpg
Size:  25.4 KB
    Last edited by Salamander; 01-15-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Yesterday I put another 50 rounds through the Python, had intended to do more than that but half the time at the range was spent talking to other shooters, many of whom hadn't actually seen a 2020 Python yet.

The rear sight walked a little left again. Pretty sure I know why, more on that after verifying. I hadn't really noticed at 25 yards, but then aiming six at the 200 yard steel... I hit the plate to the left of the one being aimed at, and there was no wind. Back to 25, sure enough it was a couple inches left and the convenient dots on the rear sight showed that it had drifted just a little.

Today I went exploring. The photos below are of the disassembled rear sight blade. The L-shaped blade goes in a channel in the sight base, the screw rests loosely in a pair of small cuts, and the end of the finely threaded screw goes into the far end of the sight. Then the set screw is supposed to hold the whole thing in place. That seems to be pretty delicate. Holding it next to a Bowen Rough Country rear sight for my GP100 just now only emphasizes that feeling.

This is an otherwise well designed and good quality revolver with a really lame rear sight design. According to folks on the Colt forum the rear sights are jobbed out by Colt. After seeing how it's held together, it's probably fine for range use where I can keep a .050 allen in my range bag. I can't trust this rear sight in the wilderness though. If the set screw lets loose, the rear blade walks all over the place. I'd really rather not find that out at the wrong time and when I'm 20 miles from the nearest road.

Colt is selling a lot of Pythons, and that's a good thing. Now how do we convince someone to design and build a robust aftermarket rear sight assembly upgrade? That's currently the only thing in the way of happiness.

Name:  IMG_4368.jpg
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4369.jpg
Size:  25.4 KB

I would love a Bowen sight or equivalent but until then a drop of purple loc-tite on the set screw will keep it in place. I haven't shot mine loose and I check it periodically.

I wonder if the older sights will fit the new guns? I think the older ones had better windage adjustment, the older Acros and perhaps Elliasons. Numrich has them in stock, price isnt too bad.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

For those of us who shot Pythons seriously back in the day, Elliasons were the ticket.

Slightly more coarse in adjustment than BoMars but good enough, and legal for NRA PPC under the rules of the day because they were a factory option.

Elliasons didn't get a good reputation on Gold Cups, perhaps because of the stress of the slide rocketing back and forth with every shot, but .357 Magnum recoil on the fixed frame of a revolver didn't change zero at all.

I had an Elliason on a 1968 production National Match (gun was marked National Match, the box said Gold Cup), I liked the sight, and had no trouble with it, though I probably only shot a few thousand rds through it. No issues with adjustment changing in any event.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List