Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132
Results 1,311 to 1,318 of 1318

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter

Python 2.5" Update

After 1600 rounds, I now have my 2.5” Python sorted. The gun is carried AIWB and IWB. Ideal holsters for me are a Kramer IWB or a JM Custom Kydex riding on an Enigma carrier. Carry ammo Underwood 150-grain wadcutters and Barnes 125-grain TAC-XPD.

It took time because I mixed-matched front sights with my D&L Sports fixed rear sight. The fronts I tried included Wilson fiber optic, OEM brass, OEM night, and OEM fiber optic. All of those were too short for the D&L rear. When I bought D&L’s rear sight, I didn’t know Dave made a matching front sight. D&L’s front and rear combo provide a big picture using target focus, which suits my use case perfectly.

As for grips, I find hand-to-grip fit most affects accuracy, so I tried a “few.” All the grips I tried were excellent, but one stood out. I first tried Eagle Grips’ Secret Service Grips, which were on the gun in my original post. I wouldn’t say I liked how the short grip caused my pinky to hang off the butt. They have great texture and are easy to conceal. They worked with Underwood’s hotter wadcutters but made controlling magnum recoil difficult. I then tried Deer Hollow’s Service Grip paired with a BK Grips adapter (pic one below). I’m a lefty. This setup had me pushing shots right and overcorrecting for magnum recoil. I then tried Deer Hollow’s Colt Python 2nd Generation Grips. They work great, allow for a very comfortable two-hand grip, and work well for managing recoil. The only problem is that they are too big for AIWB. I put them on my 3” Python Combat Elite. I will write about that gun in the future.

Name:  IMG_1554.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  62.0 KB

Badger Custom Grips makes the best grips for me on the 2.5” Python. Picture 2 shows Badger’s full-size Python Grip in Black and White Ebony. The raised bottom groove and notch created a gap between my pinky and ring finger, weakening my grip.

Name:  IMG_1556.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  56.0 KB

Here’s where a massive SHOUTOUT TO BADGER CUSTOM GRIPS comes in. Badger had me send the grips back to fix the problem. Their solution, based on my use case, was to cut the grip just below the butt frame (pic 3). For me, this provides a full-finger grip that easily conceals AIWB.

Name:  IMG_1606.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  76.6 KB

I prefer the 2.5” over the 3” Combat Elite, but that could change as I sort out the 3”. I like D&L’s fixed sights better than the Wilson’s (target rear/gold front) that I put on the 3”. They are both shooters who have no problem eating anything they’re fed.

Not had opportunity to handle. Is the 2.5 & 3 inch ejector rod same length? Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Not had the opportunity to handle. Is the 2.5 & 3 inch ejector rod same length? Thanks.
    They are the same length as measured by calipers, which makes sense considering modern manufacturing practices. My Cobra's .38 cylinder will chamber .357s. The only difference between a King Cobra and a Cobra might be the thicker top strap—another example of standardization within product lines.

Anybody have recommendations for holsters for the five-inch Pythons? Thanks!
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Holster that fit S&W L frames will fit a Python nicely.

Simply Rugged has a few listed for 5” GP100s and L frames

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I'd try Privateer Leather.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I would second Privateer, also TT Leather and Ryan Grizzle, three leather holster makers with reasonable delivery times by current standards, who understand carrying a revolver. The work I have received from all those guys is excellent. Not sure if they have the 5" pattern yet but good ones to ask about it.
    Last edited by fatdog; 04-19-2024 at 05:21 PM.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List