Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .357 140 grain xtp data

Name:  20200220_101239.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  59.9 KB
    Looks like i can get expansion from my 2.75" m66 with the 140xtp over 9gr unique.

Just shot water. Went through 11" in ziplocks in a box, one 6" milk jug, then bounced off a motts apple juice jug. Was a pain to find. I thought i lost it. I did shoot a video but it doesn't really show anything except me sounding confused.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  20200220_101239.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  59.9 KB
    Looks like i can get expansion from my 2.75" m66 with the 140xtp over 9gr unique.

Just shot water. Went through 11" in ziplocks in a box, one 6" milk jug, then bounced off a motts apple juice jug. Was a pain to find. I thought i lost it. I did shoot a video but it doesn't really show anything except me sounding confused.
    Have a friend using these 140gr XTPs in 357 Sig very successfully on deer and hogs at 1300fps. Want to try the same combo here but restricted to straight wall cartridges for deer.

I wouldn't be worried about upping speed when you get to other powders down the road. XTP's even going 200-300fps past velocity envelope in rifles get wider and lose a jacket petal or two...still going to penetrate as well as a Gold Dot or similar. All good bullets like velocity.

Outside of one light factory loaded AG 9mm 115gr XTP to a bull's head...can't think of hearing another time someone has shot something reasonable size with one that didn't get to the offside or exit, regardless of caliber, grain, and velocity.

In my experience wounds absolutely do change at higher speed, for the better.

Name:  20200305_124403.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  32.9 KB
    Name:  20200305_124411.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  48.3 KB

Bullet from my 2.75" m66 on the right. Same load from my 20" m92.

Guessing around 1550fps.
    Found it in the 5th gallon Ziploc bag. About 17" but thats just a guess.

Bullets are switched now
    Name:  20200305_125501.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  38.0 KB

The 140 holds together really well i think. I dont know how much faster you could push it before it starts to break apart even more. One of the lead petals did break off but all of the copper stayed attached.

Fwiw the 125 Remington sjhp factory load penatrated into 2 milk jugs. I found the very base of the jacket and another tiny piece in the second. Nothing else survived. The first jug was shredded.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Have a friend using these 140gr XTPs in 357 Sig very successfully on deer and hogs at 1300fps. Want to try the same combo here but restricted to straight wall cartridges for deer.

I wouldn't be worried about upping speed when you get to other powders down the road. XTP's even going 200-300fps past velocity envelope in rifles get wider and lose a jacket petal or two...still going to penetrate as well as a Gold Dot or similar. All good bullets like velocity.

Outside of one light factory loaded AG 9mm 115gr XTP to a bull's head...can't think of hearing another time someone has shot something reasonable size with one that didn't get to the offside or exit, regardless of caliber, grain, and velocity.

In my experience wounds absolutely do change at higher speed, for the better.
    One experiment I was always tempted to conduct was to see if I could get .357 revolver bullets to run safely in .357 SIG or especially 9x25 Dillon in a Glock 20.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    One experiment I was always tempted to conduct was to see if I could get .357 revolver bullets to run safely in .357 SIG or especially 9x25 Dillon in a Glock 20.
    As far as I know based on reloading buddies it's rare for .38 cal cup and core jacketed bullets to not work well in 9mm caliber pistols. You'd definitely want to run the speed up to match ideal velocity threshold with JHPs that have a purpose but even in 9mm Luger accuracy is good.

My oldest gun buddy in his 80's said they were doing it way back in the 60's and 70's with 9 and 38 Super. Almost all the barrels actually slug out at .3555 and .356 and 38 cal jacketdd bullets usually match up. Similar to 9mm Hornady Hap accuracy is slightly enhanced.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Almost all the barrels actually slug out at .3555 and .356 and 38 cal jacketdd bullets usually match up. Similar to 9mm Hornady Hap accuracy is slightly enhanced.
    Yeah on the slugging/groove diameters. Slug your barrel before doing it, though, I reckon.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

As far as I know based on reloading buddies it's rare for .38 cal cup and core jacketed bullets to not work well in 9mm caliber pistols. You'd definitely want to run the speed up to match ideal velocity threshold with JHPs that have a purpose but even in 9mm Luger accuracy is good.

My oldest gun buddy in his 80's said they were doing it way back in the 60's and 70's with 9 and 38 Super. Almost all the barrels actually slug out at .3555 and .356 and 38 cal jacketdd bullets usually match up. Similar to 9mm Hornady Hap accuracy is slightly enhanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yeah on the slugging/groove diameters. Slug your barrel before doing it, though, I reckon.
    My thought was that running a nominal .357 slug down a .356 barrel might raise pressures a touch.

The 9x25 Dillon would be something other than a curiosity if it could run bullets actually designed to function at those velocity levels. I'm not entirely certain the juice would be worth the squeeze, but it would be fun to play with.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You could get a custom barrel made for one of those calibers with .357 groove diameter. Would likely need to adjust certain chamber dimensions, and possibly get dies modified. It would be truly snowflake.

Or you could find someone with a Pressure Trace setup and test the pressures with standard barrel and big bullets. Would want to check a bunch of chamber and loaded cartridge dims to make sure I wasn't going to have trouble before touching off a live one.

Or you could just buy a(nother?) 10mm gun and go make meat.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Had a Schuemann ultimatch gain twist barrel in my custom limited gun. His recommendations for bullet size are .002-.003" over barrel groove dia. for lead bullets and .001-.002" over for jacketed.

Initial pressure would seem like it would spike a little higher but once the bullet has swaged itself into and is traveling down the barrel I doubt there's any real difference. I don't run my bullets quite that big, but don't think it hurts much to do so either. I've long sized my cast bullets .0015" over groove dia. and have ran some pretty hot 296/H110 loads through magnums to no ill effect.

User Tag List