Page 78 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So… purple locktite or blue locktite on the set screw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Either blue or purple will work fine so long as you use it extremely sparingly (grain of sand size drop/particle). The fastener is so small, it doesn’t matter enough to matter. Again, a correctly made, good condition hex key is absolutely the most important requirement.
    Clear nail polish ought to be viable.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Clear nail polish ought to be viable.
    Very likely so.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    My experience so far is that the sights could be better. In my opinion, the rear notch is a bit shallow and the front is a bit short. A flat faced rear, like the Elliason or Bowen would be a huge improvement.
    A Dawson Fiber Optic set would be cool too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    A Dawson Fiber Optic set would be cool too.
    See post # 733.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It’s a significant purchase after dropping over $800 on a gun that still isn’t right.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Is that the M66?
    Yep. I hope to have it back in a few weeks. Maybe then I can make a range trip that doesn’t result in a trip back to the mothership.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Yep. I hope to have it back in a few weeks. Maybe then I can make a range trip that doesn’t result in a trip back to the mothership.
    Maybe that's the Ghost of Bill Jordan telling you to get the Python?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Maybe that's the Ghost of Bill Jordan telling you to get the Python?
    Wasn’t the Model 19 his baby? So a 66 would be his niece? Grandkid?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I waited to talk to talk to Colt's customer service before posting this, what with holidays, Omicron, and bad weather on the east coast that took a couple tries but got through today and am just off the phone with them. Just had an excellent experience, which perhaps will nudge a couple of you off the fence; if there is any issue, all indications are that they will take care of it immediately.

My rear sight saga was a bit more complicated than what Locktite can fix. I mentioned earlier that out of the box the set screw was loose and that I tightened it at the range, and that it still walked slightly left after that. The rest of the story is that it happened because the set screw never completely bottomed out. Then when I tried to adjust it again at home, it would barely move in either direction. Obviously I can't see inside there even though I was easily able to remove the windage screw and sight blade, but educated guess is that there was some imperfection in the lower part of the threads and the set screw got jammed in there. I can say that the hole is slightly off center in the dimple. So maybe I got the first one made on a Monday morning. The sight blade lower leg is also only 0.80 thick so there's not a lot of room for threads in there and as a result that set screw is awfully small and not very long.

Anyway Colt's is sending me out a new rear sight, the customer service rep said he had it in his hand and would be shipping it out end of today.

I also had a really good talk with Mike Heffron heffronprecision@outlook.com on Monday, who was mentioned upthread. Having been around revolvers my entire adult life but being relatively new to Colt revolvers, I learned a lot from him and he shared knowledge freely. Now both of us are harrassing Kensight and others to offer a more rugged alternative to the OEM sight, which apparently was intended to mimic a much older design and be continuously adjustable for windage. As suspected, great for the range at least for the 2% who can shoot bullseye well enough to take full advantage, maybe not as optimal for rugged use. If there are really 70,000 Pythons already on the street plus some Anaconda's and King Cobra Target's using the same rear sight, it's just a matter of when we'll have aftermarket alternatives to cover a variety of preferences and end uses.

From what I gathered on the call today, the rear sight is being a bit of a problem child on a revolver that's otherwise of phenomenal quality. It was made clear that I wasn't the only one getting a new sight. If they're this willing to support the product then I'll support them even more than I already had been.

In the meantime as Archer mentioned above, use a good quality 0.50 allen wrench to adjust the set screw. That's important. Mike says he also took a small file to the bottom of his set screw to flatten it and get more contact surface, that's not easy to do on something that small and I haven't tried it yet, the trick is to hold it steady. Might be easier to do while it's in the blade and projecting out the bottom a bit, since that's at least big enough to grab and has flat ends that can go in a small vise, but again I haven't tried yet. The blade is really easy to get in and out of the sight base via the windage screw and there are no surprises in there. Different story if you take the entire sight off, there's a micro ball bearing under the elevation screw which is reportedly real easy to lose.
    Last edited by Salamander; 01-19-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    I waited to talk to talk to Colt's customer service before posting this, what with holidays, Omicron, and bad weather on the east coast that took a couple tries but got through today and am just off the phone with them. Just had an excellent experience, which perhaps will nudge a couple of you off the fence; if there is any issue, all indications are that they will take care of it immediately.

My rear sight saga was a bit more complicated than what Locktite can fix. I mentioned earlier that out of the box the set screw was loose and that I tightened it at the range, and that it still walked slightly left after that. The rest of the story is that it happened because the set screw never completely bottomed out. Then when I tried to adjust it again at home, it would barely move in either direction. Obviously I can't see inside there even though I was easily able to remove the windage screw and sight blade, but educated guess is that there was some imperfection in the lower part of the threads and the set screw got jammed in there. I can say that the hole is slightly off center in the dimple. So maybe I got the first one made on a Monday morning. The sight blade lower leg is also only 0.80 thick so there's not a lot of room for threads in there and as a result that set screw is awfully small and not very long.

Anyway Colt's is sending me out a new rear sight, the customer service rep said he had it in his hand and would be shipping it out end of today.

I also had a really good talk with Mike Heffron heffronprecision@outlook.com on Monday, who was mentioned upthread. Having been around revolvers my entire adult life but being relatively new to Colt revolvers, I learned a lot from him and he shared knowledge freely. Now both of us are harrassing Kensight and others to offer a more rugged alternative to the OEM sight, which apparently was intended to mimic a much older design and be continuously adjustable for windage. As suspected, great for the range at least for the 2% who can shoot bullseye well enough to take full advantage, maybe not as optimal for rugged use. If there are really 70,000 Pythons already on the street plus some Anaconda's and King Cobra Target's using the same rear sight, it's just a matter of when we'll have aftermarket alternatives to cover a variety of preferences and end uses.

From what I gathered on the call today, the rear sight is being a bit of a problem child on a revolver that's otherwise of phenomenal quality. It was made clear that I wasn't the only one getting a new sight. If they're this willing to support the product then I'll support them even more than I already had been.

In the meantime as Archer mentioned above, use a good quality 0.50 allen wrench to adjust the set screw. That's important. Mike says he also took a small file to the bottom of his set screw to flatten it and get more contact surface, that's not easy to do on something that small and I haven't tried it yet, the trick is to hold it steady. Might be easier to do while it's in the blade and projecting out the bottom a bit, since that's at least big enough to grab and has flat ends that can go in a small vise, but again I haven't tried yet. The blade is really easy to get in and out of the sight base via the windage screw and there are no surprises in there. Different story if you take the entire sight off, there's a micro ball bearing under the elevation screw which is reportedly real easy to lose.
    I have asked both Kensight and Bowen about replacements. Neither expressed interest.

Wasn’t the Model 19 his baby? So a 66 would be his niece? Grandkid?
    It's intended as a joke- S&W revolver QC is beginning to suck enough that even Bill Jordan would probably go with a Colt.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List