Page 94 of 132 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have the open back Pachs with the finger grooves removed on my 3 inch which seems to be the best I can do for trigger reach, I have short stubby fingers on xl hands. The closed backs work but puts the reach at maximum I can do.

I have a set of Rogers that I haven't been able to bring myself to removing the finger grooves, yet, that may be even better.

Rogers grips

What did you do to remove the finger grooves? I'm worried that I'll just end up tearing up the rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post
    What did you do to remove the finger grooves? I'm worried that I'll just end up tearing up the rubber.
    Put the grips in the freezer over night and use a Dremel with a sanding drum for bulk removal. I use course and fine emery boards for the finish details. The material sands very well. You may hit a small void under the swells and if you do you can fill them with black RTV wen you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post
    I reshaped some rubber Hogue Bantams for K frame. I didnt like how deep the filler was behind the trigger guard, after doing that, the finger grooves were in the wrong spot.... a medium half round wood file/rasp did most of it, an emory board for finer finish. I may have used a chain saw file for part as well, but dont recall. Im not particularly finicky about finish, at least on carry stuff, so thats all the further the finishing went, but it was a huge improvement to feel. The freezer trick may help with final finish but didnt seem to be required for basic shaping.

Name:  10 project 9.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  105.2 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I reshaped some rubber Hogue Bantams for K frame. I didnt like how deep the filler was behind the trigger guard, after doing that, the finger grooves were in the wrong spot.... a medium half round wood file/rasp did most of it, an emory board for finer finish. I may have used a chain saw file for part as well, but dont recall. Im not particularly finicky about finish, at least on carry stuff, so thats all the further the finishing went, but it was a huge improvement to feel. The freezer trick may help with final finish but didnt seem to be required for basic shaping.

Name:  10 project 9.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  105.2 KB
    I agree when using files and emery boards that the freezer is not necessary but it makes a difference when using high speed rotary tools. I have done several sets now with and without using the freezer and while its not necessary, a cold grip is less likely to over heat and make a mistake on. I've had an oops or 3.

^^^ Makes sense. I havent used power tools yet on grips. Im able to make plenty of mistakes in slow motion.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Rogers grips

While we are on the subject, Do these Rogers grips have any significance? (my gut says, no) I paid 15 bucks or so after digging them out of a box at an old gun store so I don't have much in them. I want to start by opening up the top finger groove a bit and slowly reshape these into something more friendly. I don't want to FUBAR these if they are something special. Thought I would ask first.

Site Supporter
    While we are on the subject, Do these Rogers grips have any significance? (my gut says, no) I paid 15 bucks or so after digging them out of a box at an old gun store so I don't have much in them. I want to start by opening up the top finger groove a bit and slowly reshape these into something more friendly. I don't want to FUBAR these if they are something special. Thought I would ask first.
    They're pretty sought after by folks into revolvers of the end of the LE revolver era. Check on fleabay and see what they're going for.

Hogue lists a polymer grip for the 2020 Python. Might be easier to reshape than rubber.

A few more thoughts on the 2020 Python after a short range trip tonight:

The goal was a little different this time. Over the weekend I scored seven pounds of Bullseye at a really good price, it came from a respected local shooters estate but had been open for a probably short but unknown duration. So this was mostly a verification, loaded up 50 rounds of HBWC with that powder. I almost always shoot revolvers double action but this time was looking for consistency so tried some single action for a change. The powder is fine... along with a little more of it that I already had, I figure there's enough for at least 17,500 rounds of HBWC and now all I need is about another 13,000 small pistol primers to go with it... but that's another story.

Anyway, here are a few takeaways from tonight.

- The fast 1:14 twist Colt barrel does nice things with hollow base wadcutters. Nice clean holes, 1 5/8 to 2 1/4 inch groups at 15 yards freehand. For me, that's currently pretty good. None of the slightly out of round holes that I sometimes see from slower twist barrels.

- The Python likes 148gr HBWC better than almost anything else I've tried in it. Which is good, I've been at this long enough to be over more than occasional heavy recoil, and these are really pleasant to shoot in a heavy revolver.

- My single action pull is fairly crisp, none of the creep that some others have mentioned. It's still heavy for a single action pull, allegedly that's to pass the CA drop test. I didn't realize how heavy until I put a few 22LR through an old K-22 at the end of the evening, which has a really light SA pull. The Python heavy SA often resulted in a nice tight group with one flyer, most of those 2 1/4 inch groups are smaller if that flyer is excluded, and those are I think usually because of the heavier pull. My fault but still.

- On the other hand, I like the DA pull on the Python better than on the S&W, even on that 1950s K-22. The Python DA trigger pull is relatively short, light, and smooth (mine is in the 7-8 lb range, lighter than reported for some others from the factory) and feels only a little heavier than the SA pull which I think is around 5 lbs.

- The Harrison sights contributed to the performance, they're taller than OEM and with a bit more daylight on the sides. And they're a ton better then the old 1950's S&W sights, as with most older revolvers those are relatively short. Only one drawback: I forgot to bring my .050 Allen, which meant that I was unable to adjust the sights when POI was about an inch left of center. One more thing to make me annoyed with whoever at Colt thought the set screw rear sight design was a good idea. At least the Harrison blade doesn't wander.

- I'm tempted to send this revolver off for trigger work and make it a dedicated HBWC range gun. That could make it way more fun to use up all that powder.
    Last edited by Salamander; 09-20-2022 at 01:20 AM.

This is worth 56 seconds of your time. 🤣💥

User Tag List