Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SecureIt Agile 52 Residential Security Cabinet

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Review: SecureIt Agile 52 Residential Security Cabinet

So I posted here a few weeks ago asking for advice on a safe to replace my stack-on two-door gun safety cabinet. Ended up buying two of the SecureIt Agile 52 security cabinets as they seemed to fit my needs as a renter who will likely be fairly itinerant over the next ~5-10 years. Historically I've always bought Sentry Safe style security cabinets but never really loved them - in addition to always feeling kind of cheap, they are heavy and bulky and not valuable enough to be worth moving across the country, which, due to my career, I have had to do fairly often. As a result, I've either given or thrown away 6 of these safes now, which probably adds up to ~$1500-$2000 or so over the last 10 years.

the appeal of the Agile 52 was 3 fold:

1. these RSCs break down into 5 sides and the door. In total they weigh only ~120lb or so and can be very quickly assembled with just a 10mm socket wrench. this makes moving to new apartments less of a pain, and means I am much more likely to keep them in my next cross country move.

2. the louvered storage system. Would allow me a lot of leeway in how to organize the interior of the safes. Also, long guns are stacked vertically facing the door and truly hold their listed capacity (vs. Stack On products whose listed long arm capacity is only accurate if you are storing slick sided guns without bipods, offset lights, etc).

3. A much smaller point, but their cabinet doors are much thicker and better designed than most RSCs, so when mounted such that the sides are shielded, it offers more security than an RSC I've owned - these typically have doors made of the same 16ga steel as all of the sides. Also, has an electronic lock with keyed back-up, which was another nice feature.

Anyway. I placed my order for the 2 safes plus a few accessories. My order arrived about 10 days later. Assembling the safes was easy and straightforward, and I got them mounted in my closet no problem. the electronic lock takes 1x 9V battery, which is easy to install and the combination likewise easy to set. Each safe came with two back-up skeleton keys which let you gain access to the safe if the battery dies or the electronic lock itself fails. Only issue I had was I lost one of the tiny screws that holds a face-plate which covers the back-up key hole. SecureIt sent me a replacement in under a week for free, no hassle. I also recently bought some motion-activated battery-powered lights for the interior, which were well worth it.

I am very, very happy with these cabinets. My only real critique is the price - ~$1600 for the two safes plus the extra pistol peg board, shelving, and door storage organizers I ordered. However, given that this is about how much I've literally thrown away over the last 10 years, I reasoned that if these last me until I am ready to buy a home and a real safe to go with it, the amortized cost will be a savings. the are also clearly assembled to a higher standard of quality than any other big-box store RSC I've ever owned, as well.

Anyway, on to the photos:

First safe, which holds my ARs and loaded carry pistols. You can see the door organizer here pretty well, which I really like. Going to buy some web gear soon-ish to store loaded AR and pistol mags on the MOLLE straps you can see towards the top. Note the pistol sleeves towards the middle - they aren't very heavy duty, but perfect for lighter handguns (e.g. my S&W 442).

A better view of the interior of the same safe. You can see their long gun mounting brackets pretty well here. the black balls let you grab the elastic cording attached to each mount and slip them over the barrel to keep the muzzle in place and protect against them tipping over or falling. Not as useful for my SBRs/AR pistol as they have forward-mounted lights that don't really fit in the dimensions of the mounting bracket unless I tuck them under, but this isnt a big deal really.

My other safe, which I use to store my non-AR long guns and pistols that are kept unloaded. Also, while hard to see (look at level of the loading gates on my shotguns) , I have several thin shelves installed that let me store odds and ends like magazines, speedloaders, JHP ammo, etc. As long as you don't have terribly large scopes on any of your long arms, these fit behind them very nicely.

A second view of the 11-gun pistol peg board. Probably my favorite accessory - allows for very efficient handgun storage . Only critique is that it is designed for 9mm caliber and larger pistols - the pegs will not fit .22 barrels. fortunately, I only own one of those, and it is light enough that it fits in the door organizer pistol sleeve (pictured in part in the bottom right of photo above).

Happy to answer any questions you guys might have. Really, my only reservation about these products is the price. If that doesn't deter you, however, these are a great option for fellow renters for whom a real safe is not a realistic option.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 12-26-2019 at 09:45 AM.

This is pretty cool, Andi think appropriate for my home. I'm warming to the idea of multiple safes, but I would need to rearrange things to accommodate the added wall space. I currently have a Stackon steel security cabinet which is "concealed" inside of wood cabinets.

Nice looking system. The only drawback appears to be the 10mm socket. You turn your back on them and they disappear to an alternate universe.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Your collection, system ..and you in fact SUCK!!!

But seriously-I am most impressed. There is no question that these modular safe systems are the way to go unless/until one can put down roots and really bolt something down or build a vaulted safe room etc.

Please tell me you have those specially scheduled on your insurance as a non theft loss (fire, water damage, etc) is your most likely risk in many rental situations.

PS- 10 MM sockets should be bought in threes-one in the extras bin, one in the tool box and one strategically placed on, in or near where you last used the 10 MM socket. i.e. changing a brake light on a 95 Jeep Cherokee.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 12-26-2019 at 01:31 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Your collection, system ..and you in fact SUCK!!!

But seriously-I am most impressed. There is no question that these modular safe systems are the way to go unless/until one can put down roots and really bolt something down or build a vaulted safe room etc.

Please tell me you have those specially scheduled on your insurance as a non theft loss (fire, water damage, etc) is your most likely risk in many rental situations
    Yup, all my firearms are listed as on a rider on my renters insurance policy. Actually need to update that now that you mention it....
    Last edited by Nephrology; 12-26-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Glad I could help.

Happy New Year! Best wishes on your studies.

So I just bought one of these and it arrived today. I was initially planning to buy a more traditional gun safe but my house is on a post tension slab foundation so I wouldn’t have been able to drill into the flooring on the first floor to bolt it in. A traditional safe would also likely be too heavy to mount on the second floor. With the Agile safe I can bolt it into the flooring on the second floor without too much hassle. I just need to cut out some carpet in one of our closets. Depending on how this thing works out, I might end up buying a second one down the road.

For anyone considering one, all SecureIt products are on sale right now. The shipping is a kick in the ass but it is a box that weighs over 100#. I paid $880 for the most expensive Agile 52 setup (comes with a box of shelves, buckets, and the door organizer) after shipping.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I need some info on those lights you have in there, my safe needs lights badly.

Can these be setup to open the door to the left as well as right?

Another Q - How big are the boxes these ship in? Flat pack furniture from Ikea or pallet sized?

I’m thinking of ordering three 40s at this stage for ammo and guns.

User Tag List