Page 33 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Gimme that ol' soft shoe.....

And yet TFB said the one they examined at SHOT malfed at the same range where the video guy for the American Rifleman couldn't such up harder if he had a cordless Dyson. No offense to anyone who gets a check from the American Rifleman, but they're not exactly known to be hard on advertisers.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

And yet TFB said the one they examined at SHOT malfed at the same range where the video guy for the American Rifleman couldn't such up harder if he had a cordless Dyson. No offense to anyone who gets a check from the American Rifleman, but they're not exactly known to be hard on advertisers.
    HOWEVER, the TFB Python video doesn’t mention the issues that the TFB article did.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Isn't this what has been pretty much predicted over the past number of years whenever the Python resurrection was suggested?
    Well, I did always maintain that Colt should leave the Python in the past, since they'd undoubtedly FUBAR it up. I guess RevolverRob and I are quite prescient.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-21-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Remember when AR was the go-to source for a definitive product review?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Remember when AR was the go-to source for a definitive product review?
    Mostly I remember "acceptable combat accuracy if I do my part" and a suspicious correlation between the sizes of the ads and the enthusiasm of the reviews.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Isn't this what has been pretty much predicted over the past number of years whenever the Python resurrection was suggested?
    I think most people were concerned that the fit and finish would be at a much lower standard, not that Colt would ship revolvers that didn't, you know... REVOLVE.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think most people were concerned that the fit and finish would be at a much lower standard, not that Colt would ship revolvers that didn't, you know... REVOLVE.
    To be fair, after I read the TFB article - I can see where the mistake was made in the process. The hand is machine measured, cut to size, and machine fit. Minimal operator influence.

If I were a betting man - the CNC reference measurements got off somehow. I’ve seen that happen (and done it myself) a few times with the CNC chuck in our CT scanner here. You can override the reference points. A big change would be pretty easy to catch, but a small change that is more or less within the design specifications wouldn’t be as easy. The computer probably even caught it, but the tech overrode it.

Could be something else, like the material thickness of the steel used in the hands changed, but were never re-referenced in the hand fitting CNC.

Regardless, this is something that tight QC and QA could have caught.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Must not be a very nice one. What would another $800 of quality revolversmithing and custom grips do for it?

Yeah, well, it’s nice enough. Trigger is sweet. I don’t have an urge to let anyone smith on it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Some guy on the Colt Forum has gotten his hands on a 4.25" Python.

(I still want one.)

Some guy on the Colt Forum has gotten his hands on a 4.25" Python.

(I still want one.)
    Me too.

It's getting harder and harder to go through my self imposed year of waiting to see how the gun really shakes out.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List