Page 29 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Meanwhile, Friendly Local Gun Store has a 6" stainless Python in the used cabinet, with factory box, $2699.99.
    Dude. There were 2 in my LGS cabinet today: One 6" with box 3200 and a 4" no box, pachmayer grips 2500...

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Looks like the initial reports of factory supplied muzzle damage are legit; Colt rep on Colt forum has acknowledged improper mounting when polishing is the cause. Colt will rectify...
    I am now reading that the Colt rep on the Colt forum may be an imposter. I have no idea why someone would go to that trouble, but hopefully Colt will actually get things sorted out in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    I am now reading that the Colt rep on the Colt forum may be an imposter. I have no idea why someone would go to that trouble, but hopefully Colt will actually get things sorted out in due time.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    LOL. Yep, apparently so. This is getting more fun by the day.

The current story is the rep's a fake but his info was good; this from a member there who's on a few forums and claims to have the inside track on the new Python.

Good times. Still quietly waiting for the 4.25" in DLC with the kinks worked out. The rest is just entertainment...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    He has cheap Philippine ammo-Armscor, Italian-Fiocchi and PMC-South Korean ammo. It shoots the Fiocchi and PMC fine from what I saw, yet he can't figure out why it only light strikes on Armscor then proceeds to blame the gun. I'd hardly call the gun defective here.

Fiocchi primers are known to be pretty hard, I'd actually expect a light strike now and then from them. My comment to him would be, put some Win, Fed, CCI and Rem through it and see what happens. IF it's light striking on those I'd call up Colt...
    He put out a follow up video and addressed some of these criticisms mentioned above and in his comments section by demonstrating that he was not short stroking the trigger:

I wanted to write him off originally as using bad ammo (and because he sounds like a stereotypical redneck) but he used a variety of brands that are common on store shelves and worked fine in his other revolvers. I don't think Colt gets a pass on this one. Who wants a revolver that only works with a narrow range of ammo? We would never give a semi-auto pistol a pass that didn't work with these brands, why a revolver?

If Colt designed their gun to only work with certain types of ammo and certain primers, they should state it publicly.

Of course this is just one data point but I would be as disheartened as he is if I bought the gun and had the same issues. As others have stated in this thread, I think it is best to wait awhile for Colt to get this worked out (and to hire some more people to answer the phones and deal with support issues).

Another data point - Hickok does some shooting with a 6inch model in this vid:

Last edited by FPS; 01-12-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    He put out a follow up video and addressed some of these criticisms mentioned above and in his comments section by demonstrating that he was not short stroking the trigger:
    Haven't watched either video yet, but I know for certain I can get both my 1978 vintage Python and older DS to not rotate the cylinder by short stroking it and they are both pristine, unbroken and no appreciable wear. I'd bet he's short stroking it.

As for his ammo, he stated it was what he could get at the time. It was also 100% imported ammo. Like I said, I'd like to see what the big 4 American company's ammo did in it.

Hickok45 shot another video with the 2020 Python, and said the cylinder quit turning:
    Last edited by FrankB; 01-12-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Hickok45 shot another video with the 2020 Python, and said the cylinder quit turning:
    Well after watching this one, I had to go dig mine out of the safe. Both of my Colts will fail to index the cylinder if short stroked. As a matter of fact, you can return the trigger about to the 3/4 to 7/8 point and and pull again repeatedly and they will not rotate the cylinder. But.........The hammers are only moving a little bit when doing this. Not a 2nd strike at all like in this video. Shitballs....

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I was really hoping Colt wouldn't fark up the rollout of these, but it appears they have done just that.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 01-12-2020 at 11:24 PM.

I swear gun companies ought to know better than to go into production with this level of issues in this day and age. It ain’t 1990 anymore when the writer at Guns and Ammo was the only review source. Video reviews abound these days and if you screw the pooch, the word is gonna be out there, fast.

So here we have Colt trying to bring back one of the most storied names from their past. It’s clear they’re having issues, maybe tolerance stacking, maybe assembly related, who knows. Still, they should have had this better sorted before launch. IMO, they’ve got lots of egg on their faces now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I swear gun companies ought to know better than to go into production with this level of issues in this day and age. It ain’t 1990 anymore when the writer at Guns and Ammo was the only review source. Video reviews abound these days and if you screw the pooch, the word is gonna be out there, fast.

So here we have Colt trying to bring back one of the most storied names from their past. It’s clear they’re having issues, maybe tolerance stacking, maybe assembly related, who knows. Still, they should have had this better sorted before launch. IMO, they’ve got lots of egg on their faces now.
    One would think. Especially when they have been working on it for 5 years and have one with over 50k rounds in testing.

User Tag List