Page 28 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Meanwhile, Friendly Local Gun Store has a 6" stainless Python in the used cabinet, with factory box, $2699.99.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    This guy has been posting numerous Colt Python videos and finally got his - experiencing light primer strikers and cylinder not turning on trigger pull:

He has cheap Philippine ammo-Armscor, Italian-Fiocchi and PMC-South Korean ammo. It shoots the Fiocchi and PMC fine from what I saw, yet he can't figure out why it only light strikes on Armscor then proceeds to blame the gun. I'd hardly call the gun defective here.

Fiocchi primers are known to be pretty hard, I'd actually expect a light strike now and then from them. My comment to him would be, put some Win, Fed, CCI and Rem through it and see what happens. IF it's light striking on those I'd call up Colt...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    He has cheap Philippine ammo-Armscor, Italian-Fiocchi and PMC-South Korean ammo. It shoots the Fiocchi and PMC fine from what I saw, yet he can't figure out why it only light strikes on Armscor then proceeds to blame the gun. I'd hardly call the gun defective here.

Fiocchi primers are known to be pretty hard, I'd actually expect a light strike now and then from them. My comment to him would be, put some Win, Fed, CCI and Rem through it and see what happens. IF it's light striking on those I'd call up Colt...
    I skip watched but it looked like it was more than Armscor that was lightstriking. He also said the cylinder was at times not carrying-up when he pulled the trigger.
    Last edited by Wingate's Hairbrush; 01-11-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Looks like the initial reports of factory supplied muzzle damage are legit; Colt rep on Colt forum has acknowledged improper mounting when polishing is the cause. Colt will rectify...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

All of this just reinforces my policy of never buying anything from the first year of production. However, I'm glad some have no patience. I haven't seen anything yet that would indicate a serious design flaw in the new action, just lack of attention to detail on the part of Colt, as well as a few Youtubers who have little knowledge or experience in running a wheelgun. None of this is surprising or unfixable. The former is the industry standard these days and the latter is a sign of the times. What I want to see is someone who can tell me how this new Python is demonstrably better than a S&W or a Ruger costing half as much. I liked Magnum Force but I hated Rick Grimes, so cache only goes so far.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-11-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    I skip watched but it looked like it was more than Armscor that was lightstriking. He also said the cylinder was at times not carrying-up when he pulled the trigger.
    I was skip watching it too, I just wanted to know what ammo he was stuffing in it, and to see it go bang or not without all the jabbering. I did see one PMC that didn't go and it never did, so that may have been a bad round which he alluded to also.

In my experience, and as just a general observation, foreign made primers are just harder than USA made primers. Wolf, Tula, Fiocchi, S&B, all of them that I've used. They are also not as consistent in firing, I was getting about a 1-2% failure rate with Wolf and Tula when I was using them. Those just wouldn't fire at all. I quit using imported primers because none of them run as smooth in my Dillon's primer feed. American primers have always ran smoother and were more reliable than imported for me.

I'd just like to see some quality USA made ammo fail before I bash on Colt because that's probably what it's setup to run. S&W and Ruger over spring their guns for a "reliability safety factor" and always have, so I think that Colt may have been going for a lighter DA action to maintain the Python's reputation.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    All of this just reinforces my policy of never buying anything from the first year of production. However, I'm glad some have no patience. I haven't seen anything yet that would indicate a serious design flaw in the new action, just lack of attention to detail on the part of Colt, as well as a few Youtubers who have little knowledge or experience in running a wheelgun. None of this is surprising or unfixable. The former is the industry standard these days and the latter is a sign of the times. What I want to see is someone who can tell me how this new Python is demonstrably better than a S&W or a Ruger costing half as much. I liked Magnum Force but I hated Rick Grimes, so cache only goes so far.
    What impresses me is that there is now a Colt factory presence on the Colt Forum. They seem to realize that their reputation is on the line and they seem to be committed to making their guns right. Some of the new ones had dinged crowns that, according to Colt, was a byproduct of how the guns were fixtured for polishing. They've changed that procedure.

I'm trying to think of any other time I've read a forum posting by a gun company itself. Lots by people who have (or claimed to have) inside information, but the maker itself?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What impresses me is that there is now a Colt factory presence on the Colt Forum. They seem to realize that their reputation is on the line and they seem to be committed to making their guns right. Some of the new ones had dinged crowns that, according to Colt, was a byproduct of how the guns were fixtured for polishing. They've changed that procedure.

I'm trying to think of any other time I've read a forum posting by a gun company itself. Lots by people who have (or claimed to have) inside information, but the maker itself?
    One of our P-F members works for Beretta and posts in the Semi-auto forum. It is good to hear that Colt has a factory presence on the Colt forum.

I'm with you on that point. I don't see any of the mentioned problems as indicative of Colt, but rather the manufacturing world as a whole. Give it a year or so and I'll probably get one myself. I have a set of custom birdseye maple grips that would look bonkers on that gun.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Colt, Dan Wesson, Beretta, STI, Wilson Combat, Guncrafter, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and others I’m sure I’m forgetting, all have a presence on various forums.

User Tag List