Page 126 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1318

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter
    My spelling may be off, but Heffron Precision repairs Colts. Too, they have mastered working on the new Colts. We have a thread in this section about their work. Frank Glenn in Arizona has an expert's reputation. Outpost75 here owns and shoots the older Colts and can point out competent smiths.

I have noted variation among the new Colts. All are good, but some are outstanding. If I had a great specimen, I damn sure would not send it back to Colt unless I was making a giant warranty claim. The older Colts were like the old Harley's. Colt outdid themselves on engineering the new ones.

If I were a general gunsmith, I would not remove a Python's hammer spur out of fear that the gun might not "work" afterwards. I would be opening a giant can of worms. Colt would not sell me a new hammer and might charge somebody $250 or more to replace it at the factory. Am I saying the gun would not work after this modification? No.

Cutting hammer spurs is a giant error unless the smith also deletes the single action notch on the hammer. Otherwise, a dummy can cock the action but then can't let the hammer down if they decide not to shoot.

Altering high grade revolvers reduces their value. If I were younger and bought a new Python to carry, I would determine if the weapon was put together right. If so, I would pay an expert to alter it as I saw fit. I would not fret about resale value.
    Last edited by willie; 12-15-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    My python with stag grips and my new Kramer holsters
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Site Supporter

Python 2.5" New Sights

I installed the D&L Sports fixed rear sight and Wilson fiber optic front. They are an excellent match for a combat handgun. The stock rear sight is pinned along with screwed in. D&L's only attaches with a screw. Dave thinks the single screw will be OK. He does give you a few options for additional screws. I took a different route and used Loctite R-638 to secure the front and rear sights along with the supplied screws. I had good luck with it on the front sight of a 986. I decided on Underwood .38 special, 150-grain wadcutter for carry. In my Python, they feel like .32 shorts in an LCR. The Python feels heavier and more refined than a GP-100 and any K/L frame Smith. The target shows 20 of the Underwoods, fifteen at 10 yards, and five at 15 yards. The next change will be grips. Because the gun conceals so well AIWB, I do not want any grip that extends past the butt. 2.5" Python grips are shorter than on the 3" and larger models, which extend below the butt. I ordered a set of Eagle grips and am looking for stag grips. I like the gun so much that I bought a King Cobra Target in .22 yesterday. I popped off 500 fun rounds with it this morning. I will keep my fingers crossed that Colt's QC is long-term.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  57.2 KB

(Sorry about the cat hair on the sight).

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  25.6 KB
    Last edited by Hideeho; 12-24-2023 at 01:52 PM.

Site Supporter

Eagle Grips for the Python

I bought a set of Eagle grips for the Python. My grip kept moving up the backstrap while firing with the OEM Service Grip, which sometimes blocked the hammer’s rearward movement. Ideally, a Tyler T-Grip would solve the problem because of the increase in front-to-back grip geometry. But they seemed to be hard to find, so I looked for a grip that would increase front-to-back geometry and not extend past the butt frame. The Eagle Grips do both.

I tested the grips, firing 100 rounds of assorted ammo, including Underwood .38 Special, 150-grain wadcutter (my carry ammo), Precision Delta .38 Special, 148-grain wadcutter range ammo, Underwood 357 Magnum, 180-grain 357 flat nose, Buffalo Bore 357 Magnum, 158-grain Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil Low Flash, and Barnes 357 Magnum, 140-grain VOR-TX.

The Good: My grip stayed locked throughout the firing. The front-to-back geometry, finger grooves, and Eagle Reactiv checkering all played a part in a solid grip. The grip not extending past the frame is another plus. I was in an NPE for two days this week without anyone noticing. There is much to be said for revolver concealability when no one spots you wearing a 41-ounce Python monster.

The Bad: My pinky did not sit entirely on the grip. It hung slightly off, but I could still apply pressure with my pinky to control the gun. It did sit on the OEM Service Grip shown in previous pictures. A two-handed grip that applies pressure to the pinky and front strap makes up for the bad.

The Ugly: The screw and fitment are gold. Aesthetically, silver would be better. It’s a minor nit that I probably won’t notice months later.

Overall: The grips do what I want. They help lock the grip and are very concealable. As for the grip color, I lived in Nebraska for ten years. GBR.

Name:  IMG_1491.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  100.3 KB

@Hideeho, how is the extraction on the 2.5” Python? Can you clear .38s when pushing the ejector all the way in?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    @Hideeho, how is the extraction on the 2.5” Python? Can you clear .38s when pushing the ejector all the way in?
    Extraction is not a problem. It's a full-size ejector rod. Loading cylinders is also easy. I have no issues loading Comp II speed loaders with Underwood wadcutters or any brand wadcutter in speed strips.

Colt has supposedly announced they’re going to release Royal Blue Pythons.

Last edited by FrankB; 01-22-2024 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Colt has supposedly announced they’re going to release Royal Blue Pythons.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Clicking on the link leads to a 404 error. 🤷🏼

Name:  IMG_6805.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  25.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    I bought a set of Eagle grips for the Python. My grip kept moving up the backstrap while firing with the OEM Service Grip, which sometimes blocked the hammer’s rearward movement. Ideally, a Tyler T-Grip would solve the problem because of the increase in front-to-back grip geometry. But they seemed to be hard to find, so I looked for a grip that would increase front-to-back geometry and not extend past the butt frame. The Eagle Grips do both.

I tested the grips, firing 100 rounds of assorted ammo, including Underwood .38 Special, 150-grain wadcutter (my carry ammo), Precision Delta .38 Special, 148-grain wadcutter range ammo, Underwood 357 Magnum, 180-grain 357 flat nose, Buffalo Bore 357 Magnum, 158-grain Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil Low Flash, and Barnes 357 Magnum, 140-grain VOR-TX.

The Good: My grip stayed locked throughout the firing. The front-to-back geometry, finger grooves, and Eagle Reactiv checkering all played a part in a solid grip. The grip not extending past the frame is another plus. I was in an NPE for two days this week without anyone noticing. There is much to be said for revolver concealability when no one spots you wearing a 41-ounce Python monster.

The Bad: My pinky did not sit entirely on the grip. It hung slightly off, but I could still apply pressure with my pinky to control the gun. It did sit on the OEM Service Grip shown in previous pictures. A two-handed grip that applies pressure to the pinky and front strap makes up for the bad.

The Ugly: The screw and fitment are gold. Aesthetically, silver would be better. It’s a minor nit that I probably won’t notice months later.

Overall: The grips do what I want. They help lock the grip and are very concealable. As for the grip color, I lived in Nebraska for ten years. GBR.

Name:  IMG_1491.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  100.3 KB
    I have to tell you the idea of a 3” set up like yours (sights and stocks) is very appealing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List